Frustrated with bow hunters

308shooter

Just as you get frustrated with bow hunters, I get frustrated with the gun hunters who "spray and pray", and hit everything except the deer that ran right in front of them. What sense does it make to fire 6 rounds in a attempt to put down a deer. I bow hut because it takes great skill and you have only one shot. I gun hunt with a ML because you only get one shot. That is how it is where I come from - One shot one kill. Trying to draw a line between bow hunters and gun hunters is absolutely retarded! If you are jealous of the nice bucks we get to shoot during bow season then get off your ass and put the time in the trees, or better yet do it on the ground and really hunt the deer! Until then you are no different from anyone else. 308 When you stalk and drop a buck like this on the ground (gun or bow) then give a call! Until then take your mamby pamby sensitive ass somewhere else. The best thing I like about bow season is that I have 3 deer already. How many do you have?

post-1623-0-22035100-1320800024_thumb.jp

Great point. Myself, I started out and stayed a strictly gun hunter from the age of 14 until about 6 years ago. I wanted more time in the woods, so I have put alot of time, energy and money into learning how to bow hunt. One thing that I truly love about it is the seemingly constant learning curve. Its a great sport, and has a great motivator for me to learn more and more about deer behavior, tactics, etc. Nobody should mock it till they try it, its a totally different game from gun hunting, and will help with your gun hunting skills as well.

What I dont like is the in-fighting stuff, but I think Doc hit the nail on the head. It always seems to boil down to guys being jealous that they arent getting first crack at the deer.

Doc, the same is true with the proposed youth hunt..bow hunters hating gun hunters getting a shot a their deer, how i long for the good old days of just hunting and having a good time..no big buck media influence... hunt what you want to hunt and the way you choose... every deer is a trophy... and i dont seem to remember any bow vs gun hunters, or youth hunt envy either...

Doc I think you said it well when you said people think these deer are theres. I find it hard to think other wise when someone takes a stand like this. Like I said before 308 he has never lost a deer that he knows of. I have been hunting for 15 years now and every deer I have shot at weather a bow or a gun I know what I shot at and if I hit it. That is being a responsible hunter. I have records of all my hunts misses hits and squirrels that I tried to get with my sling shot etc.

Back to the topic...I think it is good for someone of our ranks to bring up the necessity for us all to constantly recommit to making the best and quickest kill possible no matter what the weapon.

And we always need to be rigorous when it comes to our equipment to sort out the gimmicks from the real deal.

This site is filled with a lot more successful kills ...than the few that got away. And don't forget...if you were a deer,...let's say if the deer could vote...like what Peta wants... (they are talking about Seaworld with Killer Whales in the courtroom)... the deer would all vote for a longer archery season.

Wouldn't you, if you were a deer, rather have someone after you with a bow than a modern firearm?

The deer win!!! on election night!

Good to be a bow hunter when the deer are voting for you!

Boy I'm in this one kinda late but i have to say that i agree with some of what 308 has said but i just don't think he said it very well. Bow hunting is my passion but i agree that maybe in the past few years things have gotten a bit out of control with SOME types of bow hunters. I do come across alot of guys that are flinging arrows around like fools. Some even laugh about it the same way i guy jokes about emptying his 12 guage at a running deer from 125 yrds. Someone stated earlier that these types of hunters do it with both weapons. Well i personally think its about time us bow hunters started standing up to fellow bow hunters and say knock this crap off. We need to re-instate the ethical choices that most bow hunters carry into the wood already, and start demanding it of the ones who don't. I really hate to blame it on the media but i think the problem has gotten alot worse with these people thinking they are Micheal Wadell or something. They sit and watch the hunting shows for 11 months of the year and then when the first deer comes within 45 yrds they let it fly. If they hit it great. if not oh well. Now i do think this type of bow hunter is way in the minority and i believe 99% of the guys on this site are very careful hunters, so i'm not singleing anyone here out but i do think we bowhunters should continue to strive to set ourselves apart and hold ourselves up to higher standards than we have been. There is always room for improvement.

• Like 1

Back to the topic...I think it is good for someone of our ranks to bring up the necessity for us all to constantly recommit to making the best and quickest kill possible no matter what the weapon.

