Frustration with a new Henry single shot...

I had long wanted a compact quality single shot in .308, and was delighted when Henry came out with theirs. After checking them out, I bought one with absolutely the prettiest walnut stocks I had ever seen on an off the shelf rifle. I scoped it with a 2 x 7 Leupold VX 1which I formerly had on another .308. Only after I got it did I start reading about the very gimmicky trigger it has (very heavy pull, with an odd "step" just before the trigger release). I had pretty much gotten used to that, and thought I had it well sighted in earlier in the season. Last week I took it out just for a last few shots, and now cant get the dang thing to hold a zero. I am using quality ammo which initially grouped great, but now the damn shots are wandering all over. I was looking forward to using it this season, but my best guess is that the scope isn't holding zero. I have never had to send  a Leopold back for any reason, but first time for everything. Luckily I have my tried and true 8x57 Mauser in the wings. For me, too late in the season to worry about getting the Henry straitened out. 

Scope mounts / screws all checked out...it will hold a group for about three shots, then wander all over. I am sure it is the scope. I have already talked with Leupold...their turn around is less than a week, but I likely wont have a chance for range time after this for weeks. I will be using my old standby.

On 10/24/2019 at 9:44 PM, Daveboone said:

Scope mounts / screws all checked out...it will hold a group for about three shots, then wander all over. I am sure it is the scope. I have already talked with Leupold...their turn around is less than a week, but I likely wont have a chance for range time after this for weeks. I will be using my old standby.

Old Paul Mauser would be proud of you, Dave...<<grin>>…..

If you are not shooting off of a good solid bench with a quality front support under the front of the stock ( not the barrel) and a good support under the rear of the stock and squesing the trigger not jerking it . It could be you not the firearm.

Take one or two shots and let the firearm  cool off for an 1/2 an hour or more, come backand take 2 more shots and see if it hits near the first 2 shots , if it is , then you have a problem with the barrel moving as it heats up , when taking a number of shots all at once. That is why well known benchrest shooters only take 5 shots at a time . And I am willing to bet your barrel is not 1" diameter or more as on there rifles .

Hope you find out what the problem is .  

Well, got it straitened around. I found a new but never used inexpensive 4x shotgun scope, (Field and Stream...but the "B" label inside the adjustment cover makes me think Bushnell?)  which I decided to give a try. It certainly wasn't Leupold optics, but it held a zero like a rock, and in 1/2 dozen shots I had an inch group established at 75 yards, which is what my .308s are usually sighted for due to the woods hunting I do. Another quick shot at both 100 and 50 yards to be sure where everything was going, and I am happy for the season.

• Like 4