Optimum Bullet Weights

Pygmy

I read an article sometime back that discussed the fact that each cartridge has an optimum bullet weight.  This does not mean that other bullet weights are not useful and effective in a given chambering, but only that there is one bullet weight for each caliber that gives , on average, the best BALANCE of trajectory, energy, and performance for big game hunting.

As I remember it, here are the optimum bullet weights for a few of our most popular cartridges.

25-06.........100 grain

.270 Win.......130 grain

7mm08/.280/7x57.....140 grain

7MM Rem Mag.........160 grain

.308 Win...............150 grain

30-06..............165 grain

.300 Win mag......180 grain

.338 Win mag......250 grain

Bball.........Sorry to leave out the .223. It is generally considered a varmint cartridge

I was talking about deer and LARGER game...

I  don't have any problem with  hunters using a .22 centerfire on deer, as long as they realize it's limitations and only take good shots. It also helps to use bullets designed for the job, I think Barnes X or Nosler partitions might be a good choice in the .223. I would avoid the extra explosive bullets designed for varmints.

I agree pygmy 223 is a little on the light side for deer and those would be about the only two bullets i would use on it also. didnt know u were limiting it to deer sized bullets. Since i went to Quebec bear hunting and was offered a position at the guides i have become interested in the Marlin express cartridges. Does anyone have any reviews on these bullets?

How about a 44 Mag, just wondering what your take might be on that grain...  I have taken 2 Northern Bucks with this round.  I have used 200 plus grains and sometimes higher...  Hits them hard but does not always come out the other side...

I read an article sometime back that discussed the fact that each cartridge has an optimum bullet weight.  This does not mean that other bullet weights are not useful and effective in a given chambering, but only that there is one bullet weight for each caliber that gives , on average, the best BALANCE of trajectory, energy, and performance for big game hunting.

Is that right that bullet weight alone can establish a "best balance of trajectory, energy, and performance"? I would have thought that such optimum specs would be some kind of combination of bullet weight, powder/powder volumes, and even primers. Or am I mis-understanding something here.

Doc, I believe that the optimum bullet weight concept ASSUMES an optimum powder charge for each bullet weight.

It is also a very general guide and I just posted it for sake of conversation. Very often, for specific game or applications, heavier or lighter bullets might do a better job. Perhaps I can explain it better with an illustration.

30-06  Bullets are available ( with a few exceptions) from 110 grains to 220 grains.

Most .30 cal. bullets of LESS than 150 grains are designed for varmints, so that narrows the range from 150 to 220 grains.

The 165 shoots nearly as flat as the 150 with more energy.

It also provides nearly as much energy as the 180, with a somewhat flatter trajectory.

With bullets OVER 180 grains, velocity drops, with correspondingly LESS flat trajectory.

So if someone wants an ALL AROUND bullet weight for the 30-06, 165 grains is a good place to start.

Now if you are hunting BIG critters at moderate ranges ( 300 yards or less) it would make sense to use a 180, 200, or even 220 grain bullet.

If you want to hunt light big game such as whitetails or pronghorns with the possibility of some long shots, the 150 might be a better choice.

Rate of twist is certainly the starting point in bullet selection in a given caliber/chambering.

Lots of variables but you don't need to complicate things too much either.  Like I've seen on the web, "shut up and shoot" ain't a bad way to think! ;)

Tomorrow I plan on dumping some rounds down range.  Starting with the 243, then the 300 WSM and finishing up with the 375 H&H (my big medicine)

Hey NFA-ADK I  have used a 44mag to kill about 10 deer. Here is what I used most were killed  with a 245gr cast hp with a gas check, that a guy in pa. Cast for me but I think  he has passed a - way. What I am using now is 225gr hp by barns and 240 gr  xtphp by hornady, both have worked well with 100% pass though and good wound channels. 

Remember no matter what you use for deer once the  slug goes though all remaining energy is wasted.  8)

Thanks Larry, I have used the 240 hornady and think the federal 300 gr is a nice round too at close range.  Nice to hear I am not the only one who takes deer with this round, wow 10 deer, that pretty much proves the round is acceptable for deer to me.  You verified what I though I knew, 44Mag is a good close deer hunting round.  Those 245 gr cast hp with gas check, sounds interesting.  I love the gun because hiking a distance with the 30-06 in hand or even with the sling is a pain.  The 44 mag offers a easy carry and does not even require a sling keeping it ready when needed in hand.  Plus follow up shots are very easy as the recoil is minimal keeping your sights on the prey.  I will check those barns rounds out.  Thanks again, your knowledge is greatly appreciated!!!

Hey NFA-ADK I  have used a 44mag to kill about 10 deer. Here is what I used most were killed  with a 245gr cast hp with a gas check, that a guy in pa. Cast for me but I think  he has passed a - way. What I am using now is 225gr hp by barns and 240 gr  xtphp by hornady, both have worked well with 100% pass though and good wound channels. 

Remember no matter what you use for deer once the  slug goes though all remaining energy is wasted.  8)

• 2 weeks later...

I use a 117 gr Hornady SST for deer.  Its very acurate and extremely devistating on hollow organs.  It does not damage the meatmuch at all.  I foun dthat the bonded (Interbond) version of the bullet works in a more meat frinedly way than the locked (Interlock) version.  The SST Interlock is just too explosive on deer.  It sheds weight way too fast.  I was actually considering hunting with the 25-06 this season.  I use a 25-06 Weatherby Vanguard Sporter, nothing fancy, but its a tack driver!!!!

Two holes are better than one.

Not necessarily. I've found that a bullet that disintegrates inside the chest cavity gives drop dead results.

A bullet that disintegrates in the chest cavity is most certainly going do do the same on a shoulder blade or other similar body parts and quite possibly not be a lethal wound.

I'll go with two holes.

Chiming in again. I use an encore 25-06 when I drag out a center fire.  I shoot nosler partitions 115 grain pushed by hand loads of H4831SC  52.3 grains. They hit hard stay together and wipe out anything in its path on the way through.

I'm kind of two hole guy myself.

That's why I like Barnes X bullets so much. That and the fact that they shoot very accurately in my rifles.

I knew a girl one time who was a 3 holer, but that's a discussion for another ( non-public) forum... :) ...

Considering there is no reason to put a bullet into the shoulder blade unless you choose to that is not much of a problem.

Ahhh, I should have known.  Why didn't you mention earlier that you are perfect?  Silly me.

Have a great night.

Not saying I'm perfect. But if the deer is standing still my bullet is not going to end up in the shoulder blade unless I want it to. I've shot enough deer now to feel confident about that fact. I think you felt I was being arrogant but that was not my intent.