Tree saddles, lighted nocks and Blackhorn 209

stubborn1VT

1 minute ago, Hunter007 said:

straps cushions and ropes    only  difference maybe got stronger same concept  have to.find it but before the tree saddle, was another company that made those it went  bankrupt I think . 

seems like you could fall out of what you posted. modern tree saddles really you can't. what you posted looks like an old window washing hoist. not trying to detract from the ingenuity. just seems safer and developed more now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

seems like you could fall out of what you posted. modern tree saddles really you can't. what you posted looks like an old window washing hoist. not trying to detract from the ingenuity. just seems safer and developed more now.

That's just one design not exactly what I made 20 years ago here is another. 

There have been at least 4 companies that made versions of those over the years  and  countless DIY  versions hunters made as well ,  not a new idea .

Edited by Hunter007

4 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

That's just one design not exactly what I made 20 years ago here is another. 

There have been at least 4 companies that made versions of those over the years  and  countless DIY  versions hunters made over the years not a new idea .

(insert my previous post here)

It just comes down to personal preference. I know i wany something lighter than my 50# summit climber. Ok,maybe only 40#. 

As far as things catching on,seat belts weren't even offered in the old days,and if you go further back cars didn't have windshield wipers either.

Some things just take a while...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

It just comes down to personal preference. I know i wany something lighter than my 50# summit climber. Ok,maybe only 40#. 

As far as things catching on,seat belts weren't even offered in the old days,and if you go further back cars didn't have windshield wipers either.

Some things just take a while...

my open shot climber is listed at 14 lbs. yours must be steel not aluminum and have saddle bags! lol i don't blame you for not wanting to lug that thing around.

7 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I'd be curious to know for the people who hunt from saddles also practice shooting from saddles.

Yes.  In my opinion, it would be irresponsible to do otherwise.

In addition, I felt the most comfortable I have ever felt (after three years of the LWF hand climber) prepping for my shot on the doe I harvested this year from the saddle.  Fluid motion, tied tight to the tree, and I never had to worry about my "foot shuffle" to be careful not to overstep my climber platform.

Having hunted from both a saddle and a climbing stand, my preference, for many reasons already enumerated, is the saddle.  Hands-down.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

my open shot climber is listed at 14 lbs. yours must be steel not aluminum and have saddle bags! lol i don't blame you for not wanting to lug that thing around.

it isn't really 40# either,but it is friggin heavy. I even put a nice backpack frame on it to replace the original straps,and it still gets very uncomfortable after 1/2 mile. I am in pretty decent shape too,dragging my doe 3/4 of a mile on Saturday didnt kill me. Not saying i didnt feel it a little the next day.

I'd be curious to know for the people who hunt from saddles also practice shooting from saddles.

I don’t remember the last time I shot my bow not in amy saddle. Every time I bow hunt I walk out back door with saddle on tie off in tree 25 or 35yds from my 3D targets and shoot a shot or 2 or if I’m hunting in the morning before I go inside. Sometimes I’ll climb up to the platform but most of the time just snap in sit down and shoot from any angle.

There is absolutely some getting used to when you’re so used to having your back to a tree to having the tree in front of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made one of those things about 20 years  ago didn't like it then and now that I'm older wouldn't  like it now . 
If it was so great,  40 years ago when hunting was more popular then it is now,  more people would have used them .
That being said   if you  absolutely need the lightest way to hunt from a tree for what ever reason and don't  mind  having obstructions in front of you such as a  tree and ropes .
Then have at it . 
Everyone is different what you like is not necessary what someone else likes .

images.jpeg-12.jpg.3fcba606300136f61c8a65a0d52f8d7b.jpg

And I thought your scope mount was bad!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

it isn't really 40# either,but it is friggin heavy. I even put a nice backpack frame on it to replace the original straps,and it still gets very uncomfortable after 1/2 mile. I am in pretty decent shape too,dragging my doe 3/4 of a mile on Saturday didnt kill me. Not saying i didnt feel it a little the next day.

much of where i go i can't or won't use screw in steps. if i had a saddle system i'd be using Wild Edge Steppladder steps. you're still pretty heavy with even the lightest stick/step system and platform though. i still don't have upgraded straps on my climber but i should.

I will say that a lighted nock can cause the vanes to do more work, no question about it . The added weight on the back of an arrow can not be overlooked ,even for how little it is.

I agree with this 100% but other than in high winds what affect does this have on a properly tuned bow?

• 2 weeks later...