Shipping stuff For a hunting trip Question.

biggamefish

For those that have flown somewhere for a hunting trip how do you ship your fuel cells for stoves? I have a stove that takes the individual fuel cells. I don't want to rely on finding one when I get to my destination but kinda iffy on sending them through the mail. What have you guys done?

I havent done it, but have talked with some backpacking travelers/treckers who have, and have seen this come up on other sites. You can NOT fly with any sort of fuel. Gotta do some homework on that. Suggestion in a pinch...

Alcohol stoves (non pressurized) use denatured alcohol you can get at any hardware/walmart store. Do not use the type you buy in drugstores...it is too denatured. Hardware store supply 60-70 % is good. You can also find coleman type fuel at almost all hardware/department stores., or a good multifuel stove will burn unleaded gas, and is probably the cheapest and most reliable source. If you get a new stove, leave plenty of time to play with it before hand, and best have a new unused fuel cell to travel with. 

On 4/20/2020 at 8:06 AM, biggamefish said:

For those that have flown somewhere for a hunting trip how do you ship your fuel cells for stoves? I have a stove that takes the individual fuel cells. I don't want to rely on finding one when I get to my destination but kinda iffy on sending them through the mail. What have you guys done?

I've never shipped that kind of stuff for hunting trip, but try bowsite.com forums. Surely, someone there has

On 4/20/2020 at 8:06 AM, biggamefish said:

What do you mean by "iffy"?  Either it's legal or it isn't..........if it is, ship it!

31 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

What do you mean by "iffy"?  Either it's legal or it isn't..........if it is, ship it!

It has to be shipped ground only and labelled "ORMD- Ground Only"; similar when shipping ammo. And yes I know there are many who dont, and stuff flat rate regular boxes. I follow the rules, my call...its not that big of deal. YMMV

Personally I have bought online from camping supplier and shipped to a delivery address (New Mexico, Texas). I find this easiest as they are used to packaging and I don't have to deal with a clerk who is flustered at anything out of the ordinary. Also if you pick one of the many suppliers near your destination shipping time will be shorter; I also didn't want to drive around looking for canisters when wanting to just be on my way.

Fairly common for hikers as standard practice to use "general delivery" as a care of at a local post office for pick up, if you don't have a hotel/outfitter/friend to mail to specific. I mailed gear as a box along with a purchase of fuel to a UPS store right next to car rental building to hold package, reversed the process and mailed gear home and took meat as checked luggage home. Used cooler as box for gear on way out, cheaper then extra baggage fees and again didn't have to find something there.

Thank you for the vote of confidence.^_^

7 hours ago, rachunter said:

“Dinsdale” could most likely answer that question. Maybe PM him.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 3