Jump to content

Youth baseball thread


Zag

Recommended Posts

Anyone baseball players have experience throwing shot put? My kid wants to join winter track primarily to lift (and he likes competing). How will learning shot put impact his throwing arm for pitching? It’s a completely different motion so not worried about over use just wondering if there is something I’m missing that would negatively impact his pitching development


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Was wondering if anyone here has heard of kangaroo court. We have kangaroo court north up here. It's a traveling baseball team. My son is 9 and a die hard baseball player. We're signing him up for little league for May and June. Then town ball after that. We missed the chance for tryouts seeing as I just heard about this team. Heard it gives kids a chance to be seen and better competition. Really like any feedback from any one. I know kangaroo court is out of Tampa Florida. Was started by a local from Plattsburgh NY.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Was wondering if anyone here has heard of kangaroo court. We have kangaroo court north up here. It's a traveling baseball team. My son is 9 and a die hard baseball player. We're signing him up for little league for May and June. Then town ball after that. We missed the chance for tryouts seeing as I just heard about this team. Heard it gives kids a chance to be seen and better competition. Really like any feedback from any one. I know kangaroo court is out of Tampa Florida. Was started by a local from Plattsburgh NY.

Haven’t heard of them. If your kid is 9, 1000% read the book I posted about above. I wish I read this before my kid started baseball. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Was wondering if anyone here has heard of kangaroo court. We have kangaroo court north up here. It's a traveling baseball team. My son is 9 and a die hard baseball player. We're signing him up for little league for May and June. Then town ball after that. We missed the chance for tryouts seeing as I just heard about this team. Heard it gives kids a chance to be seen and better competition. Really like any feedback from any one. I know kangaroo court is out of Tampa Florida. Was started by a local from Plattsburgh NY.

Also nobody is looking at 9 yr olds and thats facts. Who ever told you that is an idiot!! Also after reading the book, twitter is a great place to learn tons about all things baseball. Really u say? Yep tons of baseball people on here spreading helpful info. Dm me and I can give you some handles to start with.

Also don’t worry about competition so much, kids change a ton from year to year, focus more on him enjoying the game first and foremost. Better comp comes later when you son gets to the big fields.

Again read that book, its like $7 bucks on Amazon. Well worth the info!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Zag said:

Also nobody is looking at 9 yr olds and thats facts. Who ever told you that is an idiot!! Also after reading the book, twitter is a great place to learn tons about all things baseball. Really u say? Yep tons of baseball people on here spreading helpful info. Dm me and I can give you some handles to start with.

Also don’t worry about competition so much, kids change a ton from year to year, focus more on him enjoying the game first and foremost. Better comp comes later when you son gets to the big fields.

Again read that book, its like $7 bucks on Amazon. Well worth the info!!

Yes I just read what was on there website. Teams are 14u and 12 u. Then 15 u 11 u 12 u 10 u. Yea I know nobody is looking that young. Then traveling out of state.  I know to play you got to pay quite. I will read the book. He loves the game and understands more about it then me. Just want to make sure he has fun. Thanks for the information. I'm looking at investing in a batting cage and pitching machine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just got my sons 8u travel schedule.....wowza didn't realize we were gonna be in this deep for an 8u team. Looks like 11 travel league games.....one sat is setup for a double header......four tournaments and roughly 8 house league games. My guess is he dumps the sport all together after this season.....but we shall see. He is a mover and a shaker......might be alot of hurry up and wait time for him.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk



Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Yes I just read what was on there website. Teams are 14u and 12 u. Then 15 u 11 u 12 u 10 u. Yea I know nobody is looking that young. Then traveling out of state.  I know to play you got to pay quite. I will read the book. He loves the game and understands more about it then me. Just want to make sure he has fun. Thanks for the information. I'm looking at investing in a batting cage and pitching machine.

