Striper Season

dbHunterNY

Stripers are good fighters...Not GREAT fighters, like smallmouth bass or bluefish...Tied tail to tail, a 5 pound smallie or blue would drag 10 pound striper around backwards until its scales fell off....Still they are strong fighters and get really big, and a  big one is  a definite workout...
As far as eating goes I would rate them very good....Not WONDERFUL, like bluegills or walleyes or black sea bass, but very good...As opposed to bluefish, which taste like shit unless quite small and iced immediately, in which case they are better than no fish at all, but still not that good..

But none of them hold a Peacock bass’s jockstrap. I feel like they are like smallmouths on steroids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Stripers are good fighters...Not GREAT fighters, like smallmouth bass or bluefish...Tied tail to tail, a 5 pound smallie or blue would drag 10 pound striper around backwards until its scales fell off....Still they are strong fighters and get really big, and a  big one is  a definite workout...

As far as eating goes I would rate them very good....Not WONDERFUL, like bluegills or walleyes or black sea bass, but very good...As opposed to bluefish, which taste like shit unless quite small and iced immediately, in which case they are better than no fish at all, but still not that good..

It depends on the time of year. In the fall they fight pretty good. It also depends on how oxygenated the water is. They give a good fight the very begining, but tend to give up. Blues definitely fight harder than stripers though. I like stripers, but id definitely prefer fluke, blackfish or trout over stripers. Never had walleye though. Blues have to be fairly small (sub 2 lb) and bled right away. Fluke and blackfish is by far some of the best table fare we have down here 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

But none of them hold a Peacock bass’s jockstrap. I feel like they are like smallmouths on steroids

You guys should try pompano fishing. Those are the hardest fighting fish. They use their bodies in the current. Also eels can fight very hard. Caught a 35" one when I was young and it fought harder than any fish I had caught till then. Id say steelhead have to fight the hardest though

• Like 1

Hardest fighting fish I’ve caught was a big amberjack. I’ve fought Goliath grouper without ever getting a look but that’s more them getting under a rock or wreck and that’s the end of it. Big barracuda are beasts too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

You guys should try pompano fishing. Those are the hardest fighting fish. They use their bodies in the current. Also eels can fight very hard. Caught a 35" one when I was young and it fought harder than any fish I had caught till then. Id say steelhead have to fight the hardest though

Apparently none of you have caught a tuna lol. Pound for pound the hardest fighting fish in the ocean. Even the “professionals” on TV need a winch on a broom stick to get them in...with difficulty. A 5lb bonito has the same fight as a 15lb bluefish which has the same fight as a 20ish lb striper.

Just imagine a 1000+lb bluefin. Ive had 100lb yellowfin pull my boat around the ocean.

Edited by squirrelwhisperer
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Apparently none of you have caught a tuna lol. Pound for pound the hardest fighting fish in the ocean. Even the “professionals” on TV need a winch on a broom stick to get them in...with difficulty. 

I never even saw one....Heaviest fish I ever caught was an 85 pound halibut in Alaska.. We were fishing bottom in 3oo FOW and when we boated that fish, I  sat down, opened a beer and hoped another one didn't bite for awhile...

I hooked another one after that that I never saw, but was definitely bigger...Hooked it on a jig in 300FOW  and fought it for a long time, getting it perhaps halfway to the surface..It damn near took the rod away from me a couple of times.... Finally just came unhooked, and I never saw it, but I know it was a LOT bigger than the 85 pounder that I landed..

2 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I never even saw one....Heaviest fish I ever caught was an 85 pound halibut in Alaska.. We were fishing bottom in 3oo FOW and when we boated that fish, I  sat down, opened a beer and hoped another one didn't bite for awhile...

I hooked another one after that that I never saw, but was definitely bigger...Hooked it on a jig in 300FOW  and fought it for a long time, getting it perhaps halfway to the surface..It damn near took the rod away from me a couple of times.... Finally just came unhooked, and I never saw it, but I know it was a LOT bigger than the 85 pounder that I landed..

You need to try DEEP SEA fishing for golden, yellow, or blue line Tilefish or even some Barrelfish. 600 FOW is considered shallow. I have had to use 5lb of sinker to reach them in “deep” water. Never mind reeling them in, you don’t want to check your bait lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

You need to try DEEP SEA fishing for golden, yellow, or blue line Tilefish or even some Barrelfish. 600 FOW is considered shallow. I have had to use 5lb of sinker to reach them in “deep” water. Never mind reeling them in, you don’t want to check your bait lol. 

Hehehehe..Sounds like to much work for an old fat fart like me  !!….Very cool, though...

19 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Apparently none of you have caught a tuna lol. Pound for pound the hardest fighting fish in the ocean. Even the “professionals” on TV need a winch on a broom stick to get them in...with difficulty. A 5lb bonito has the same fight as a 15lb bluefish which has the same fight as a 20ish lb striper.

