One less trophy in East Otto

Caveman

Did a little squirrel hunting in East Otto state forest after practicing with the bow today. Came across a large bodied deer carcass about 100 yards off the road with the head lopped off.

It couldn't have been too long ago since the yotes hadn't gotten to it yet. I called the tip line and met my cousin (the zone supervisor for the forest rangers) out at the road and led him to the carcass. He said it was sad but it was the second one in as many weeks in that area. They think it's the same group that did it twice last year up the road a ways.

Freaking poachers make me sick. Not only do they break the law and steal from all of us, but they leave the meat to rot.

The serious shooting doesn't start on opening day of the season like one might think but instead starts at the beggining of Sept. and continues night and day until the season is over. Favorite poaching techniques are baiting, road hunting and spotlighting. The lazy SOB's. Those of us waiting for the season opener will be hunting the left overs.

Unfortunately you need proof to convict someone of a crime.. so without any evidence its hard to go after even the guys that you might think are guilty... but its still good to make the officials aware of something going on so they can keep their eyes and ears open. The bad guys eventually always get caught.

honestly, whats the point of poaching whitetails? I understand elephants for the sale of ivory, etc....but what does a poacher get out of a whitetail, especially if they are leaving the meat behind? who buys antlers?

Apparently quite a few people will buy mounts... and they will pay a pretty good price for them

Unfortunately you need proof to convict someone of a crime.. so without any evidence its hard to go after even the guys that you might think are guilty... but its still good to make the officials aware of something going on so they can keep their eyes and ears open. The bad guys eventually always get caught.

Oh wouldn't it be nice if that were true.

Atleast you got a response from the TIP hotline. I have called it twice in the past and had zero reply. Not only is the poaching fustrating but not getting a response was even worse.

Well I got the classic "We'll send someone out to investigate" so I texted my cousin too and hoped he was working that day lol

My Dad and me caught a guy who shot a real nice buck opening day of bow with a rifle. I held him at gun point with his own rifle until the state trooper got there. They hauled his butt to jail and we got a reward from Tips. We tried to get the antlers of the deer but they had already sent it off to be disected. The guy lost his hunting privleges for a while, not sure how many years but I do know he stopped even going up to his property during hunting season. He still doesn't come up. The buck was huge probably one of the biggest I've seen come out of that area. What a moron. One of his buddies that lives next to his property still doesn't like us for having him arrested. Oh well.

What gets me is that the penalty for poaching is usually a loss of hunting privileges. Clearly the person didn't care about breaking the law in the first place so why would that phase them. It's like when the penalty for driving with a suspended license is to have your license revoked. Doesn't make sense.

Atleast you got a response from the TIP hotline. I have called it twice in the past and had zero reply. Not only is the poaching fustrating but not getting a response was even worse.

The responce would be even more frustraiting trust me. The most agressive responce I have seen to date is the ENCON officer asked the poachers if they had a tag and when they produced it he thanked them and left. Got a tag? Really? They are poachers they don't tag their kills. My favorite responce from an ENCON officer was I quote " Well you know how the boys are they sit around the camp fire at night and have a few drinks and they just naturally end up doing a little spot lighting."

The responce would be even more frustraiting trust me. The most agressive responce I have seen to date is the ENCON officer asked the poachers if they had a tag and when they produced it he thanked them and left. Got a tag? Really? They are poachers they don't tag their kills. My favorite responce from an ENCON officer was I quote " Well you know how the boys are they sit around the camp fire at night and have a few drinks and they just naturally end up doing a little spot lighting."

Well, the ENCON officer can only arrest or ticket someone for spotlighting if they dont follow the laws for spotlighting, as it is not illegal.

Well, the ENCON officer can only arrest or ticket someone for spotlighting if they dont follow the laws for spotlighting, as it is not illegal.

I guess I should have been more specific and started by saying I told the ENCON guy that they were baiting and shooting them at night with a spot light. It's not the same as watching deer with a spot light from a vehicle. I was refering to the poaching type of spotlighting.

Edited by adirondackbushwhack

• 2 weeks later...