Has hunting negatively affected your life at all?

Caveman

Am I going to take a big buck, or is a big buck taking me?

It would be silly if it wasn't true at times. And that kinda puts it in perspective. Hunting is great fun and I have great admiration for big bucks, but in the end of things when I'm dead and gone, I don't want my kids to remember that I loved to chase deer in the woods and that was all I thought about. Kind of meaningless. Hunting can bring on that addiction for me, but like any fix it's not real LIFE.

i'm thankful for the opportunities and experiences the Lord has given me, but have seen that its wrong for me to love ANYTHING more than the LORD, and fun times and experiences can never replace true LIFE, and that only comes from HIM.

So my goal this season is to enjoy every minute I'm given and be thankful for everything. Meat is kinda important, relationships very important, and a big buck is a blessing, not a god.

I cant think of any. She who must be obeyed is a great lady and has never ever questioned or asked me not to go hunting. I dont tell her what to do and she doesnt tell me what to do. We have alot of respect for each other. I bust ass all year long for work and home improvements and all the wood cutting and the maple farm in the spring. My life is jammed pack until fall and then its my time in the woods either by myself or with one of the kids tagging along. The only negative thing I can thing of is my attitude when I blow a shot lol.

man some answers are funny.. i mean in reality there has to be some kind of compromise! you cant just pick up and leave for an entire hunting season and expect your wife to be cool with that, seriously... i logged over 150 hours last year in my stands and still dedicated time to my fiance and my house. happy wife happy life... dont get me wrong there were times when i put my foot down and still went into the woods when she may have wanted the opposite but i hunted within reason. i was in my stands all season long. Keep things good on the home front and you can enjoy your passions relatively fine. but if i pulled half the things some have in here i might not have a fiance any more lol

I've been married to a woman who's father, brother and brother-in-law have tried to get me into hunting for nearly 20 years and I finally got hooked 6 years ago. My wife grew up in a hunting family and she is used to it. She has even suggested that I take my father in law and my 10 y.o. son pre-season to check on the stands and blinds. Do I go hunting every weekend during the season? Of course not! Do I wish I can do that? Of Course I do!!!

As far as in-laws are concerned, my mother in law taught me how to cook venison and wild turkey. Better still, when we all go hunting she comes along and cooks for us. It doesn't get better than that.

I guess hunting has not negatively affected my life. In fact it has allowed me and my son to bond.

My son loves it as you can see in the pictures.

post-1257-0-12998700-1314808666_thumb.pn

post-1257-0-42296600-1314808898_thumb.jp

post-1257-0-48199500-1314809110_thumb.jp

I am fairly recently divorced after 35 years of marriage.

I would be lying if I said that my passion for hunting , plus the time and money I spent doing it were not a factor in my separation from my wife.

However, when I consider the places I have been, and the things I have done, and the wonderful experiences I have had pursuing game animals in some of the most wild and beautiful places on this continent, I am not sorry.. If I had it to do over again, I'd do it the same.

We only get one to go around this old world one time.

• 2 weeks later...

40 years ago we planned our wedding around my deer season. We went on a honey moon to Wash. D.C. came home after a week & I Ieft for deer camp for the next week. She claims I go from spring turkey hunting to fishing all summer, into archery deer ,fall turkey, reg. deer,then muzzleloader deer. I don't know where she comes up with this idea, but it does seem to work out that way!! Anyway it will be 41 years this Nov.7 th. & she is still here, lucky I guess. I got a good boat/ fishing story too.