Texas Heart Shot

fasteddie

Ah the poopchute shot, always a controversal shot. If I was close with a high power rifle I was confident with, and was shooting a bonded bullet that won't explode on impact, I would take the shot if it was all I was presented with. Have not done this yet though, I find it better to wait and see if they turn and they have 98% of the time. A bow shot would be out of the question for me. If you missed the vitals or arteries you will have a bloodless tracking job to do because of such a high hit which is always unpleasent. And it could take some time for the deer to expire where it could wonder into someones back yard and die with an arrow sticking out of its arse giving hunters a bad name. It can be an effective shot with a rifle and I have seen it done a few times with a shotgun also. The key is a round that is sturdy and powerful enough to reach the vitals. I have however done a few reverse texas heart shots and 2 out of the 3 dropped in there tracks. Still a messy cleaning job though.

I'll tell you what ..... you guys are talking about some pretty darn small targets. How big are the femoral arteries? ........ maybe 1 or 2 times the size of an arrow shaft? Perhaps the exact size of a shotgun slug? How about the size of the opening in the rump which is surrounded by massive bones. Softball size .... maybe? And then some are talking about this as a kill zone on a running deer? Now there is a real challenge. Not just a small area, but one that is bouncing up and down and sideways as well. To me that simply boils down to a "spray and pray" style of hunting. Does it ever work? ...... Sure it does. Is it a high percentage shot? ...... not in my estimation. But maybe with a gun, if you let all 5 shots go as fast as you can, you might get lucky ..... :D

My brothers 10 pt he got a couple of years ago was shot in the morning around 9am. It was shot on a drive the guy who shot it took a Texas heart shot and hit the right ham. Bullet passed through the muscle and exited

out the rib cage. Did a number on the muscle. That deer survived until 2pm when my brother shot it. The guys tracked the deer and jumped it a number of times and pushed it on to my property. I think he would of survived unless infection got to him. I also believe the deer was running at the time of the shot, not good odds.

Are you guys really arguing this ? Femoral artery ? Thats your target the femoral artery? What if you are off? Then you have a gut shot wounded animal running around. Or what if you hit the rump? All I have to say is WOW ! Ethics has everything to do with this don't kid yourselves.

All I am saying is that its a deadly shot if you get it right. You can pull the "ethics" card all you want, but if a shot is capable of dropping a deer almost in its tracks, I would say it is 100% ethical. I would not personally take that shot on a deer, but I also do not see it as unethical.

BTW, when did anyone say the femoral artery was their target?

All I am saying is that its a deadly shot if you get it right. You can pull the "ethics" card all you want, but if a shot is capable of dropping a deer almost in its tracks, I would say it is 100% ethical. I would not personally take that shot on a deer, but I also do not see it as unethical.

BTW, when did anyone say the femoral artery was their target?

Actually, you could bank a shot off a boulder and drill that sucker right in the jugular, and that would also be a deadly shot. So what? Would that be an ethical shot? You can shoot a deer in the brain and kill it (dropping it right in its tracks) ...... if you are lucky and you don't just blow its jaws off. Is that an ethical shot. There are a lot of people who think it might be. We've all seen the pictures. I'm one that's not afraid to say that I don't think any of those kinds of risky shots are ethical. And, I will say the same thing about the so-called Texas heart shot.

A bowhunter could aim and shoot for the heart or lungs and miss the vital area . Would that be an unethical shot .

For the record , I would NOT take the Texas Heart Shot .

Look at the size of your target when shooting at the heart/lung area. If you miss you have a very good chance of still hitting something vital. Now look at the rear end of a deer. What is your target? Small, very small. If you are offf even a little bit you will wound that animal. That is an un ethical shot. I really didn't think I would have to explain that.

100% correct. I accidentally shot a doe in the rear section last year, and hit the femoral artery. She bled out and died on the spot in a matter of seconds. If you hit a major artery like that, its the same has a direct heart shot.

So by your reasoning I am to assume that a femoral artery shot is just as effective as a heart shot and when aiming at a deer's ass I am trying to hit the femoral artery. I'm sorry I just don't understand the logic I'm reading here.

Actually, you could bank a shot off a boulder and drill that sucker right in the jugular, and that would also be a deadly shot. So what? Would that be an ethical shot? You can shoot a deer in the brain and kill it (dropping it right in its tracks) ...... if you are lucky and you don't just blow its jaws off. Is that an ethical shot. There are a lot of people who think it might be. We've all seen the pictures. I'm one that's not afraid to say that I don't think any of those kinds of risky shots are ethical. And, I will say the same thing about the so-called Texas heart shot.

