What gauge

Dom

I know most of the hunters here use rifle's. How ever in my area it is shot gun only for biggame is there any one that uses a 16 guage other than myself.And if so how do you like it.I have a mossburg that is bolt action with out scope been useing since i started deer hunting and still holds a group of slugs less than a nickle apart at 100yrds.Not to bad for old gun.

Allways shot slugs never shot anything else out of,Ialso have 410 same style thats what i use for shotshells.never had problem with them 410 shoots slugs just as good.Wish i could use 410 for deer hunting but they say bullet/led not big enough its bigger than most rifle bullets and just as acurite.

I know they say you can't use one for deer hunting and to be honest I have never been a fan of the 20 ga for deer (just my personal opinion and observations). BUT....the actually have better ballistics and knock down power than a .41 magnum pistol round and you can use one of them for deer. Some of the laws in NY just don't make sense. I can't use my 30-30 in areas of shotgun hunting but can take out a pistol chambered in .30-30, .30-06 or bigger.

I have a mosberg .410. it is a bolt action and was the second gun I was given to small game hunt with (after I proved myself on a single shot 12ga...36" barrel and full choke...that was an eye opener for a yourgster...lol) That .410 does throw a crazy accurate slug.

I know they say you can't use one for deer hunting and to be honest I have never been a fan of the 20 ga for deer (just my personal opinion and observations). BUT....the actually have better ballistics and knock down power than a .41 magnum pistol round and you can use one of them for deer. Some of the laws in NY just don't make sense. I can't use my 30-30 in areas of shotgun hunting but can take out a pistol chambered in .30-30, .30-06 or bigger.

I have a mosberg .410. it is a bolt action and was the second gun I was given to small game hunt with (after I proved myself on a single shot 12ga...36" barrel and full choke...that was an eye opener for a yourgster...lol) That .410 does throw a crazy accurate slug.

Its WEIRD THE GUN LAWS OF NEW YORK NEED TO BE UPDATED.

The 410 is considered a shotgun/rifle if shooting shot its a shotgun if shooting slugs then its a rifle.So can we use them where rifle hunting is allowed ?Any one got info on this.

Is that a question or a statement someone made to you?

The .410 is ALWAYS considered a shotgun because of the shell construction. I have heard "tales" of guys shooting .41 amgs out of old single shot .410 shotguns but I wouldn't recomment it.

Is that a question or a statement someone made to you?

The .410 is ALWAYS considered a shotgun because of the shell construction. I have heard "tales" of guys shooting .41 amgs out of old single shot .410 shotguns but I wouldn't recomment it.

I was asking some ppl say its a rifle i didnt know for sure.Why do they sell slugs for them another?

My first two shotguns were 16 gauge..The first one was an Eastern Arms single barrel and the second one was a Rem 11-48 auto with a 28 inch modified barrel. Both guns grouped slugs acceptably with the bead sight, and killed a number of deer. I currently own only one 16 gauge, a 1936 vintage Winchester Model 12. Never shot a slug through it. It is full choke, so chances are it would not group slugs well, but you never know. I have seen a few full choke guns that grouped slugs well, but they are the exception. Generally in smoothbores, open chokes group better than tighter chokes.

An old aquaintance of mine, long since dead, had a Model 12 16 gauge with a modified barrel and a reciever sight.

He always claimed that his gun would blow a hole in a hummingbird as big as your fist at 50 yards...

Edited by Pygmy