I called the local feed store last night, they don't have any winter wheat, so I think I'll do rye mixed with oats.  Hoping to get it done tomorrow, before the rain on Saturday.

As I recall it was 30$ for a 50# bag of rye, a little more for the oats.  Plus I have to add phosphate and quick acting lime.  Be around 100$ when I walk out of there 

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Maybe keep half fenced to ensure a good late season source. Looking good, I've been waiting for some updates on the progress!

Switching gears to habitat improvements!

30 minutes ago, zag said:

Maybe keep half fenced to ensure a good late season source. Looking good, I've been waiting for some updates on the progress!

Hmm. Not a bad idea. 

• Like 1

It's early still and I know you mentioned deer wiped it out last yr, fencing off gives you a little insurance policy for later on. If they wipe it out like last yr then there's no ponderosa buffet to hunt at. This could hold the deer you want closer to you then the neighbors. Gl

Edited by zag

2 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Brassicas don’t have pods lol

Though you did beans with fence.   Different plot?

After walking the plot, I noticed That quite a bit of it didn’t do as well as other parts. I think This will be my last year planting the generic seed from Turners. Some parts are about 2 feet deep and other areas are maybe 8”. Talked to a couple of others that used the same seed, and they had the same results. Next year I’m going to try either WI seed or Frigid Forage, as Ive heard great things about those brassicas. The red and ladino clover did great though. I ended Up taking the whole fence down. If they mow this down completely before gun season, I’ll be shocked. 

haley and I took Some of the posts and staked out 20, 30 and 40 yard markers from the shooting tower and the double set at the other end. It will make it nice for her to judge bow ranges. 

12860783-EE24-44DA-8693-05A53C527B33.jpeg

• Like 1

Yeah you can see the little growth patches, in all looks darn good especially with the slight leaf color change in the background!! I checked ours today and is still looking good but you can deff see they are hitting it pretty hard. Every cam pic has a ton of deer in it. I'm trying to come up with a name for the plot since it always has deer in it (bucks and doe's). Keep us posted on the browse pressure!!

If you try another seed maybe split the plot in half, half WI and half FF for comparison. I've never been disappointed with WI.

• Like 1

Here’s another nice pic Of the plot and the east end of the property I got with the drone the other day. The leaves are starting to change and it’s looking pretty around here. 

748BCEF6-8738-4548-9D5B-68A357305457.jpeg

• Like 4

Here’s another nice pic Of the plot and the east end of the property I got with the drone the other day. The leaves are starting to change and it’s looking pretty around here. 
748BCEF6-8738-4548-9D5B-68A357305457.thumb.jpeg.e69fd6008a87270841f5a899c3c19e20.jpeg

Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

12 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

748BCEF6-8738-4548-9D5B-68A357305457.jpeg

Dang, I need a drone!! Or maybe I can hire ya

1 minute ago, zag said:

Dang, I need a drone!! Or maybe I can hire ya

I can do pics for you sometime. I’ve done property pics for a few people. 

Nice pics man. I love drone shots of food plots. They are amazing with the fall foliage and green lush plots. gets me all warm inside lol! RRan my buddies DJI at my place a couple winters ago.  with a bit of snow on the ground this winter. snow makes some pretty pics too!

gham-drone-DJI_0961[1].jpg

gham-drone-DJI_0957[1].jpg

• Like 3

I was wondering how you got such sweet pics WNY, that's frigging awesome.  How much $$ it take to get the drone up and running if you don't mind my asking?

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

17 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I was wondering how you got such sweet pics WNY, that's frigging awesome.  How much $$ it take to get the drone up and running if you don't mind my asking?

The one I have was a couple of grand. You can find less pricey ones though. 

14 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I can do pics for you sometime. I’ve done property pics for a few people. 

Appreciate the gesture to someone you have never met!! 

• Like 1

Oh boy the browse pressure begins!! Gl

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zag said:

Oh boy the browse pressure begins!! Gl

The fun thing is, because of the posts we put out, I can see how many of them are within range of my stand and shooting tower lol.

3 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The fun thing is, because of the posts we put out, I can see how many of them are within range of my stand and shooting tower lol.

You're on your way to having a remote operated crossbow in that tower.  Or even better... attached to your drone. 

• Haha 1

WNY the one thing I found the first browse pressure they hit the smaller plants leaving the bigger ones for late, so some times it helps having smaller size plant

5 minutes ago, land 1 said:

WNY the one thing I found the first browse pressure they hit the smaller plants leaving the bigger ones for late, so some times it helps having smaller size plant

From what I have seen so far, I think they are mostly hitting smaller plants and the clover right now based on the areas of the plot they have been in. They have been pounding my clover plot as well lately.