Marlin 444, 450

Anyone on here own or ever shoot a marlin 444 or 450? Thinking about getting one to use for deer, bear, etc. My main gun now is a 30-06. Just wondering how they compare as far as recoil to the 30-06 and any experiences you have with them, Im looking at the model with the 18.5 inch barrel that is ported for the 444

I had a Marlin in .450M. The recoil is much stouter than a .30-06. Even a .300 Win. mag doesn't kick as bad. Still I found the gun to be a lot of fun even if my shoulder didn't agree the day after shooting.

I killed a large Bull Moose with the .450M in '04 and it was definitely my quickest kill I've had on a Moose.

I use a 444 the recoil is stout but if you can handle a 06 it should be no problem for you. if you do buy one go with the 24inch barrel. I shot a 10pt with 225 barnes hp blew out both shoulders.and with the new flex tip ammo you will get a increase in range.

I've fired Marlins in .444 as well as .45-70 and find them to be quite unpleasant to shoot.  I think a Marlin in .35 Remington will suit your needs better.  Range and trajectory are about the same as a .45-70, and the knock down power is surprising.  Ammo is cheaper too, unless you want to use the Buffalo Bore stuff, or the new Leverevolution ammo, which I believe is not needed for deer and bear hunting.  I love my Marlin 336 in .35 Rem.

Thanks for all the input guys and Rob no offense but would u trust your bolt action 243 against a black bear who thinks you are on his bait site. I am looking at guiding black bear hunts in Quebec next year and want something that hits hard close and that i can get a couple bullets on target fast. Would also be tracking wounded/shot bears so i will be going with something a little bigger than a 243. I love my 06 but its not set up for close range like these guns would be.

Larry thanks for the advice the gun i am looking at has the 18.5 inch barrel just for the added maneuverability and ease to carry. I plan on keeping all my shots under 100 yards so shouldn't really be a factor. I am also keeping my eye on the 308 marlin expresses but i am still not convinced that they give enough Ftlbs but it has 400 ftlbs on the 35 rem and 500 on the 30-30  which have killed alot of bear over the years much easier on the shoulder so it should be enough.

My bad I should of read a little careful I saw deer but skipped over bear etc. I found this article and although it doesn't really answer your question about the marlin 444, or 450 it might give you some ideas on other options.

To quote straight from Chuck Hawks article on cartridges for Black Bear hunting...

"Black bear have strong bones and heavy muscles, as befits a large predator. They require expanding bullets that will not come apart against substantial resistance..."

"It is would be hard to find more useful black bear cartridges than the .308 Win. or .30-06 loaded with 180 grain bullets, even for trophy size bears." And finally, in the section regarding guns for use specifically on trophy bear hunts... "Good calibers for large black bear in the 350-600 pound class, in addition to the previously mentioned .308 and .30-06, include the .338 Marlin Express, .338 Federal, .338-06, .348 Winchester, .356 Winchester, .358 Winchester, .35 Whelen, .350 Rem. Mag., 9.3x62, .444 Marlin and .45-70. These cartridges, used within their individual range limitations and with proper loads, are excellent calibers to consider when planning a trophy black bear hunt. Cartridges more powerful than these are unnecessary for even the largest black bears."

Notice that he omits the magnum calibers (mostly because he does not believe in high recoiling rifles, where you are used to hunting with a slug gun a high recoil rifle may not bother you as much as it does him).

Personally, I believe that the 308 or 30-06 should be just fine for black bear. Good luck.  Source(s):  http://www.chuckhawks.com/black_bear_car…

Remington 870 pump 12 gu. bird barrel, foster slugs.

"The catalog energy figures for the common high-brass ("maximum") 12 gauge slug load are an impressive 2361 ft. lbs. at the muzzle". from Chuck Hawks

Pointing would be more useful than aiming for close in dealings with moving temperamental bears. Also, I remember reading in an article years ago that some Alaskan guides would get their rifle custom stocked similar to their shotgun. Same concept but black bears aren't as tough as grizzlies. (I heroically type this advice from the safety of my urban home.)

I love my marlin in 45-70 i dont think it kicks to bad, but it puts a wollop on bear(in new brunswick) and deer ..great under 200 yard gun!! My 12 gauge 3 1/3 turkey gun kicks harder. For the ranges i like to shoot i cant think of a better cartriage!!

• 6 months later...

I know I'm late to this party and not sure a reply even matters anymore. The 444's will be hard to come by and draw big money with Marlin canceling the loading last year. That said I'm sorry I never bought when when I caould have. The recoil is not any worse on a 222 than a 180 gr out of your 30-06 bolt action. Having shot both of them, the straight wall cartridge even pushing a big 240 grain brush bullet is okay to shoulder. Accuracy to 100 yds is pretty good too. When I had the chance to buy one, I opted for the 35 Remington in the lever gun. I would only use it for deer, black bear and pigs and honestly for all of those, the 35 has done just fine. Great in the brush or even 100 yds across a field (mine is about an 1" to 1.25" out to 100 yds). Recoil is less than your 30-06. Meat damage in minimal and it knocks them off their feet especially with the newer Hornady ammo. I hit an older meat spike in the neck (by accident) two years ago with it using the Leverevolution ammo. In a word it was devastating. He went no where but down.Anyways, if you are looking for a bursh gun in a lever action, my search would start and end there.

Anyone on here own or ever shoot a marlin 444 or 450? Thinking about getting one to use for deer, bear, etc. My main gun now is a 30-06. Just wondering how they compare as far as recoil to the 30-06 and any experiences you have with them, Im looking at the model with the 18.5 inch barrel that is ported for the 444

That short, ported barrel will make you deaf for a few minutes when you touch one off in the deer woods. I'm happy with the standard 22" bbl. on my 444S. It likes handloads with the Hornady 265 gr. JSP bullet and IMR 4198 powder in the old MicroGroove barrel.

Good thread on Marlinowners.com about penetration tests with various 240 gr. jacketed bullets in the .444 at this link. They are not as flimsy as some think:

http://www.marlinown...topicseen.html.

I have an 1895M .450 Marlin and I don't find the recoil that unpleasant and from field positions, I would rather shoot it than a 12ga. In fact I think it kicks less than my 20ga Ithaca featherlight with slugs. Off the bench is another story altogether! Punishing comes to mind. I loaded some Barnes 250gr X-bullets with a max load and after three of them I picked my fillings up off the ground and quit for the day. Mine is not ported.

Performance on deer was strange. I've shot two bucks with it, one with the 350gr FP Hornady and one with the 325gr Hornady Nerf bullets and both of them just kept walking and didn't miss a step. I kept shooting because I thought I was missing but I hit each one three times before they finally dropped. They were dead on their feet after the first shot but never reacted at all. Never bucked, jumped, ran, stumbled, blatted or gave any other indication that they had been hit, but they both had nice clean .458 caliber holes straight through them. It was disconcerting to say the least.

Edited by covert

I had a Marlin 450, called it "Sidewalk Chalk" do to the shell's looks... Recoil is stout for sure... I had a red dot on it... You could pick up a moving target so fast with that... Got in a mood one day and sold it though... no particular reason.. just wanted something different...

heavy gun due to the barrel, Kicks pretty good, great bear gun but overkill deer gun

shoots 240 grains so the bullet drop is significant at longer ranges, pretty sure it has a ported/muzzle break on the barrel

for deer i cant see any advantage over a 35rem probably more of a disadvantage

for bear its great though

Stick with the 06. Recoil is not that bad at all. I have taken a bunch of deer with it and, with good shots, they will go nowhere....nowhere. I can assume that a black bear wont either....Old school always works....

Edited by ants