Southern Zone bow season starts Oct 1ST for 2012 and 7 more WMU's get antler restrictions

burmjohn

And that would be why I said what I was pissed about a couple of post's back....

Some stories and pictures, or actually all of my pictures I don't care to share on here or anywhere else. Thats just me, I'm sure my opinions on posting pictures are different form yours, again, I don't care, its not why I hunt. I sure do like reading some of the stories here though.

Where we hunt we don't shoot Does and believe me we get real nice deer each year. I believe if you want more deer you can't kill the supplier. We used to hunt near ithaca 30 years ago when you needed 2 people for a permit. When it went to 1 person per permit the deer population really suffered. There wasn't a deer to be seen. We got together with the neighbors and everyone agreed to stop killing the Does and within 3 years the population rebounded. I know there will always be some does shot but to kill alot of them in small areas really affects the herd. I don't believe the State should beable to tell a 70 year old hunter he can't shoot what he wants. Let the people who hunt the area decide what policy they want to live by. I know I saw alot more deer 15 years ago before all the DMP's were given out. This is just my 2 cents right or wrong.

Im almost positive this topic was posted for people to fight an talk shit . im all for antler restrictions an believe me i have no problem shooting a doe but i enjoy shooting deer with a nice rack if im going to shoot a buck.

Actually it was posted because the changes will effect all of us hunters in NY, and so we can all discuss it.

TheHunter, you can continue to hunt for bucks that are ten years old and toothless for all anyone here cares. Exactly why do have a problem with people shooting any deer that they happen to have a tag for and that they are happy with? So if someone is happy with that spike, you are going to walk up to him and tell him that he was a real jerk for shooting it? You are showing off your insecurities way more around here than anything else. It isn't about horns for many people. Many simply want to enjoy some time in the woods and anything they might be lucky enough to shoot they are happy with. And NO, most of these people aren't the "brown and it's down" type that you think they are. By insisting that everyone adapt to what YOU want, you are taking away what makes a lot of people happy. Sorry, I have NO doubt that you think you are right here, but I can assure you that you aren't.

TheHunter, you can continue to hunt for bucks that are ten years old and toothless for all anyone here cares. Exactly why do have a problem with people shooting any deer that they happen to have a tag for and that they are happy with? So if someone is happy with that spike, you are going to walk up to him and tell him that he was a real jerk for shooting it? You are showing off your insecurities way more around here than anything else. It isn't about horns for many people. Many simply want to enjoy some time in the woods and anything they might be lucky enough to shoot they are happy with. And NO, most of these people aren't the "brown and it's down" type that you think they are. By insisting that everyone adapt to what YOU want, you are taking away what makes a lot of people happy. Sorry, I have NO doubt that you think you are right here, but I can assure you that you aren't.

Seems you have become the voice of reason on this topic not like the one sided opinion of WNYBH. Who has a tendency to lecture us all on what we should be doing as long as it agrees with his view of hunting. For as long as I can remember we have been hunting with out the AR and it has worked for all these years. Now the trophy hunters have the ear of the DEC and whey want to change things. We should just leave things alone , if you are happy with a spike fine, if you want a trophy fine it's all in the choice of the hunters.

I won't have a problem this year with them shooting any legal AR buck, so not sure what your talking about. Its not about the horns, get that through your thick, ignorant head. I'm not asking EVERYONE to adapt to what I want, the State is telling you to adapt to what the MAJORITY WANTS. Get over it man...

I won't have a problem this year with them shooting any legal AR buck, so not sure what your talking about. Its not about the horns, get that through your thick, ignorant head. I'm not asking EVERYONE to adapt to what I want, the State is telling you to adapt to what the MAJORITY WANTS. Get over it man...

But you obviously still have problems with people shooting that " sweet 90 pound spike" in the other units where they are still LEGAL to shoot?? Give us a break, please, we know where you are coming from.