Just imagine a 1000+lb bluefin. Ive had 100lb yellowfin pull my boat around the ocean.

Lol no never have, but it didnt look like fun based on the show tbh. Id rather catch the small guys on regular tackle 

Lol no never have, but it didnt look like fun based on the show tbh. Id rather catch the small guys on regular tackle 

I’ve done it and completely agree!

We did a a family tuna trip for 5 year’s caught them all but 1 year. I only went because they liked going. I think tuna fishing is extremely boring! I mated part time on a sport fishing boat out of Morehead NC for a few years. We ran charters and fished marlin tournaments from Maryland to the Bahamas. There’s not much that swims in the blue water that I haven’t caught, there’s nothing I’ve ever tangled with that fights anywhere near a wahoo. A spring king on the big lake is still my favorite.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’ve done it and completely agree!

We did a a family tuna trip for 5 year’s caught them all but 1 year. I only went because they liked going. I think tuna fishing is extremely boring! I mated part time on a sport fishing boat out of Morehead NC for a few years. We ran charters and fished marlin tournaments from Maryland to the Bahamas. There’s not much that swims in the blue water that I haven’t caught, there’s nothing I’ve ever tangled with that fights anywhere near a wahoo. A spring king on the big lake is still my favorite.

What was boring about it? Ive heard a lot of people sat trolling is boring, if thats what you were refering to being boring

What was boring about it? Ive heard a lot of people sat trolling is boring, if thats what you were refering to being boring

Wasn’t the trolling, I love trolling. The fact you’re using a hand winch with stupid heavy line and leaders with a 2x4 of a rod that’s mounted to the corner of the boat. The one captain we went with let us use stand-up tackle and that was a lot more fun. But most captains don’t do that because they want to get the fish in as soon as possible to get their checks.

• Like 1

Just now, Buckmaster7600 said:

Wasn’t the trolling, I love trolling. The fact you’re using a hand winch with stupid heavy line and leaders with a 2x4 of a rod that’s mounted to the corner of the boat. The one captain we went with let us use stand-up tackle and that was a lot more fun. But most captains don’t do that because they want to get the fish in as soon as possible to get their checks.

Exactly what I didnt like about it! Just doesnt seem fun after the first one. I can see one being fun since its a fish you've never caught before 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

1 hour ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Exactly what I didnt like about it! Just doesnt seem fun after the first one. I can see one being fun since its a fish you've never caught before 

I only use stand up tackle. Almost never troll. Typically start out with my satellite sea surface temp charts, find a good temp break or a Gulf Stream eddie and head that way. On the way out I am watching the radar for swarming birds or breaching whales. Once spotted (if spotted) I will get to within 1/4 mile and scan down deep with side scan sonar. Can’t mention how many time I have landed on them and either bail them on butterfly jigs or cast surface lures to them. I am considering building a 12-15 wt fly rod to use out there next. 

If your captain was a real salty tuna man, he woulda made you take a bite of the heart of your first ever tuna! That’s the tradition. I almost puked my first time. 

I prefer smaller tuna. Anything over 100-150lbs is too much work. 50-75lb yellowfin are my FAVE. IMHO, they make the best sushi/sashimi. 

Truth is I’d rather stay nearshore, no more than 15mi from the beach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I only use stand up tackle. Almost never troll. Typically start out with my satellite sea surface temp charts, find a good temp break or a Gulf Stream eddie and head that way. On the way out I am watching the radar for swarming birds or breaching whales. Once spotted (if spotted) I will get to within 1/4 mile and scan down deep with side scan sonar. Can’t mention how many time I have landed on them and either bail them on butterfly jigs or cast surface lures to them. I am considering building a 12-15 wt fly rod to use out there next. 

If your captain was a real salty tuna man, he woulda made you take a bite of the heart of your first ever tuna! That’s the tradition. I almost puked my first time. 

I prefer smaller tuna. Anything over 100-150lbs is too much work. 50-75lb yellowfin are my FAVE. IMHO, they make the best sushi/sashimi. 

Truth is I’d rather stay nearshore, no more than 15mi from the beach. 

You take your boar out for them? This year I really want to catch a false albi 

20 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

You can catch them from shore most years. Yes, BTW. 

Yeah I have a friend out in southhold and he catches a ton of them every year. I just never bothered to go for them, so this year im planning to make an effort...i hope

Caught an 8.5’ marlin in Jamaica hooked in the side and the harness would not fit me.  I am accustomed to big salmon, but this was a whole new experience.  My forearms were so fried I couldn’t pick up my luggage for a few days.  Lol.  

• Like 3

Caught an 8.5’ marlin in Jamaica hooked in the side and the harness would not fit me.  I am accustomed to big salmon, but this was a whole new experience.  My forearms were so fried I couldn’t pick up my luggage for a few days.  Lol.  

That’s a recipe for a Nantucket sleigh ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro