practice with field points?

Robhuntandfish

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

Some people like a teeny bit of high nock. Also the biscuit can hide some tuning errors

i am betting this might be it.  So the arrow should be almost 90 degrees to the bow?  and why would this cause a difference with the BH and field point ?  would seem to me the arrows would all still be the same.  Esp when the only difference is when the broadhead is on.  

damn i hate to change anything but it also bothers me that it isnt right.  lol.  What time does the academy start tonite? and can i get a guest pass if i get two members to vouch for me? - if only it wasnt 6 hours of driving - 

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i am betting this might be it.  So the arrow should be almost 90 degrees to the bow?  and why would this cause a difference with the BH and field point ?  would seem to me the arrows would all still be the same.  Esp when the only difference is when the broadhead is on.  

damn i hate to change anything but it also bothers me that it isnt right.  lol.  What time does the academy start tonite? and can i get a guest pass if i get two members to vouch for me? - if only it wasnt 6 hours of driving - 

Any little variation is exaggerated by the broadhead. Given enough travel time the vanes will correct it but by then its in your neighbors pool liner

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

90 degrees up to 1/8" high of 90 is the norm.  Check with a square to string.  If you are higher than that, I am not surprised BHs are hitting low.  Different for trad bows since they are affected by finger pressure and are often up to 3/4" high but with a D loop and release, you should be in that range.  If you adjust it, be careful because your first shot will be high!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

actually i think i got it - its because the broadhead is taking more time to get right with spin ...

Think of an arrow leaving less than perfectly straight once its released.  With only a FP, the fletching corrects quickly but with the front also being steered by the BH, it takes far longer and will correct on a less than perfect path.  The BH steers it.

• Like 3

Moved D loop down last night for a lower knock point.  DIdnt get to shoot as it was storming and need to go to my buddies house with woods behind since i made this adj to be safe.  Dont want to shoot one through the neighbors pool liner like Moog said. 

So hoping this adj works out and if it doesnt I have someone to blame if I miss a deer this season! lol    

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

After reading this thread decided to shoot my bh and im samr height just 6inches right with fp.  Itll give me something to work on this weekend.

I had the same problem,and it was a combination of things for me. My Draw Length was too short and my grip torqued the bow some. You could try adjusting the rest to the left a little,but if that doesnt change things you need to look at the whole picture. 

Bow square, dude. :pleasantry: Or like ^^^, go back to some of the basic bow s/u items.

Hoping we can agree to disagree - but I've found FPs do NOT shoot the same as BHs in any of the compound bows I've owner. Even mechanical BHs shoot slightly different than comparable weight FPs, hardly enough difference to adj sight pins though. Certain brands, styles of fixed BHs can be finicky. Now you're into the mystical science of tuning arrows - FOC, straightness, flexing, BH vanes aligned with fletchings, small vanes vs larger/longer ones, spacers, adding lighted nocks, abra-cadabra.

24 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I had the same problem,and it was a combination of things for me. My Draw Length was too short and my grip torqued the bow some. You could try adjusting the rest to the left a little,but if that doesnt change things you need to look at the whole picture. 

I have 3 different spine arrows, i want to see if there is a difference in them.  Otherwise ill starts doing small tweaks.  Ive got time to get it in.  

On 8/6/2019 at 11:39 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

Damn it you guys are gonna make me tweak my bow when it shoots touching groups already.  Is that damn crossbow bill gonna pass or what!?  Lol

Gonna have to try a paper tune. But I get pass thrus on all the deer I've shot with this bow too.  But will try to play with it before season. Am thinking then like Bowman Mike and buckmaster said might be an adj up/down on nock point. 

Thanks all

you should get a bow press, vise, and other goodies. then we you have it practical perfect you'll only be free to tinker and screw it up, trying to make what's practically perfect absolutely perfect.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Can you shoot through paper? I’d start there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I have 3 different spine arrows, i want to see if there is a difference in them.  Otherwise ill starts doing small tweaks.  Ive got time to get it in.  

don't shoot through paper at a single distance. perfect arrows still flex and bad arrows oscillate. shoot at different distances under 10 yards when you think it's good. Tim Gillingham told me to do this. Then another good shot told me to put more emphasis on "french" or walk back tuning. paper tuning does make weird form quirks show themselves though.

8 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

After reading this thread decided to shoot my bh and im samr height just 6inches right with fp.  Itll give me something to work on this weekend.

depending on where the target sits compared to you holding the bow your form might change a little shooting at a different spot. i suppose you could ruin arrows but shooting BH first and then FP at same spot you should be fine.

7 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Moved D loop down last night for a lower knock point.  DIdnt get to shoot as it was storming and need to go to my buddies house with woods behind since i made this adj to be safe.  Dont want to shoot one through the neighbors pool liner like Moog said. 

So hoping this adj works out and if it doesnt I have someone to blame if I miss a deer this season! lol    

5 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Bow square, dude. :pleasantry: Or like ^^^, go back to some of the basic bow s/u items.

Hoping we can agree to disagree - but I've found FPs do NOT shoot the same as BHs in any of the compound bows I've owner. Even mechanical BHs shoot slightly different than comparable weight FPs, hardly enough difference to adj sight pins though. Certain brands, styles of fixed BHs can be finicky. Now you're into the mystical science of tuning arrows - FOC, straightness, flexing, BH vanes aligned with fletchings, small vanes vs larger/longer ones, spacers, adding lighted nocks, abra-cadabra.

not all bows tune perfectly when setting nocked arrow with a bow square. some have vertical nock travel you just can't correct.  IMO nock height has major effects on how solid the bow holds. if cams and other stuff slightly off leads you to be nock high a little then sometimes it's high enough where it doesn't hold as nice. a lot goes into tuning a bow well versus well enough.

• Like 2

I have spent far more time than I care to admit tuning both compounds and trad bows.  Good enough is usually good enough (unless you are obsessive like me) but 3-6" difference between BH (any BH) and FP at 20yds is not near good enough IMO.   Definitely losing energy there.  Walk back tuning is the easiest for most people. 

55 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I have spent far more time than I care to admit tuning both compounds and trad bows.  Good enough is usually good enough (unless you are obsessive like me) but 3-6" difference between BH (any BH) and FP at 20yds is not near good enough IMO.   Definitely losing energy there.  Walk back tuning is the easiest for most people. 

Provided youre making good shots I agree. Dont shoot 30 arrows and then start a walk back tune session youd just drive yourself crazy

24 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i've hung weight with a string and walk back tuned with 15 yards of range in a basement. takes some arrows to do it. definitely times you have to take a break and go back to it if you're getting really particular.

Opportunity to post my ingenious paper tuner: Hang a Chip Clip from the ceiling with a piece of paper in it in front of your target. Another Chip Clip on the bottom tightens it up but isnt necessary

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Provided youre making good shots I agree. Dont shoot 30 arrows and then start a walk back tune session youd just drive yourself crazy

Agreed.  One can only tune within the range of their consistency.  The better you shoot, the more reliably you can tune.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Opportunity to post my ingenious paper tuner: Hang a Chip Clip from the ceiling with a piece of paper in it in front of your target. Another Chip Clip on the bottom tightens it up but isnt necessary

us poor people in CNY have to shoot outside without AC and we cant afford chip clips we have to roll the bag up or just finish them.  ugh! lol 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1