Would you use a .410 for turkey?

Rattler

Seems to be a new fad brewing in the turkey woods.  With the dense tungsten shot, I'm sure it's effective within it's 40 yard limit, but the pattern is small and many may decide to push the limit, wounding a lot of birds.  The light weight does allow for a lot of woods cruising without getting tired.  I think I'll stick with the 12 gauge  3.5" mag.

This is just one of the new .410's "aimed" at turkey hunters.  Hunting turkey with a single shot is a whole nother thing in itself.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2019/4/28/sundaygunday-stevens-301-turkey/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0419

At 20 yards or less, even I would be confident of a kill.  But getting a bird that close is on the verge of "expert" skill level.  The .410 IMHO is a gun for experts as well, since it requires a lot of skill to be proficient with on most game.

It's also considered to be the most difficult gauge with which to score high in trap and skeet.

• Like 1

I don't see any difference using a .410 or a bow.  They both limit your effective range.  If you not proficient or haven't practiced/patterned will either, your chances of missing or wounding a bird increase. 

I like shooting trap with my 410.  It is a great challenge.  The secret is to acquire the target and shoot real fast, before it gets beyond the effective range of the pattern.     I would not use it in the spring for turkeys but I may try it in the fall.  Killing a turkey with my 12 gauge last fall seemed a little too easy.  Squirrel is also open at that time.  They are much more abundant than turkeys and the 410 is better for them than the 12 gauge because the sound is less and it takes less time for the woods to quiet down so that more come out.   Being light and easier to carry is another bonus.  In addition to limited range, an additional downside of the 410 is that the ammo is much more expensive.   On those fall hunts, grey squirrels will likely be my primary objective, but a turkey inside of 15 yards might be a good "target of opportunity".  I usually use #6's in the 410 for squirrels, and I suppose they would also be good for a turkey at less than 15 yards.  I also have a couple old boxes of #4's, which would probably be a little better on the turkeys.    

So the bottom line for me is that I will probably go for it in the fall, but definitely a no-go in the spring.          

Edited by wolc123

There are hunters that like challenging themselves by making their hunts tougher. Hunting black powder season with a patched ball fired from a primitive sidelock, archery season with a recurve bow, an open sighted handgun and handicapping using small gauge shotguns. Personally I have no problem with it as long as you know your limitations and are proficient with your chosen weapon inside of those parameters. 

Judging from the patterns shooting the heavy shot out of a properly choked 410 it would certainly be able to take a Turkey in the hands of a Turkey hunter that knows their stuff. As for me personally I am far from the greatest when it comes to hunting Turkeys and need all the help I can get so I will continue to hunt with my 870 12 gauge throwing large loads of shot.:yes:

Al

• Like 4

Not asking to feed fuel to any fires I was just curious of the pellet number difference between 12, 20, and 410, using the same brand and shot size for Turkey loads.

Last I knew which is not for Turkey I know, 8 shot difference was like 500 for 12 gauge, and like 350 for 20 gauge, which is a big difference.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk