4R-Buck Problem

bigbuckhunter

Create a sanctuary, as large as possible. make it thick as u can. hinge cut or felling less desirable tree species. Started doing this in 1999 and consistantly can take 5 buck and 10 doe a year off the property. last year was 11 buck and 10 doe, 197 deer 75 were antlered buck since 1999. do not go into the sancutary ever!! year round it must be off limits except to track deer that goes into it and that should be done at night. the only other intrusion would be late winter to fell more trees and thicken it up. dont go looking for sheds in it .. don't shoot into it!! This has let us take at least 1 buck a year that will make nysbbc. and several very nice 2 year olds... This is more important than food plots antler restriction, ect.. they can't grow old if there is no place safe to hide!!

• 1 year later...

I hunted conesville for years.  I shot some nice bucks there but not the caliber that we see now.  Like others say, you need food, water and cover.  The cover cannot be disturbed at all.  The thicker and nastier the better.  Basically if your quad riding through every acre of your property your not going to hold many deer.  Designate a section of the property off limits to all (has to be big enough) and get in there with a chainsaw in the off monthes and make it as impenetrable as possible.  That is the #1 best tip I ever got and it works!  Just curious, what road are you off of?  I was on Blakesly Rd off Hubbard/Bull Hill. 

I'm on brand road off of bear kill road .

I actually have one of those weird antlered deer on camera . Ill upload a pic soon . He had one large spike like antler (probably 10 inches tall) with little to no mass and on it and a 3 point spread on the other side with no mass .

He was either a huge spike or a strange buck in need of a good meal .

But then again Conesville is known for pulling a massive bruiser once every couple of years .

A 150 with a 24 inch spread got shot in Conesville last season .

A lot of good bucks in that area just have to find them. I got a few nice 10's and a real big nontypical on my cams last summer but didnt hunt much up there and never saw them during the season. A lady i know shot a nice 10 over there on opening day of gun also. Good luck this season guys!!

John

Who the heck keeps rehashing this old stuff lately lol

That's the great thing about getting old ..... this thread is so old, it seems new to me. That works good on TV re-runs too. It's just like seeing movies over and over .... for the first time .... lol.

• Like 1

Anybody else have any problems with keeping bucks on there property. we have always had young 6's a lot of spikes and a lot of really ugly deer. last year we did get a very young eight point though but only in two pictures. any pointers?

How big is the property? Anyone practice any type of deer managment on the bordering properties? Food sources?

I have alot of the same problems as the person who started the thread . I personally own 30 acres but we share with our neighbors so we hunt probably around 3-400 acres . I'm planting a few acres of clover on my property this year . Alot of the farmers around us have been subsidized so food sources have gone down . I also started to plant apple trees.

Those are some nice bucks on that trail cam

we have a lot of untouched land but the problem is we also use the land for recreation like quad riding and stuff like that so that is probably a factor also

sometimes in deer hunting you have to sacrifice other outdoor hobbies. Not always, but running quads all summer will certainly affect a would be sanctuary. You have decide what's more important.