Goose in September

Five Seasons

14 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Haven't been lucky enough to get into snows . Dont have deeks for it and don't see many down here in the southern  fingerlakes.  Looks like fun .

I've been in on a few triple-digit snow goose days, and a lot of days where we just watched them fly overhead & never come in close. Watching an aerial vortex of hundreds of snow geese swarming is a memory I will never forget.

Having a good stiff wind is the key to decoying snow geese, an e-caller helps a lot also.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 1

My area is getting locked up in lease and pay to hunt as well. I wish I could find a lease. I knock on barn doors all the time and Im about 95% failure.  Really really sucks.  Im lucky to get a few good snow hunts a season. Been thinking about trying to hit them on the water, not the fields.  Toying with the idea a little.

Lucky for me I have a woman whos job it is to take care of wild things. She is pretty good at jerking. She jerks it real HOT though. 

Should I change my name to PYGMY? ????

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Been thinking about trying to hit them on the water, not the fields.  Toying with the idea a little.

Same here, I have some spots I know would be good on a river near me, I could walk there. The problem is it would be pass shooting over floating decoys, and I'd either need a dog or motorboat to go out after any I knock down...I just don't care that much to put out the effort. I DO hear guys shooting at them (and ducks) sometimes when I'm close by squirrel or deer hunting, but they are in camo-ed boats and I'm pretty sure they have dogs as well.

26 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Same here, I have some spots I know would be good on a river near me, I could walk there. The problem is it would be pass shooting over floating decoys, and I'd either need a dog or motorboat to go out after any I knock down...I just don't care that much to put out the effort. I DO hear guys shooting at them (and ducks) sometimes when I'm close by squirrel or deer hunting, but they are in camo-ed boats and I'm pretty sure they have dogs as well.

26 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I have a dog , he’s ok ... 

C104B2B4-65A5-4D62-8CC3-76B5C4533718.jpeg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Belo said:

that's great. I assume the dogs just make the retreival easier and aren't as necessary as hunting over water? I do have a golden who would have been a great bird dog, but he's untrained and now knocking on 15. Even so I bet as a younger dog he would have taken right too it.

Assuming a blind, some decoys and a call and you're basically good to go?

We use layout blinds and about  4-5 dozen decoys. As you can see we are in a cut hay field so for this farm we have to grass everything out ahead of time to blend in. It is amazing how these dumb birds will see an un-natural hump in their field and will circle but won't commit if they are not grassed in good.

The dogs are really nice on the cripples that run/fly 100 yds. or so away...too far for me to chase them down!

And yes...scouting matters!!! My group has permission on 3-4 different farms in the area, but we have to scout the day or two ahead of the hunt to see if they are there in the morning or the afternoon. It can change a lot over a few days. It sucks to get up at 3AM to drive 1.5 hrs and then set everything up to realize the birds are going to another field or pond that morning. 

• Thanks 1