Guess they can't read posted signs.

Skillet

You need to try and get there on other days to catch them and keep them off guard. I hunt and own farm land near you . Here's a couple things I do.Starting late Aug. when guys are driving around looking in fields etc. in the evenings, I make it a point to go down and check my posted signs along the road as often as i can.

I do this with either an AR 15 over my shoulder or a combat shotgun and a Glock on my hip.

Next I sit at my parking spot smoking a cigar, with said gun leaning against my chair and smile at the p/u's driving by. Some nice nights I sleep in my truck out by the road.

Next I have had a dec cop come by and do the robo deer, night time watches etc. Trust me have them parked at your spot while you talk for awhile and word gets around . Helps though since I spread it.... This started years ago when we had poacher issues and the dec was great. When I got the name of the suspected poacher, I would often park across from his house , just so he could see the same truck from where he was poaching.

Look you gotta be the hard a$$ sometimes . I have not had so much as a foot print on my spot in years .

For what its worth a large number of bow hunters I know "carry" while hunting. I don't because that would be illegal.

• Like 1

around here, the nearest pd is neary 20 mies away, and they wont do squat with hunting issues, dec is aways a over it.

tresspassing IS NOT a hunting issue, its a legal issue about having people on your land without your permission.........if these people tresspassing were doing nothing hunting related, then it would be o with you that they were there?? NO.........they are tresspassers, if your local PD wont do anything, document it, and keep going up the ladder till they do something, or call state troppers, or sheriffs........eco's arent the only law out there that can do things for you

around here, the nearest pd is neary 20 mies away, and they wont do squat with hunting issues, dec is aways a over it.

It isn't a hunting issue, its trespassing. Weather the trespassers are hunting or not, they are no supposed to be there.

Are you telling me that if a guy put up a tree stand in your front yard and you called the police about it, they would tell you to call the DEC?

Edited by SteveNY

You are right, trespassing is not a DEC only issue, but in regards to trespassing to hunt the DEC would be the best equipped to handle the situation. It is something that they fully understand, and the PD may not want to get involved. Yes the documenting and going up the ladder may work, but why go through all the trouble if the DEC would handle it in the first place? The DEC relates well to the outdoorsman and can also recognize any other laws the trespasser is violating.

It isn't a hunting issue, its trespassing. Weather the trespassers are hunting or not, they are no supposed to be there.

Are you telling me that if a guy put up a tree stand in your front yard and you called the police about it, they would tell you to call the DEC?

last i knew, if you shoot a deer on private land, from a vehicle, it is an eco issue.

last i knew, if you shoot a deer on private land, from a vehicle, it is an eco issue.

Who said anything about shooting from a vehicle? That would be an issue weather it was the landowner him self or a trespasser alike.

The discussion at hand is people trespassing on private property, weather they are hunting or not, local PD should respond to it and should ask if you want to file a report.

Next thing im gonna hear is that if a guy breaks into your house with a gun, but hes wearing a camo jacket, you should call the DEC, cause maybe he was hunting right before he broke into your house.

steve I think we are agreeing just not seeing the agreement the same way

and some of you still dont understand its not just about hunting......tresspass is having someone on your land without YOUR permission.PERIOD, if they happen to be hunting ok its hunting related, if they are riding quads, horses, just hiking through...........its not about hunting, its about being somewhere where they arent supposed to be...then the local PD, or state troopers or the ECO's can enforce the tresspass laws......

I have nothing to offer other than reading this site really makes me second think buying a place of my own.

Don't post it. when city people buy somethiung they slam up teh posted signs, even on tiny parcels that no one ever would go on...except to break balls .

we never posted a single piece of our lands, ever, most we sold to the state since thye had us over a barrel with their offers, some to timber companies, and some fairly large pieces to private people...who immediately ran out and posted the land, at least road frontage.

guess which properties are always having problems with tresspass? yepper.

we were raised that you are simply a steward of the land, not an owner of it anymroe than two fleas can argue over who owns the dog they are on.

the sign may say "POSTED" to you, but to everyone else reads " mine mine mine mine mine", maybe its a mindset that comes from what you are brought up on, and what you come to see as rude behavior, the big yellow " F*$&$ YOU" sign you put up invites people to disrespect you in turn.

it isnt a matter of the law, its a matter of not understanding there are two different cultures coming together

Don't post it. when city people buy somethiung they slam up teh posted signs, even on tiny parcels that no one ever would go on...except to break balls .

we never posted a single piece of our lands, ever, most we sold to the state since thye had us over a barrel with their offers, some to timber companies, and some fairly large pieces to private people...who immediately ran out and posted the land, at least road frontage.

guess which properties are always having problems with tresspass? yepper.

we were raised that you are simply a steward of the land, not an owner of it anymroe than two fleas can argue over who owns the dog they are on.

the sign may say "POSTED" to you, but to everyone else reads " mine mine mine mine mine", maybe its a mindset that comes from what you are brought up on, and what you come to see as rude behavior, the big yellow " F*$&$ YOU" sign you put up invites people to disrespect you in turn.

it isnt a matter of the law, its a matter of not understanding there are two different cultures coming together

All the locals by me post all their properties just as I do. You have a twisted way of thinking, at least as far as where I come from. When I see a posted sign, I respect it. I never trespass on posted properties, but if I see no signs, its free game.

I guess it depends where you're from?

Under that logic, why am I paying a mortgage again? I'll just sell my place and move into your house. Don't be surprised to find me sitting in your couch watching TV and eating the left overs in your fridge when you come home.

Under that logic, why am I paying a mortgage again? I'll just sell my place and move into your house. Don't be surprised to find me sitting in your couch watching TV and eating the left overs in your fridge when you come home.

Amen to that. But if you said you where hunting it would be an dec issue and not a police issue at least!!! Trespassing is a law and people break it if a cop sas he can't do anything about it report him. He is a public offical and he works for you. He has to do something about it!

Who said anything about shooting from a vehicle? That would be an issue weather it was the landowner him self or a trespasser alike.

The discussion at hand is people trespassing on private property, weather they are hunting or not, local PD should respond to it and should ask if you want to file a report.

Next thing im gonna hear is that if a guy breaks into your house with a gun, but hes wearing a camo jacket, you should call the DEC, cause maybe he was hunting right before he broke into your house.

i said something about shooting from a vehicle. so your telling me its not trespassing if someone kils a deer on your property from a vehicle and retrieves the deer, or whatever they shoot? who said anything about breaking into house? that made alot of sense.........

All the locals by me post all their properties just as I do. You have a twisted way of thinking, at least as far as where I come from. When I see a posted sign, I respect it. I never trespass on posted properties, but if I see no signs, its free game. I guess it depends where you're from?

I'm fairly certain that's considered trespassing as well. Even if land is NOT posted, you still have to acquire permission to hunt on it.

The above is indeed true....

Q. Must I post to keep people off my property?

A. No. Trespassing is illegal even on unposted property, unless it is unimproved, apparently unused and unfenced (or not otherwise enclosed to exclude intruders.) Even on vacant land, a written notice delivered in person (or by certified mail with a signed receipt, etc.) to any person, in the name of the landowner or authorized party, containing a description of the premises and a warning of restrictions which apply has the same effect, for that person, as if the land were posted with those restrictions. Likewise, anyone asked to leave the premises, posted or not, by the landowner, occupant or other authorized person, must do so immediately.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8371.html

Now i know we are all quick to jump to the conclusiion of it being some @sshole that is tresspassing. I know i was hunting the gun club a few years back and was following a trail, turns out i was on my buddy Daves land. He wasnt mad because i honestly didnt know the land boundarys, but keep in mind some people may just not know where the boundary lines are. Just my input.

i said something about shooting from a vehicle. so your telling me its not trespassing if someone kils a deer on your property from a vehicle and retrieves the deer, or whatever they shoot? who said anything about breaking into house? that made alot of sense.........

Okay, I didnt see when you said that about shooting from a vehicle. I see it now.

No I'm NOT saying that it isn't trespassing. If the road is a private road on your property, they ARE trespassing. If they shoot a deer that is on private property from a public road, that is NOT trespassing, until they cross the threshold of that private property line to go get what they shot at.

I said something about breaking into a house as an analogy.

I'm fairly certain that's considered trespassing as well. Even if land is NOT posted, you still have to acquire permission to hunt on it.

I agree that it is still trespassing even if it is not posted. But how would I know it is private property if it is not posted, improved, used or fenced and I dont know the area?

The above is indeed true....

