Why there's no dove hunting season in NY

Elmo

If it isn't deer, they just don't care.  This prevailing attitude amongst hunters is a bit of a concern.  47.4% didn't respond and 16.9% doesn't care.  That's almost 65% of applicants.  Sure it's not deer but I'm pretty sure youth hunters wouldn't mind having another species they can legally hunt.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/59626.html

Morning Doves have to be one of the stupidist birds out there . They come to the feeders and when I rap on the window to shoo away the starlings / blackbirds the doves just keep on eating and looling like , what's going on ...

They are plentiful and their coo-ing noise is irritable !

Morning Doves have to be one of the stupidist birds out there . They come to the feeders and when I rap on the window to shoo away the starlings / blackbirds the doves just keep on eating and looling like , what's going on ...

They are plentiful and their coo-ing noise is irritable !

Yeah, doesn't seem to me like it'd be much fun standing around wringing Mourning Dove necks all day.  Plus I grew up shooting pigeons off the silo and they just seem like classier pigeons to me.  Wouldn't eat one of those rats-with-wings so I don't see me sitting down to a big platter of dove any time soon.

Dove hunting with a dog is one of the greatest things going.  Plenty of action for the pup and some tasty fare for the table.  We've been hunting PA. for 10-12 years and usually get into them pretty good. 

Too bad we can't hunt them here.

Another pic from a couple years ago..........

post-543-131455474287_thumb.jpg

Sleep in (can't start until noon in early season) , smoke a cigar, enjoy the start of fall, watch the dog work the downed birds, laugh at misses, brag up the good shots,  have a sundowner at the tailgate then head to town for a good dinner. 

What's not to like about it? ;)

Lawdwaz - Looks like a lot of fun!  New Yorkers are really missing out.

132 Eight Pointer - Doves are not protected per se.  The only reason why it there isn't a hunting season is because no one took the time to catergorize them as either a migratory bird or upland bird.