NYS Sheriff's Institute?

goosifer

I got a junk mail letter from the Erie county sheriff soliciting for the NYS Sheriff's Institute (not to be confused with the NYS Sheriffs' Association). $25 gets me an honorary membership, window decal and bumper sticker. There are so many of these law enforcement-related charities/fraternal organizations out there. I've thought about if it would be worth joining one just for the window decal. Not so much for getting out of a speeding ticket, but more just for general goodwill with a LEO should I get pulled over. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Mixed bag,with  so many of these stickers on cars today ,along with thin blue line ones . Just make sure it’s from a real local source ,many scammers out there . With today’s climate towards police some may appreciate the gesture, but they all know most just do it because they think it helps on traffic stops .

I always give to the one I get from my town cops, but it’s from their Union, the actual Sheriff , Police dept doesn’t solicit money . I always put my Union Local # on the form ,to,let them know we support them , never put the sticker on though .

26 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Mixed bag,with  so many of these stickers on cars today ,along with thin blue line ones . Just make sure it’s from a real local source ,many scammers out there . With today’s climate towards police some may appreciate the gesture, but they all know most just do it because they think it helps on traffic stops .

I always give to the one I get from my town cops, but it’s from their Union, the actual Sheriff , Police dept doesn’t solicit money . I always put my Union Local # on the form ,to,let them know we support them , never put the sticker on though .

Not sure you are good example as we all know you firemen get special treatment!

I was pulled over last week by a trooper.  I apologized, handed him a copy of my license and registration and told him I was meeting a friend to pick up my deer from last season.  His question was meat or mount.  I said mount and he handed me back my stuff and said be sure to go slow through Canandaigua as the locals won't cut me a break.  Maybe he was a hunter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

just searched ....thoroughly. maybe by multiple officers. not necessarily at the same time though so you should be fine.

With all my nooks and crannies, that would take a while. I suppose we all have our kinks.

• Haha 1