Some of the best years my kids had was playing travel Lacrosse during the summer. I don’t miss paying for gas, hotels, having to pay for breakfast, lunch, dinner for a full weekend, etc. but I’d do it all over again if they wanted now that they are in college!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Just got my sons 8u travel schedule.....wowza didn't realize we were gonna be in this deep for an 8u team. Looks like 11 travel league games.....one sat is setup for a double header......four tournaments and roughly 8 house league games. My guess is dumps the sport all together after this season.....but we shall see.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk
 

More practice and less games at that age!! I wouldn’t worry about travel ball till 10 or 12u. Read the book it will help trust me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

My daughter walking off that field for the final time this summer and its going to end me, enjoy it while it lasts gents!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aww. Keep us posted on the season  and any future softball plans for Emma!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best thing that happened to my kid and his development of his passion for baseball was having a bunch of his school friends be good multisport athletes and pick baseball in the spring. His first travel team (8u) was run by a super motivated father, another guy who was the uncle of a player and me. The three of us LOVED being at the field as much as the boys so the reps our team had were infinitely more compared to other programs at that age. We stayed together through the boys 13u season with a core group of players and “stole” some kids from other programs because we were always offering more chances for the kids to practice, hit or play. At 14u kid’s started to spread out. He still has 4 kids on his team now that were on the original 8u team which is a huge number in a lax crazy town.

Keep it fun, avoid the hype, find good kids at his school who play baseball and bring them to a program that is organized as a package. Last thing…be a multisport athlete. The burnout and physical toll on arms in particular is real in baseball.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My daughter walking off that field for the final time this summer and its going to end me, enjoy it while it lasts gents!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nut punch…that’s all I got that can compare to that I bet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both of my girls are playing house softball this year. 12u and 8u. Indoor practices already started last week but it’s just once a week, on a Saturday evening. 4-5 for 8u then 6-7 for 12u


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both of my girls are playing house softball this year. 12u and 8u. Indoor practices already started last week but it’s just once a week, on a Saturday evening. 4-5 for 8u then 6-7 for 12u


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope there’s a great pizza place nearby for the 5-6 hour


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I hope there’s a great pizza place nearby for the 5-6 hour


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last week we killed time by shopping. We need to find something better. This week we might divide and conquer but then that’s both vehicles driving 20 min there and back.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Uh oh…my son said to me today, “when i was warming up for light bench press, I felt something funny in my shoulder so I stopped immediately and just did extra legs.”
A. That’s cool he did extra legs!
B. WTF!! He’s one week from the official start of the season and has had a great off-season with his pitching .
C. It’s his left shoulder-he’s a right handed pitcher/corner infielder.
D. Doesn’t seem to hurt when hitting or throwing but need this squared away soon!

He’ll see the school trainer tomorrow but I just think he’s overdoing it a bit trying to both gain strength for football and prepare for pitching. It’s happened to him in the past when he had a growth spurt where he he gets “out of whack” and needs to be realigned. At 6’3” he better not be having another growth spurt…says his mother!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Last week we killed time by shopping. We need to find something better. This week we might divide and conquer but then that’s both vehicles driving 20 min there and back.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shed hunting woods?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Well son had little league try outs for majors 9-12. Minors are 7-11. He didn't do too well in the cold weather we had. So he didn't make majors. He told us he doesn't want to play minors. So we're on to new endeavor s. This kid lives breathe and eats baseball. Nothing like having his heart ripped out being cut. All is good reality and real life suck sometimes. I'll say it as it is if you don't have a name in this town you ain't going to be nothing. On the positive note he's ready to hunt with dad. Plus we can vacation without hassle of having to be somewhere else. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Well son had little league try outs for majors 9-12. Minors are 7-11. He didn't do too well in the cold weather we had. So he didn't make majors. He told us he doesn't want to play minors. So we're on to new endeavor s. This kid lives breathe and eats baseball. Nothing like having his heart ripped out being cut. All is good reality and real life suck sometimes. I'll say it as it is if you don't have a name in this town you ain't going to be nothing. On the positive note he's ready to hunt with dad. Plus we can vacation without hassle of having to be somewhere else. 

That sucks. There is too much organized baseball at that age, no reason for cuts or this team is better that that team. One kid being better that the other at that age doesn’t mean shit!!
There is a movie we watched a few years ago, ( true story) kid got cut, ticked him off and he worked is but off to be better next yr, kid ended up in the mlb. Keep him involved if possible.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...