Frankensight

Gonna try to get Tacks into a multipin slider on the cheap . Had an old sight laying around and the plan is to mount it to his existing HHA.  Still some finishing touches and some black paint but the dimension all seem to jive.

20190530_092615.jpg

20190530_110502.jpg

20190530_112750.jpg

20190530_160436.jpg

20190530_160450.jpg

• Like 5

Wow! Awesome machine work Jeremy! Looks sweet.

But I'm not too bright sometimes so I'll ask the question. Why do you need multiple pins on a sliding sight like an HHA? Mine has a single pin that I slide to the desired range.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, grampy said:

Wow! Awesome machine work Jeremy! Looks sweet.

But I'm not too bright sometimes so I'll ask the question. Why do you need multiple pins on a sliding sight like an HHA? Mine has a single pin that I slide to the desired range.

When my dial is at 20 , my pins are 20,30,40 ,perfect for the treestand . When shooting the 3d leagues ,the dial adjusts the top pin from 20 to 70ish. Kind of the best of both worlds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy K said:

When my dial is at 20 , my pins are 20,30,40 ,perfect for the treestand . When shooting the 3d leagues ,the dial adjusts the top pin from 20 to 70ish. Kind of the best of both worlds.

Thank you!  Makes perfect sense. I knew there was a logical answer, that my brain couldn't compute.

Again......nice work!

• Like 1

It’s just so Tacks has another excuse for a poor shot on the last target at the 3D league! To many moving parts.

Kidding of course, Tacks will our shoot me any day of the week with or without a sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

It’s just so Tacks has another excuse for a poor shot on the last target at the 3D league! To many moving parts.

Kidding of course, Tacks will our shoot me any day of the week with or without a sites.

I have a fail safe machined in to it for when he starts to run away with it , it's programmed to sporadically move.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

How impact resistant is it??

Lol this is great, I can’t wait to try it out. We should shoot the Allied league next Tuesday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hopefully I'll have the new bow all dialed in this weekend . I'd love to get out and shoot a round with it.

59 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

So will the sight tapes work the same? That sorcery escapes me

It will work exactly the same . The top pin will act as your single pin does now. Think of it as this , set the dial at 20 yards and you now have a 3 pin fixed sight for hunting .  When it's time to dial in an exact yardage ,you would use the dial and aim with the top pin ,completely ignoring the 2nd and 3rd pin.

• Like 1

So I assume you set the slider to 20 and you have 20, 30 40 pins.  Then you set the slider to x and have longer distances but they will be closer in yardage gap like 50-60 70 (or whatever they work out since) you don't reset the 3 pins. 

Nevermind - I see how you plan to use it.

Edited by moog5050

12 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

But isn't the ideal feature of a slider is to be able to set it at the perfect actual range?  Great machining work but sure sounds like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist to me. Too many possibilities to have something slip your mind in the heat of the moment. Probably will work fine for 3D.

What I would love to see someone come up with is a better index finger operated adjusting system that can be adjusted while at draw. I took mine off becasue the Touchmaster was just too big and cumbersome. 

http://www.sight-master.com/p44.html

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

But isn't the ideal feature of a slider is to be able to set it at the perfect actual range?  Great machining work but sure sounds like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist to me. Too many possibilities to have something slip your mind in the heat of the moment. Probably will work fine for 3D.

What I would love to see someone come up with is a better index finger operated adjusting system that can be adjusted while at draw. I took mine off becasue the Touchmaster was just too big and cumbersome. 

http://www.sight-master.com/p44.html

Its 2 sights in one , 3 pin fixed for hunting and adjustable for 3d shooting . There's nothing to think about other then which of the three pins to use when hunting.

Just now, Jeremy K said:

Its 2 sights in one , 3 pin fixed for hunting and adjustable for 3d shooting . There's nothing to think about other then which of the three pins to use when hunting.

Seems like the best of both worlds if you like shooting long range for fun.  And honestly, if you were Biz and planned to shoot a deer at 80-100yds with ease, you will have plenty of time to make sure that 20yd pin is adjusted via the slider.

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Seems like the best of both worlds if you like shooting long range for fun.  And honestly, if you were Biz and planned to shoot a deer at 80-100yds with ease, you will have plenty of time to make sure that 20yd pin is adjusted via the slider.

Not only would you have time to make sure it's set right but you could enter the shot in your mathews shot count log book.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

My concern was using the slider in a hunting situation with 3 pins on it. Seems like to much of a chance to grab the wrong pin to me. We all know what can happen when Mr. Big shows up. If it is just bing used as a fixed sight for hunting, I get that. 

• Like 1

My concern was using the slider in a hunting situation with 3 pins on it. Seems like to much of a chance to grab the wrong pin to me. We all know what can happen when Mr. Big shows up. If it is just bing used as a fixed sight for hunting, I get that. 

Once hunting season hits , my slider stays locked in at 20 yards . I could never adjust that thing and get a shot at a deer,I would spook 10 out of 10 deer if I was screwing around with adjusting.

A few years ago I had a true slammer stand like a statue at 60 yards for over half an hour. He had a doe feeding next to him and wasnt letting her out of his sight. If I had this sight I'd have slid it to 60 and taken that shot. This was state land too it would have been the deer of a lifetime

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Once hunting season hits , my slider stays locked in at 20 yards . I could never adjust that thing and get a shot at a deer,I would spook 10 out of 10 deer if I was screwing around with adjusting.

I get it.

I practiced with the slider locked on my HHA, out to 40 yards just so I knew how much to hold over for different ranges. Kinda does defeat the the reason for a sliding sight. But after being busted trying to adjust for yardage, a couple times when decent bucks just popped out. (hunting from the ground mostly) I just started using the one pin.

My new to me Obsession bow, has the three fixed pins sight, and I kinda like that better, as it will take away a lot of the guessing during the moment of truth. As long as I know how far away the deer is.

But for 3D you have all the time needed to adjust the slider to the desired range for an accurate shot. So that works perfect too.

Best of both worlds!  Pretty smart thinking Jeremy!

• Like 1

And you have nothing to worry about because starting this year, like the rest of the trad bow hunters, you simply guess on where to aim.  lol

• Like 1

And you have nothing to worry about because starting this year, like the rest of the trad bow hunters, you simply guess on where to aim.  lol

You mean you don’t just guess when shooting compound as well? Sometimes I even close my eyes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

You mean you don’t just guess when shooting compound as well? Sometimes I even close my eyes.

I mostly assume the deer will cooperate and step in front of the arrow, whatever I am shooting.

• Haha 1