Serrated broadheads?

RPIBuckHunter

I believe they are legal.....but don't understand why anyone would want to use them unless you were going to stick it in them and pull it out a few times. Are you planning on sawing through your deer or slicing right through them? lol that's just me funnin'

Far as I know as long as the head meets the other legal criteria (diameter and non barbed) you should be good to go.

I don't think the law addresses edge configurations. I would recommend against getting involved in such things though. It certainly is not going to assist in penetration. There always is and always has been one or two heads on the market that have serrated edges, but I have to believe that if there was anything beneficial about that design, they would be the mainline design.

Doc

I have a different brand a Allen and it is in 125 gr 3 blade and meets all NY requirements.

I have taken deer and they sure put a good hole in a deer and sure seem to leave a heck of a hole in the hide. But once shoot they are a bear to keep sharp, you need a good file and hard stone to get a edge.

Actually, when ever you ask about broadheads, you will get a jillion different recommendations. And just about all of them are valid. I have read all kinds of articles on broadhead design over the years and the whole science is way more complex than any hunter really wants to deal with. But to make a long story short, broadhead efficiencies involve the angles formed by the length and width of the blade. After all broadheads are simply wedges that stretch, cut and part hide, meat and occasionally bone, The shallower the cutting angles the more efficient the cutting (wedging) action. Whenever a wedge is used, it is not efficient to have lumps and bumps (serrations) along the way. Does that mean that serrated blades will bounce off a deer? ...... hardly. Chances are that the actual difference between a straight edge and a serrated edge will not make the difference between making a kill or not. But the point is that there is no benefit to the serrations either. As wicked and nasty as they might look, there is no scientific principle that says that there is any advantage to penetration. And of course penetration is the name of the game.

Doc

Actually it looks like a pretty darn good head if they took those stupid serrations off. I am a big believer in a cut-on-contact head. I also like the idea of bleeder blades. It also looks pretty darn strong.

Doc

Actually it looks like a pretty darn good head if they took those stupid serrations off. I am a big believer in a cut-on-contact head. I also like the idea of bleeder blades. It also looks pretty darn strong.

Doc

They make a few different versions of that broadhead. Serrated and non serrated. Magnus makes good stuff.

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/

The serrations on the Magnus are different from those on knives.

They don't need the sawing effect to be effective like knife serrations.

As WNYB said, the stinger comes 2 blade only, 2 blade with bleeders - all serrated or non - blades and bleeders are replacable but resharpen easily.

Strong steel and about as sharp as anything out of the box. They hold their sharpness

exceedingly well going thru the animal - a quality even more important then initial sharpness.

Each is hand spun before shiping - I like them.

Their serrations are a square U shape - l_l.

My understanding is that the top leading edge of each U is a like a new point and is very effective at grabbing and slicing veins and arteries. I have heard far better explanations then mine :P , but can testify to the hole they leave and the blood on the ground. I do think the serrations help maintain a sharper edge while passing thru the animal - a huge plus.

More tissue damage, more bleeding.

Personally, I dont think Id use the Buzzcuts, but I have been eying the regular Stingers and may grab a pack to see how they shoot.

I would guess that that is debateable, but I guess I don't feel equipped to prove that one way or another.

The Stingers are what I am using right now, but I didn't get a chance to give them a real life test last season on hide, flesh and bone. However there is nothing about them that would suggest that there should be any problem there. They do seem to be pretty easy to tune. That a biggie with me.

Doc