Sad but last night was the first time shooting the bow since last season

burmjohn

I feel your frustration. Had the same type of thing going on for me as well. Ive been out shooting a bit, but then the other night I was shooting my 3D target at the house and the back side of it just started coming completely apart and its not stopping arrows any more. Im going to be forced to go buy a new target, which I wasnt planning on. Either that or drive 10 minutes to the range every night, which isnt really feasible.

I feel your frustration. Had the same type of thing going on for me as well. Ive been out shooting a bit, but then the other night I was shooting my 3D target at the house and the back side of it just started coming completely apart and its not stopping arrows any more. Im going to be forced to go buy a new target, which I wasnt planning on. Either that or drive 10 minutes to the range every night, which isnt really feasible.

Dicks still has the sale on the swamp buck. $99 with a $20 mail in rebate. I got one couple of weeks ago and had another $20 coupon I used. So I got it for about $59.

Edited by jmasiakos

when I had the bow shop the biggest problem was finding time to shoot and or scout for deer. Now retired I try to shoot a few arrows each day. I think we owe it to the deer to be in good shape and be able to hit a deer target in the kill zone.

I wish I had the space to shoot at home, I just don't, and even if I did I'd prob have the cops at my door. When I was younger and lived with my father it was great being able to shoot right in your own backyard, I miss that.

I'm heading up to the property this weekend, so I'll get some longer distance shooting in. Thats another thing that sucks about the ranges near me, they are 20 or 30 yards max.

There you go, and honestly a few really good shoots at 20 and 30 are more valuable then a few so so ones from 50 any day of the week IMO. It builds confidence and helps strenghten form.

Same here Doe. I can go out in my side or back yard and shoot my bow, guns, whatever I want. We almost bought a house over the summer in the burbs, I was kicking and screaming about it. I just love being out in the boonies.

We are looking to sell our current house at some point in the future and one of the things we both agree on is finding a house with a little land and few neighbors. We found one that was perfect but it was to close to some of her relatives..lol Which is why we want to move now.

Went to the Queens Archery Range today. Was shooting under 2 inch groups out to 20 yards. Then all of a sudden I started shooting everything to the left and that's when I realized my sight wasn't screwed on tight enough and it moved when I set my bow down on the bench. Re-adjusted but by then I was getting tired and my groupings were like 6 inches.

Return trip to the archery range. After some test shots to fix my sight, I think I'm good enough to hit the vitals on a broadside shot from 20 to 25 yards out. Can't seem to hit the bullseye but I'm consistently around. 1 out of 10 arrows I'll pull to the side or drop the bow too early or something but the other 9 are at least in the red. I want to eventually get some tighter groups and shoot out to 30-40 yards but being that this is only my 3rd time shooting a bow, ever, I'm pretty happy with my results.

post-789-0-40362000-1316321268_thumb.jpg

One tip. Groups are fun to shoot, and good for sighting in, but dont mean squat for hunting, the first arrow you shoot at the target is the one that really counts. I like to shoot at different spots. On my 3D target, I take a stick of my daughter's sidewalk chalk and draw a bunch of small, half dollar sized spots on it. With each arrow, I shoot at a different spot. I also shoot at the vital areas on 3D targets, but the spot shooting really helps to keep things tight. Give it a try.

Shoot small, miss small.

I am lucky that I have the 32 3D target so I shoot them several times a week and also have the ability to shoot out to 65 yards. I like if I am not going to shoot the 3D to just take one shoot starting at 20 yards and then keep walking back and shooting arrows till I have shot a total of 6 arrows that takes me out to 45 yards and I have a 3 pin sight on the hoyt bows. I have the pin setup for 25 , 35 and 45 yards and anything in between I just gap shoot. My bigggest issue is not with being high or low but for some reson as I go back I drift to the left. I have to make sure I take the time to just lock in and squeeze off the release.

My bigggest issue is not with being high or low but for some reason as I go back I drift to the left.

S.O.B.-

You might want to stick a bow level on your sight for a while and check out if you have developed a natural cant to the bow. I have to watch that myself. My archery range is chopped into the side of the hill behind the house so I have a rather step slope that I tend to mentally try to square myself up with. That's all well and good until I find myself shooting somewhere else that has the reverse slope or no slope at all ..... lol. So periodically, I have a pin with a bubble level on it that I stick into my sight just to make sure that nothing is going wacky. Another clue that bow cant is a problem is when the pins all have a taper relative to the rest of the bow.

Just something you might want to check if you haven't already.