How big is your float

moog5050

no idea i'd have to shoot and look at the target. i do know with most of me bowhunting setups i can still hold well within the 9 ring on a vegas face at 20 yards. however, as i execute the shot the float tightens up or gets smaller a second or less prior to release. that is definitely within the size of the 10 ring but not by much. also it might be weird but as the float tightens i shift focus to from the pin to the target and the pin becomes a blur.

outdoors it's hard to say because it'd depend on wind and other stuff you don't deal with indoors.

dimensions of a vegas face 9 ring is just over 3" and 10 ring is pretty much 1.5".

Edited by dbHunterNY

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

I certainly float the pin but never really payed attention to how far it travels. And I DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN TARGET PANIC THREADS so I will make my exit lol. I don’t even want to think about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

no need to panic just stop posting. lol

I use to have target panic and still do after to many arrows . But what helped me was #1 changing my release and my grip. I also stopped thinking about how I’m breathing. That use to mess with my head 

Try breathing through your eyelids...worked for Meat when he was trying to make the show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

also it might be weird but as the float tightens i shift focus to from the pin to the target and the pin becomes a blur.

You sure the float is tightening or perhaps you just don't see it as much. 

Edited by moog5050

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

You sure the float is tightening or perhaps you just don't see it as much. 

maybe both. i know it does tighten a little. i don't use back tension to execute the shot as much as i do to settle the pin.  this can easily be misunderstood, so i'll say you don't want too much back tension to cause fatigue, erratic release, and movement in your bow arm.

they say 5 seconds is all you've got for absolute focus when aiming. i'm saying 5 seconds of true focus where anything an inch or 2 outside your point of aim is non-existent is practically an eternity. too long for me. when my pin is floating and i'm committed 5 seconds is still long. anything close and i fatigue and pin float opens up a little too.

Edited by dbHunterNY

25 minutes ago, First-light said:

Not too big.....on a 6x9 trailer! Sophomore class float ready to be decorated tonight and Homecoming tomorrow! Game board theme this is Monopoly.

590693178.jpg

Good sized float, Burt, but nothing can beat Bubba's anti Safe-Act float he talked about a few years back.

Molon Labe

• Haha 1

This is all part of target panic.  I had it really bad this year at the Total Archery Challenge and still had it at the R100 but not as bad.  There are a bunch of videos about how to fix this issue.  I think we all get it to some degree and knowing what it is and how to beat the heck out of it is key!  

I also start aim below my target and have found doing this causes more issues so now I always try to draw directly on target or slightly above but only a couple of inches if possible.  I still draw below often but my fist part of my shot sequence is GET ON TARGET!  With my finger behind the trigger even if I panic or flinch I still can not release the arrow.  Now I do not even think about shooting until I am floating on the 10 spot regardless of yardage.  

If you get this, do some research on "How to fix target panic", many videos on how to beat it IF you want to.  Lucky for me I used aiming exercises to get past my issues and have been able to keep it controlled enough to get two of my best scores and 2nd place in 2 tournaments at our club.  

Another thing that helped was aiming with my hips (bending at the waist) to aim higher or lower keeping my upper body in alignment VS trying to aim with my arms to get onto target. 

This is fixed by blank bail shooting with proper form!  Form is everything!  You have to shoot proper form before trying to correct the panic issues.  Blank bail shooting is the best way to get your good form back.  After that aiming exercises without shooting is a huge help.  Just aim with your bow sight and get use to seeing the perfect sight picture of your pin directly on target.  Another great tip is putting a picture of a target with your pin dead center so no matter where you aim it looks like you are on target.  (Shoot close range blank bail.)  So many things to help find what works for you!  This is one video that helped me but it takes some time and dedication and NOT overshooting which brings bad things.