Q. Must I post to keep people off my property?

A. No. Trespassing is illegal even on unposted property, unless it is unimproved, apparently unused and unfenced (or not otherwise enclosed to exclude intruders.) Even on vacant land, a written notice delivered in person (or by certified mail with a signed receipt, etc.) to any person, in the name of the landowner or authorized party, containing a description of the premises and a warning of restrictions which apply has the same effect, for that person, as if the land were posted with those restrictions. Likewise, anyone asked to leave the premises, posted or not, by the landowner, occupant or other authorized person, must do so immediately.

http://www.dec.ny.go...tdoor/8371.html

You are right that is it illegal to trespass on unposted property. That is obvious, or else you would see posted signs on everyone's property in citys and suburbs too.

But read the first line again carefully... "Trespassing is illegal even on unposted property, unless it is unimproved, apparently unused and unfenced (or not otherwise enclosed to exclude intruders.)"

Example: I'm hunting a piece of state land I never hunted before. I wander into someones property that I dont know or have permission from. It is not posted or fenced in or anything, looks exactly like the state land I was just on. I AM trespassing, but in this instance NOT illegal.

Okay, I didnt see when you said that about shooting from a vehicle. I see it now.

No I'm NOT saying that it isn't trespassing. If the road is a private road on your property, they ARE trespassing. If they shoot a deer that is on private property from a public road, that is NOT trespassing, until they cross the threshold of that private property line to go get what they shot at.

I said something about breaking into a house as an analogy.

I agree that it is still trespassing even if it is not posted. But how would I know it is private property if it is not posted, improved, used or fenced and I dont know the area?

You are right that is it illegal to trespass on unposted property. That is obvious, or else you would see posted signs on everyone's property in citys and suburbs too.

But read the first line again carefully... "Trespassing is illegal even on unposted property, unless it is unimproved, apparently unused and unfenced (or not otherwise enclosed to exclude intruders.)"

Example: I'm hunting a piece of state land I never hunted before. I wander into someones property that I dont know or have permission from. It is not posted or fenced in or anything, looks exactly like the state land I was just on. I AM trespassing, but in this instance NOT illegal.

You are correct. That is completely different that pulling off on the side of a road, and walking onto someone's land that is not posted. That's what I thought you were inferring.

I know what you are saying. But, I have hunted many tracts of State land her in Ny and I can't think of any that aren't marked with those cute little signs and the entire boarder painted with that puke yellow colored paint. Our lease actually boarders State land and we have had a couple folks wander across and haven't had an issu with them leaving when we explained th boundry. I guess we knew from the get go the lay of the land and it would be a possibility.

I guess legally if the land falls into that unimproved part...you get one free pass. Personally worrying about getting "caught" on someone elses land itsn't worth the frustration. And as a side note. If the DEC and or Police are called on you during that first mis step onto someone elses land and you have a deer down....It is owned by the landowner. Happed to a friend. The landowner took the deer under the observation of the police and DEC. The DEC tried to smooth it over so my buddy could get his buck but no dice. He lost a beauty because of it. (He shot it...It wondered onto unposted property and died)

I created a ODM in my hunt area, then gave it a name, then bought metal posted signs from Voss signs with the hunting club name on it. It has stopped all tresspassing. I think the club name on a metal posted says "this is real we will prosecute"

And as a side note. If the DEC and or Police are called on you during that first mis step onto someone elses land and you have a deer down....It is owned by the landowner. Happed to a friend. The landowner took the deer under the observation of the police and DEC. The DEC tried to smooth it over so my buddy could get his buck but no dice. He lost a beauty because of it. (He shot it...It wondered onto unposted property and died)

Did your friend have to tag the deer with his tag and then give it to the landowner?

At least he didn't have to burn his tag. That was one SOB landowner, that's for sure. Maybe one should ask permission before going onto someone else's land in a case like that, but if a landowner wants to claim the deer that happened to wander over to die, he surely isn't going to win any respect from me either.

Yeah he was bummed. The Lo was sitting on the line. it was during bow season and the deer literally dropped about a 100' over the line. LO saw it crossed and he waited for my buddy to come through on the blood trail. What can you do. I went out there the next day and you could lierally see the gut pile from the property line. The sad thing is it could have built a relationship if it was handled differently. Now that LO won't have a prayer of tracking on to their property.