And who is this majority? Some of these vocal "sportsmans" groups that have been crying to the DEC that they don't have enough big bucks to shoot? Prove to us that it indeed is a true majority? We have been thru this nonsense with you before. You only turn up in the AR arguments and think it will be the salvation to mankind. If you like them keep them in your area, but don't think everyone is happy to see them in theirs or that they won't be voicing their opinions against them.

Seems you have become the voice of reason on this topic not like the one sided opinion of WNYBH. Who has a tendency to lecture us all on what we should be doing as long as it agrees with his view of hunting. For as long as I can remember we have been hunting with out the AR and it has worked for all these years. Now the trophy hunters have the ear of the DEC and whey want to change things. We should just leave things alone , if you are happy with a spike fine, if you want a trophy fine it's all in the choice of the hunters.

Dave, dont even start your nonsense. Id be willing to bet you dont have a clue as to what was really going on between Centerpunch and I yesterday. I have never denied anyone the right to their own opinion, but you and a few others seem to have the opinion that I dont have the right to discuss my opinion because Im a moderator, and you cant handle when somebodys opinion differs from yours. Youre just pissed because you tried calling me out a few months ago and I stepped up with facts that backed up my position. Booo freakin hoo.

As stated above, I am against mantatory ARs. Especially in areas that have lower carrying capacity and fewer hunters.....and no doe tags. For me, each season is a new adventure/experience. in my annual 8-10 days of rifle hunting in 3A, I;ve had years where I may see 4 or 5 bucks. And I've had years where maybe I catch a glimpse of 1. Reasons for success are obviously varied (population swings with severity of winter, timing of the rut, weather conditions during the hunt, etc.). Where one year I may pass up a deer or two (yes, anti-AR guys pass up bucks too!) and may or may not wind up tagging one, other years I may not see a buck til day 7. If I choose to shoot a spike late in my hunt, thats my decision. I've been up and down mountains for 7 days in a row, sunrise til sunset, in all kinds of weather. Who is anyone to tell me that my spike isnt good enough? That spike is worth more to me than a 10 point that someone could have shot multiple times, over 3 years, but kept letting it go. We are not farmers who raise animals and then "harvest" them when the time is right. We are hunters who kill and eat animals at our own discretion. Deer that get big do so because they are stronger/smarter than the rest. Not because we let them live.

Dave, dont even start your nonsense. Id be willing to bet you dont have a clue as to what was really going on between Centerpunch and I yesterday. I have never denied anyone the right to their own opinion, but you and a few others seem to have the opinion that I dont have the right to discuss my opinion because Im a moderator, and you cant handle when somebodys opinion differs from yours. Youre just pissed because you tried calling me out a few months ago and I stepped up with facts that backed up my position. Booo freakin hoo.

First lets start with the facts you are no moderator on the contrary you are an instigator. You insult anyone who doesn't agree with your so called facts. What's this being called out stuff I thought this was a hunting forum to express ideas and learn from each other, not the OK Corral. For the life of me I don't know why John puts up with your behavior. One fact ,more people have left this site because of your antics. You should learn to listen instead of running off with your mouth. I could care less about your opinion but more about the members on this site who contribute in a positive way. Does ADD ring a bell, take your medication. No need to respond, sick of reading your posts. Stayed away from the site for awhile and guess what you are still ranting and raving, how many members have you gotten into with? Guess you will continue till you piss off everyone on this site. If you want to know what a monitor is like just follow Doc's lead, polite, informative and respectful to all on this site.

First lets start with the facts you are no moderator on the contrary you are an instigator. You insult anyone who doesn't agree with your so called facts. What's this being called out stuff I thought this was a hunting forum to express ideas and learn from each other, not the OK Corral. For the life of me I don't know why John puts up with your behavior. One fact ,more people have left this site because of your antics. You should learn to listen instead of running off with your mouth. I could care less about your opinion but more about the members on this site who contribute in a positive way. Does ADD ring a bell, take your medication. No need to respond, sick of reading your posts. Stayed away from the site for awhile and guess what you are still ranting and raving, how many members have you gotten into with? Guess you will continue till you piss off everyone on this site. If you want to know what a monitor is like just follow Doc's lead, polite, informative and respectful to all on this site.

I dont insult people that dont agree with me unless they start throwing insults first, and I am very friendly and courteous to those that can hold a discussion without name calling and throwing out insults. I have had plenty of discussions with people on here where we didnt see eye to eye on the subject, but both walked away from it with no hard feelings. Sorry if some guys cant handle someone disagreeing with their opinion.

Funny that you say something like "no need to reply", because that is exactly the crap that I am talking about. You dont seem to think I have a right to my opinion, then whine about it when anyone disagrees with yours. I am a member here, just like everyone else, and have every right to participate, just like everyone else. I could honestly care less about what your opinion of me is, seeing as you dont know me from a bag of beans.

Oh and Dave, you shouldnt start bringing other people into a discussion they arent participating in.Talk about rude.

I dont insult people that dont agree with me unless they start throwing insults first, and I am very friendly and courteous to those that can hold a discussion without name calling and throwing out insults. I have had plenty of discussions with people on here where we didnt see eye to eye on the subject, but both walked away from it with no hard feelings. Sorry if some guys cant handle someone disagreeing with their opinion.

Funny that you say something like "no need to reply", because that is exactly the crap that I am talking about. You dont seem to think I have a right to my opinion, then whine about it when anyone disagrees with yours. I am a member here, just like everyone else, and have every right to participate, just like everyone else. I could honestly care less about what your opinion of me is, seeing as you dont know me from a bag of beans.

Oh and Dave, you shouldnt start bringing other people into a discussion they arent participating in.Talk about rude.

First why would there be any hard feelings about a discussion, unless that's your reaction to others opinions. Why as a moderator do you let it get that far? You should be big enough to halt it right there on the spot. Unless you like to put fuel on the fire. Crap, is what we get to hear from you every time you post and some BS too. Rude is your personality. I don't think it's rude to bring to your attention that other moderators are more respectful, polite , and informative than you. You have a lot of growing up to do , if you listened more you might learn something. And please don't use the same old response about not being able to handle someone disagreeing with our opinions. One question why are the other moderators contributors and you are always ready for a fight? I wonder if we had vote the moderator off the Island how long you would last?

Why do hunters need the DEC to set their harvest choice? If the majority of the people supposedly want AR they would just do it on their own. I believe these same people don't have the self discipline to do it themselves. If I want to shoot a buck I will shoot a buck no matter what size he is. This is just one step more in controlling how we hunt. We should loosen restrictions to encourage more hunters rather than discouraging them.

Why do hunters need the DEC to set their harvest choice? If the majority of the people supposedly want AR they would just do it on their own. I believe these same people don't have the self discipline to do it themselves. If I want to shoot a buck I will shoot a buck no matter what size he is. This is just one step more in controlling how we hunt. We should loosen restrictions to encourage more hunters rather than discouraging them.

Because we are humans and can be very destructive without regulation there would be no deer or very few of them just like before the DEC came to be. After reading peoples arguments and getting a feel for where other people come from I'm not sure I am in favor of ARs. Someone mentioned highgrading the herd with monster 4pnts... makes sense. As to why the DEC has elected use ARs, I'm not sure, I tried to make an interpretation earlier in this post.

I wish 6p was added.. but that's wishful thinking. Maybe someday, then I won't have to worry so much about every scrub I let walk getting blasted by the next guy.

Your about the only other person I seen on this site that hunts 6p..Problem is unless you hunt bow we can't even hunt their yet..I wish they gave us a little more time to hunt myself bow hunters have months compared to are weeks!!But good thing ill have a bow by next year!!!

