Broadheads

RobC

Sure this topic has been hit on once or twice but every year there are new ones out or you guys have tried something new. Not sure if some kind of poll could be started but I'm wondering what are you guys using and what have you tried that you didn't like. Are you using fixed or mechanical and why. The last few seasons I've been wanting to switch to fixed because the last deer I shot one blade broke off and one never opened. So what are your guys thoughts and opinions?

The spitfires are what I had a problem with opening and breaking off. I really want to try the rage 2 blades but for some reason common sense tells me that 3 blades is better then 2. I like the idea of mechanical because they fly like a field tip but I like the idea that nothing can go wrong with a fixed. Broadheads have been my biggest dilema. It's driving me nuts.

The spitfires are what I had a problem with opening and breaking off. I really want to try the rage 2 blades but for some reason common sense tells me that 3 blades is better then 2. I like the idea of mechanical because they fly like a field tip but I like the idea that nothing can go wrong with a fixed. Broadheads have been my biggest dilema. It's driving me nuts.

3 blades are illegal in NY.

As for 2 blades i bought a set and the damn things kept opening on me if i so much as looked at them wrong. Never even loosed an arrow just sold them on AT.

As for the flight i used to think that until i tried doing some serious fixed blade shooting - i don't have issues so i figure why use mechanicals.

Ive tried a bunch of different ones, and have had decent luck with all of them. I never got to put the Rage 2 to the test on a deer, as I didnt get one with the bow last year. I am making an effort to try and keep things more simple with my bow hunting, and switched back to my old reliables, Crimson Talon XTs. No mechanical stuff to fail, they fly right with my field points and punch a heck of a nasty hole through deer.

Tryed a few different heads in the last 10 yrs. Mechanicals (spitfires) and replacables (Wasp sst and Rocket Arrowheads) but fell in love with the G-5 Montecs a few years back. Super strong head that can easily be sharpened and used over and over. They fly exactly like my field points. In my opinion you should be able to find a fixed blade or replacable that flies' like your field points if your bow is set up properly. I would like to try the Rage 2 someday and i probably would love it like most people who shoot them, but for now i'll stick to what works for me. Cummins mentioned the slick tricks and i've shot them and been very impressed. They are ultra sharp and well designed for a replacable. My buddy has put some serious damage on some deer using those heads and they also fly true to field points.

Just got back from dicks and got the rage 2 blades. hopefully i'll have a review on them by the end of the season. What makes the 3 blades illegal and the 2 blades legal?

Failure to retract. But people have asked a few different eco's some say they are legal some say they are not. The DEC has no official stance.

Failure to retract. But people have asked a few different eco's some say they are legal some say they are not. The DEC has no official stance.

The 3 blade are 'supposed' to retract I believe but do not. Making them 'Not legal'. I use 2 blade but can't offer any field reviews just yet. But they are pictured in the DEC manual as legal

2 years ago I had an awful time with the Rage 2 blades and I dumped them. I went back to my faithful 100 gr, Slick Trick mags and I'm staying there for good.

You did ask about trying something new. This year I tried the NAP Gobbler Getters for turkey. These things are awesome!! Drilled a hen yesterday and she dropped on the spot.

I think the statement is that "rage" 3 blades are illegal not all 3 blades. which is what I don't get because they're suppose to retract. They are built on the same platform as the 2 blade i thought. I saw some broadheads for turkey hunting and they look pretty menacing. I think they're the brand you were talking about. I'd love to take a turkey with a bow but I still have to figure out the gun way of shooting a turkey before I move on up lol. Can't believe how many different heads there are out there. I was told to stay way away from the carbon express heads if anyone was looking at them.

I think the statement is that "rage" 3 blades are illegal not all 3 blades. which is what I don't get because they're suppose to retract. They are built on the same platform as the 2 blade i thought. I saw some broadheads for turkey hunting and they look pretty menacing. I think they're the brand you were talking about. I'd love to take a turkey with a bow but I still have to figure out the gun way of shooting a turkey before I move on up lol. Can't believe how many different heads there are out there. I was told to stay way away from the carbon express heads if anyone was looking at them.

Yes i was referring to the 3 blade rage i just didn't quote your statement.

As for the 3 blade rage i have heard that some ECOs will tell you its illegal because it binds on occasion and wont retract - that's all. But its enough for me to stay away from them and i already stated my thoughts on the 2 blades.

I DON'T WANT TO GET INTO A RAGE DEBATE

Thats what Archery Talk is for ;) .

Same deal here. The ECO's say the 3 Blade Rage is illegal in NY because the blades can lock in the fixed position creating a barbed head. The 2 blade model can't because the blades deploy on the same 180 degree angle the ferrule. I have never seen it, Rage says its impossible, by the State believes it can and I'm not gonna fight city hall. Let the experts at Rage take up that cause. I will tell you this, I did see a guy use a three blade a few years back on a boar hunt in South Carolina,...... If you think the 2 blade bleeds them quick, the three blade drains them much, MUCH faster!!!!

Edited by eagle rider

I have shot them all! Fixed and mechanical, Muzzy's to Rage and let me tell you the Rage 2 blades are the BEST! I used to shoot the three blade until there was question about them being legal. I have shot several deer with the 2blades and they leave a HUGE hole. I actually made a bad shot on a doe last year and ended up hitting her in the hind leg. Usually this would be a problem but with the Rage 2 blad it actually blew the rear leg off and she blead out. And when I say blew it off I mean split the bone in half and the leg was missing. Not proud of the shot but impressed with the broadhead for sure. I will never shoot anything else again.

I picked up the 100 gr NAP hellrazor's this yr.. Less than an inch difference from field points @20 yds. and they come SHHHHARRP right out of the boxds.

same here! I killed a doe with them the other night. I have to say i wasnt overly impressed with the entry & exit hole, but the sharpness, strength, and accuracy make up for it!