finnaly a buck rub

silent death

the weather sucks this year. i cant even get to 3 of my other spots because they are under a foot or more of water because they are next to a crick . this rub is in a pine grove . i shot a nice buck in the same area 2 years ago. maybe this buck is his son who knows . ive talked to alot of guys who havent looked yet at all for rubs. i guess iam ahead of the game which is good how big you think the buck was that made this rub . the tree is about 6 inches around .

Edited by hung4wheeler

Doc,

Everything ive read says the big boys will rub a tree before the little one's will and for being this early that is a nice size tree for them to be rubbing on. I would say it was a mature deer starting to get his neck in shape. :hunter:

Unfortunately, that rub is in the middle of a very big hill and he is pretty darn good about not leaving a track or anything. For me, rubs are exciting, but seldom have I ever had them lead me to any close encounters. It always seems that by the time hunting season rolls around, they have re-located to somewhere else. But it is always better to at least know there is a buck somewhere in the area. It makes the wait on stand a little more interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a little sneak and peak around my stand I placed in a funnel between a swamp and Oaks the other day in the rain. And there are a ton of rub's. I don't think I will sit this stand till 1st week of November. Will wait till my does pull the bigger bucks off the neighbors property then sit it. The 1st day stand will be in the apple trees, they are so loaded that the branches are almost touching the ground,

we never see rubs until late...yet I have one stand I hit way before light and usually 4days into bow season I can sit and listen to tremendous fights going on just yards away in the dark good sized buck cruise that area all the time...scrapes are another thing though...always see a few heavy hit ones in that general area...this year should be really good....the beech are and have been dropping like crazy...temps are suppose to take a nose dive at the end of this week...sightings should pic up

random rubs don't get me too excited other than knowing that there is a buck around that made it ..rub lines or clusters are the rubs that interest me.... a rub line is usually set where a buck frequents often.. could be a path to and from a food and bedding area... or some other commonly used trail... amost always tracking a buck you will see all of the rubs from years and years of travel by other bucks that have used that same trail... most of the time whitetail bucks don't walk willy nilly through the woods... they keep to a trail that they know to be safe...

• 2 weeks later...

I zip-tie overhanging branches from other scrapes... on old scrapes that I am either hunting over or have cameras set up on. Right now fresh scrapes are few and far between, but they can be found on the edges of fields now. Soon they will be all over...I collect the branches and store them in plastic bags in my freezer. But when you find an unhuntable scrape, snip off the branch over the scrape. Drop it in a plastic bag and take it to your scrape. Zip-tie it to the overhanging branch over your scrape. That's all there is to it.

The cotton swabs are swabbed from the mouth of a doe I shot last season at one of the major rutting peaks (last weekend in Oct.) I have a bag of them and take one out and zip-tie it to the overhanging branch where I have the zip-tied overhanging branch.

BTW, my experiments with the ground scrape, i.e augmenting it with pee, doe estrus, soil from other active scrapes...never seems to do much. To me, it is all about the overhanging branch.

I detail it all in my 2011 Rut Prediction DVD.