And i think you should be able to shoot any deer you want i mean meet is meet and it's hard to get a deer as it is.If you hunt state land it's even worse.No offense but hunting a deer farm isnt reallt hunting lol their tons of deer in a fenced in area you know their coming sooner than later lmao..It would be like fishing from a swiming pool full of fish of course i would catch something!!But hey good luck to all no hard fealings over hear!!

Love it. I can't say I agree with a statewide AR. Some areas with low deer densities need to adjust their deer management accordingly. I am not a "horn hunter" like so many anti - AR guys like to call us pro - AR guys. For me it isn't about having to kill something to make me feel successful. I hunt almost every day of the season. From bow opener to muzzle closing. Last yr I didn't shoot a deer until muzzleloader; an adult doe. Not because I didn't have the chance, but because I love being in the woods. It's a great feeling letting an animal go, that you know you could shoot, and hoping he makes it. Really, what challenge is in shooting probly the dumbest animal in the woods, a yearling buck during the rut. There's no doubt in my mind that thru the last 6 yrs of me letting young bucks go has benefited hunters who may not pass on bucks in the neighboring properties. I have exclusive hunting right to almost 500 acres, and post and patrol another 300 +. I know I got it better then most. There's plenty of deer around. The problem is age structure. I don't know alot of guys that put spike horns and 4 pointers on their walls so the hunter who says horns don't matter yet has bigger bucks on their wall is conflicting. Meat hunter or not, their is something magical about adult bucks. Are heart races more and our smiles are bigger when we get to harvest one........The gentics argument doesn't work neither, for the most part. There's no way of knowing what a spike horn or 4 pointers genetics are.Once they're dead it doesn't matter. They could of been late born fawns. Also, the does carry the same genetics as the bucks. Thier's a misconception for some that spike don't grow into big racks. Science has proven that wrong. The 3 point rule isn't perfect by far. It's taking out alot of young bucks that should be passed, but it's a step in the right direction. For me I only shoot adult deer. Buck or doe. I take the time to know what I'm shooting at, and if it's something I really don't wanna shoot; I don't. Theirs not alot of use who "need" to shoot deer to survive. Enjoy the outdoors. Don't just shoot a deer because it's a legal deer. My 2 cents......

• Like 1

Well after reading all these posts I figured I chime in. LOL! Sorry about the length of the post but you all gave me lots to think about. :D

I have read all about those who have no problem shooting does, fawns or does with fawns and I figure "hey why not if it's legal and it works for you then go for it". For others the thought of shooting a fawn is not something they choose to do but a spike or four pointer is a true trophy, again if it's legal, who should tell another they need to live up to someone else's standard of what makes a trophy? I myself have been fortunate enough to take many deer over the years and have some really nice bucks on the wall, and have let many a small buck walk past me. I have also taken many a smaller buck over the years and have felt just as fortunate and proud of them. Did I pay big money to mount them? No, but I still kept them all and can recall the story of each, and how I can to harvest them, and they tasted just as good. Heck, from time to time late in the season I will even take a doe if the freezer is low, the doe is big, and she is alone. LOL!

But, I think it was what G-Man said that really rings with me. The last thing I want as a landowner, tax payer, or citizen is to have the government impose one more rule or mandate on me. A sure fire way to make me want to shoot a small buck is to dictate to me as a hunter and land owner that I can't.

Lastly, this is just a question to the argument of superior genetics. I think it will only apply to the antlers and there will be a lot of stupid, big racked deer running around. If survival of the fittest applies, then only the smartest or craftiest bucks are making it to their third, forth and so on years. If we start give the dullards a free pass through deer season are we really promoting survival of the best? :scratchhead:

Edited by New York Hillbilly

I think instead of AR's, it should be a 1 buck rule for the year... if you want to shoot a 1 horned 3" spkie for your buck.. go right ahead.. but thats it.. Give out doe permits based on populations and be done with it... I have my own rules for AR's on myself... If I go years without killing a buck I don't mind, I fill my freezers with doe's, I try to fill all my doe tags every year... But again, that is my "rules" I have for me...