I'm with you on this Doc. That's just the way I was taught to hunt.

My dad had a lucky shot once-- unintentional-- a buck was trotting broadside in an open stand of woods and turned suddenly. The slug traveled up his spine and broke his back in three places, and he piled up right then and there. We were amazed it didn't even wreck his backstraps except a nick out of one. Dad was thankful that things happened as they did; he'd never take that shot on purpose and he was so relieved.

My dad had a lucky shot once-- unintentional-- a buck was trotting broadside in an open stand of woods and turned suddenly. The slug traveled up his spine and broke his back in three places, and he piled up right then and there. We were amazed it didn't even wreck his backstraps except a nick out of one. Dad was thankful that things happened as they did; he'd never take that shot on purpose and he was so relieved.

Accidents will happen and occasionally they do turn out with a happy ending. And thankfully, most of us never turn those freak accidents that end well into justifications for trying to do those shots on purpose.

So by your reasoning I am to assume that a femoral artery shot is just as effective as a heart shot and when aiming at a deer's ass I am trying to hit the femoral artery. I'm sorry I just don't understand the logic I'm reading here.

So I see you dont know a deer's anatomy past the heart, lungs and liver. And yes, a shot that ruptures the femoral, or any other major artery will cause a deer to have massive, instant blood loss and kill it just as fast as a shot to the heart.

• Like 1

Many people take neck and head shots regularly. Head shots are pretty iffy and not my cup of tea, but whats wrong with the neck shot?

Nice way to distort the conversation by throwing in trick shots, etc. Back to your usual spin DOCtor self I see. :bye:

I've taken a few head shots. I use a rifle and scope and were about 50 and 75 yards away. I wouldn't think twice about taken a head shot. The Texas shot" I'd think a dozen or more times as its walking away because I wouldn't feel comfortable taken the shot but if the next guy does go for it.

Many people take neck and head shots regularly. Head shots are pretty iffy and not my cup of tea, but whats wrong with the neck shot?

Nice way to distort the conversation by throwing in trick shots, etc. Back to your usual spin DOCtor self I see. :bye:

Actually my illustration of ridiculousness using absurdity was spot on. If you didn't catch it, that's not my problem. Just because a shot involving extraordinary luck can occasionally cause a quick death does not make it a recommended and responsible shot to be taking. And don't get me started on head and neck shots. But also, don't try to put them in the same category of sloppy and irresponsible shooting with the butt shot.

Actually like someone else who replied to this thread, I also find it amazing that we are still even discussing a butt-shot. That really is hard to believe. I would have thought that a half a page at most would have put that ridiculous notion to bed.

It may not be everyones cup of tea for whatever reason...but I'm still taking the going away butt shot anytime I get the opportunity... I've yet to have a buck escape after being shot up the a$$ with a slug or rifle bullet... one good well placed shot in the texas bull is as ethical as rattling off five shots broadside one after another... like I have witnessed numerous times from self proclaimed ethical hunters... now when I'm meat hunting for doe with the muzzleloader.. thats different...But I do practice enough with my muzzleloader that a head shot on a doe is never out of the question.

Actually my illustration of ridiculousness using absurdity was spot on. If you didn't catch it, that's not my problem. Just because a shot involving extraordinary luck can occasionally cause a quick death does not make it a recommended and responsible shot to be taking. And don't get me started on head and neck shots. But also, don't try to put them in the same category of sloppy and irresponsible shooting with the butt shot.

Actually like someone else who replied to this thread, I also find it amazing that we are still even discussing a butt-shot. That really is hard to believe. I would have thought that a half a page at most would have put that ridiculous notion to bed.

No I caught it, and still say its a ridiculous comparison. I dont know about you, but i tend to try and keep my shots well within the size of a dinner plate. Actually I find that within the size of a tennis ball of the spot Im aiming at is acceptable to me. A Texas heart shot can be accomplished within that size of an area.

So I see you dont know a deer's anatomy past the heart, lungs and liver. And yes, a shot that ruptures the femoral, or any other major artery will cause a deer to have massive, instant blood loss and kill it just as fast as a shot to the heart.

Yep, you got me. I know nothing about a deer's anatomy outside the heart,lungs, and liver. Again your logic is laughable

Im trying to figure out why we have 41 replys about shooting a deer in the ass. This thread is in the top 10 of the dumbest post I think I have ever read. Im just saying.

Billy -----There are replys because people will take the shot !

Bow season is 4 weeks away and there isn't a lot of action . Is there a topic you would like to discuss ? Start one ..........