Jumbo Fisher

Pygmy

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I am gonna ask a stupid question.....well....becasue I am stupid sometimes...lol. Dan, sure it wasn't an otter? 4' is one big ass Fischer. 

I've never seen one in person (maybe seen one last year but on Rt 20 so doesn't count) but for all the ones I've seen on camera, I can totally believe they could be 48" from tip of nose to the end of the tail.  

Ahhhhh, a Wikipedia Record!!  By golly at 48" it would be a World Record Tommy...........

Physical characteristics

220px-Fisher-face-snow_-_West_Virginia_-

Fisher in winter coat

Fishers are a medium-sized mammal, comparable in size to the domestic cat. Their bodies are long, thin, and low to the ground. The sexes have similar physical features, but they are sexually dimorphic in size, with the male being much larger than the female. Males are 90 to 120 cm (35–47 in) in length and weigh 3.5 to 6.0 kg (8–13 lb). Females measure 75 to 95 cm (30–37 in) and weigh 2.0 to 2.5 kg (4–6 lb).[11][12] The largest male fisher ever recorded weighed 9 kg (20 lb).[13]

The fisher's fur changes with the season and differs slightly between sexes. Males have coarser coats than females. In the early winter, the coats are dense and glossy, ranging from 30 mm (1 in) on the chest to 70 mm (3 in) on the back. The color ranges from deep brown to black, although it appears to be much blacker in the winter when contrasted with white snow. From the face to the shoulders, fur can be hoary-gold or silver due to tricolored guard hairs. The underside of a fisher is almost completely brown except for randomly placed patches of white or cream-colored fur. In the summer, the fur color is more variable and may lighten considerably. Fishers undergo moulting starting in late summer and finishing by November or December.[14]

Fishers have five toes on each foot, with unsheathed, retractable claws.[3] Their feet are large, making it easier for them to move on top of snow packs. In addition to the toes, four central pads are on each foot. On the hind paws are coarse hairs that grow between the pads and the toes, giving them added traction when walking on slippery surfaces.[15] Fishers have highly mobile ankle joints that can rotate their hind paws almost 180°, allowing them to maneuver well in trees and climb down head-first.[16][17] The fisher is one of relatively few mammalian species with the ability to descend trees head-first.[18]

A circular patch of hair on the central pad of their hind paws marks plantar glands that give off a distinctive odor. Since these patches become enlarged during breeding season, they are likely used to make a scent trail to allow fishers to find each other so they can mate.[15]

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

if it is a fisher and that big he is gonna be out the cost of another full mount...lol

and no fisher mounts that big. would need some sort of african animal form cut down to size. 

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

That’s the opposite of what I’ve seen in Ontario County.  Seems that they both arrived on my cameras at the same time, maybe 5-6 years ago??

I figure I’ve been using cameras for about 11 years??

I've had a dec camera trap here for Fisher for about 7 years now, and I personally  run 21 cameras , and been using them since trail timer came out with a solenoid plunger for 35mm back in 93. . Last year I got 1 picture of a fisher carrying a turkey egg then none all year but several bobcat every 2 weeks. I got one Fisher a couple of weeks ago and then a bobcat showed up again, getting photos of cats and Fisher gone again...  3 years ago I had active fisher den ,last 2 years no fisher again.

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

That’s the opposite of what I’ve seen in Ontario County.  Seems that they both arrived on my cameras at the same time, maybe 5-6 years ago??

I figure I’ve been using cameras for about 11 years??

I've had a dec camera trap here for Fisher for about 7 years now, and I personally  run 21 cameras , and been using them since trail timer came out with a solenoid plunger for 35mm back in 93. . Last year I got 1 picture of a fisher carrying a turkey egg then none all year but several bobcat every 2 weeks. I got one Fisher a couple of weeks ago and then a bobcat showed up again, getting photos of cats and Fisher gone again...  3 years ago I had active fisher den ,last 2 years no fisher again.

50 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Pygmy, Here you go ,big fisher , this is dec camera trap photo the bottom black band is 3 ft and top  is 4 ft off ground( they do this exact for size measurements.  This one is around 40 in long tip of tail to nose..FB_IMG_1588192029084.thumb.jpg.7921c547f648db0cea8be9e66430fc38.jpgFB_IMG_1588192011266.thumb.jpg.ed8e09fd17995581b45d9f0d6d2b1b55.jpg

Excellent pics. Very informative. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Excellent pics. Very informative. 

They send a cd rom of all the photos they get off the camera trap every year. Use beaver meat for lure, and the box it is in has nails sticking out like barb wire, it catches hair and they do dna to identify individuals.. most I had was 2 breeding pair and 3 kits. That was 3 years ago now.. now I have bobcats..

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, G-Man said:

They were numerous here until the bobcats moved in . Then they dissapeared, asked dec biologists and they were going to be a bobcat study and see what relationships were. I'd like to trap them but season is super short and. Work gets in the way. They get big!

Here’s a couple pictures from trail cam videos from a couple weeks ago, 4 days apart.  The month and year are off because when I swapped batteries last time I didn’t reset the date/time.  

the amount of coyotes on this card from this pull was huge.....almost every day.  The deer are usually multiple times a day too.  I think one skunk, squirrels and turkey too.  About a two week soak. 

D8E0FB96-40F2-4CC3-96FF-DA9988E9FA8C.jpeg

FA12EB66-BFAF-48E3-97A9-4A6F9BF95510.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Here’s a couple pictures from trail cam videos from a couple weeks ago, 4 days apart.  The month and year are off because when I swapped batteries last time I didn’t reset the date/time.  

the amount of coyotes on this card from this pull was huge.....almost every day.  The deer are usually multiple times a day too.  I think one skunk, squirrels and turkey too.  About a two week soak. 

D8E0FB96-40F2-4CC3-96FF-DA9988E9FA8C.jpeg

FA12EB66-BFAF-48E3-97A9-4A6F9BF95510.jpeg

Yeah its seems the dissappear here with the bobcats moved in. Maybe they will balance out, we took 3 bobcat all in archery off about 400 acres. 

When I posted I said it was probably an exaggeration, but to me it APPEARED to be four feet long...

Of course, I happened to be taking a leak at the moment, and sighting the critter along the length  of my penis, there may have been  an issue of perspective...

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I am gonna ask a stupid question.....well....becasue I am stupid sometimes...lol. Dan, sure it wasn't an otter? 4' is one big ass Fischer. 

Nope...Definitely not an otter, Bob....I got a very good look at it...And besides, it was high on a ridge, far from water and in a spot where an otter shouldn't otter be.....

That said, an acquaintance of mine told me that while deer hunting in the Adirondacks he once shot what he THOUGHT was a fisher ( yeah he knew it was illegal) and when he approached it he discovered he had shot an otter...But he was within 100 yards of the Raquette River....I saw this critter about a mile  uphill  from the Canisteo River with some very steep terrain between me and the river

• Like 1