Anybody Hunt NH/VT?

Five Seasons

I have a potential job opportunity that I don't think I will pursue, but it's up in NH near the VT border. How is the hunting there? My assumption is similar to big woods Adirondacks, but curious if anyone hunts up there and how it compares to AG land NY. Mostly a whitetail questions, but bear, turkey and small game too.

Edited by Belo

My Uncle and Cousin always hunted just outside of Burlington. Its fairly flat in the Champlain Valley with lots of AG land. They always did quite well. I don't know if it is helpful to you because I would think on the NH side it would be more mountain area with the White Mountains. Probably like you said about the Adirondacks but Flat AG land wouldn't be too far off....

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I have a potential job opportunity that I don't think I will pursue, but it's up in NH near the VT border. How is the hunting there? My assumption is similar to big woods Adirondacks, but curious if anyone hunts up there and how it compares to AG land NY. Mostly a whitetail questions, but bear, turkey and small game too.

Better be 7 figures to live in New Hampshire year-round. 

3 hours ago, ApexerER said:

My Uncle and Cousin always hunted just outside of Burlington. Its fairly flat in the Champlain Valley with lots of AG land. They always did quite well. I don't know if it is helpful to you because I would think on the NH side it would be more mountain area with the White Mountains. Probably like you said about the Adirondacks but Flat AG land wouldn't be too far off....

yeah this is def mountain country

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Better be 7 figures to live in New Hampshire year-round. 

i was kind of shocked to see the cost of housing there. What's the draw? It's like the middle of nowehere with harsher winters. 

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Check out Jeff Doyle’s YouTube vids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thanks will do!

• Like 1

Vermont and NH, and actually large parts of southern Maine are bedroom communities for the Boston area..thus very high real estate. it isn't unusual for folks to communte up to 2 hrs EACH WAY for affordable housing/ quality of life. A good friend of mine and his girlfriend just bought a house which is an avg. of 2 hrs commute each way, both working in Boston...they go the other direction, into Connecticut. 

My father owned land for many years in northern Vermont. We didn't see or kill a lot of deer there, but the ones we managed to come home with were huge bodied; antlers were nothing spectacular.

I am heading to New England (ME, VT, & NH) this fall to turkey hunt with my dog, my understanding is that turkey numbers have exploded over the last 10 years there. Supposedly grouse numbers are very good as well.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

Hunting is good near the CT river, especially on the NH side.  There are some real bruiser bucks in NH, not as many in VT.  There is more opportunity for big woods/tracking in NH.  Tons of turkeys these days, but I don't see the grouse I used to.  Lived in and hunted VT my whole life, in Central Vermont and the Champlain Valley.  Northern VT has bigger woods.  Bears are much more common. The state is small compared to NY.  There is ag in places and big woods in the Green Mountains and Northeast Kingdom.  I doubt the deer hunting would compare to what you are used to in NY.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2020 at 8:48 AM, Daveboone said:

Vermont and NH, and actually large parts of southern Maine are bedroom communities for the Boston area..thus very high real estate. it isn't unusual for folks to communte up to 2 hrs EACH WAY for affordable housing/ quality of life. A good friend of mine and his girlfriend just bought a house which is an avg. of 2 hrs commute each way, both working in Boston...they go the other direction, into Connecticut. 

that's sort of what I was thinking. After reviewing the opportunity further it's a pass for me. 

thanks all