And we always need to be rigorous when it comes to our equipment to sort out the gimmicks from the real deal.

This site is filled with a lot more successful kills ...than the few that got away. And don't forget...if you were a deer,...let's say if the deer could vote...like what Peta wants... (they are talking about Seaworld with Killer Whales in the courtroom)... the deer would all vote for a longer archery season.

Wouldn't you, if you were a deer, rather have someone after you with a bow than a modern firearm?

The deer win!!! on election night!

Good to be a bow hunter when the deer are voting for you!

hahaha, well said.

No antler I don't think any of them are that important, but they think they are. As well as the kool-Ade drinkers that hang on their every word. Keep listening to what comes spewing out of there mouths and the more clearer of a picture comes into view of what they really represent. Started this to get a little awareness as to how non chalant a lot of people on this site are about wounding deer. I don't care about trophies or how many deer I can shoot in a season, as sg0331 is. I care about there being any deer left to hunt in 10-15 years. But. Keep it up guys and girls knock them dead or just wound them and "try" to track them down. I know I can look at myself in the mirror. Thats the last you will hear from me.

My two cents, for whatever it is worth, says that making a statement like this based on anecdotal evidence (which is what most of the posts here contain) is probably not a good idea. If we could seem some statistics on maimed deer then we could make an informed decision. I think it a bit unnecessary to get all worked up over what you see people posting online as they represent only a small fraction of actual hunters out there.

• are you serious ....... the way i see it most of the people on here put their time in and practice practice practice..... and for you 308 when was the last time you took time to get to know your rifle.... bad hits happen even with a gun... how many times have you heard the boom boom boom on opening day thats real ethical... or how about the guy who shot the other guy in glen spey.... rifle hunter and what about the other guy shooting his 300 win in to a trailer and killing a baby come on seriously.... a wounded dead is alot better than the examples. i can say that i go in to the woods hoping for that chance at a buck of a lifetime and i practice.... and as you can read my post in 3k i lost the buck things happen....

My two cents, for whatever it is worth, says that making a statement like this based on anecdotal evidence (which is what most of the posts here contain) is probably not a good idea. If we could seem some statistics on maimed deer then we could make an informed decision. I think it a bit unnecessary to get all worked up over what you see people posting online as they represent only a small fraction of actual hunters out there.

I'm not following you. which of the 50 statements in this thread were you referring too?

lets just face it.its not the weapon.Its how much you practice with your weapon and how confident you are with it.And how ethical you are.

I lost deer with shot gun.I have only wounded a deer that i didn't recover with bow.It jumped the string and got fatty tissue from going through its skin above its back.

I know my limitations with a bow.I practice and i only take shots i know i can make now with whatever weapon i use.

Its not the damn weapon thats the problem.

I have such a passion for bow hunting cause its is so close and personal.You have to have all the elements in perfect order.Wind,distance,clear shot and not get noticed by your game you are persuing.The challenge of it has me so addicted that i dont even care to gun hunt.To me it is a hunting of another level.My 11 yr old son could drop a deer at 200 yds with the 308 or 30-06 if i would let him.In his stinky foot ball clothes on and talking normal tone.Whats the sport in that?BTW.i wouldn't let him but you see what i mean.

I hear this all the time about bow hunters.And the reason i first started bow hunting was cause i never saw deer during gun.I started bow hunting and have gotten so much closer to the animal i have gained more respect for the animal.I have watched them do their normal thing and let them walk by.Before i bow hunted i woulda smoked any one of them with my ithaca deerslayer.

Bottom line.Have respect for that animal and dont make unethical shots.No matter what implement.

• Like 1

Where I am from it is common that if you hit an animal you fill out the tag anyway... you find it or not.

If one hunter wounds 10 deers per year and bags only one or two... its not 1-2 dead animal from the population of the area its 11-12...

I don't do bow hunting because I am not sure if I can make a proper shot... I don't even want to risk it...

Some hunters just don't give a f... about wounded animal... he knows that he has plenty of time left in season to get anther animal...

In country where I am from to get a hunting license its like getting a drivers license...

Getting drivers license in Ny is l couple test drives in school and theory of 30 questions ( and you can make 6 mistakes, Its impossible to fail it) which all are the same just different positions of words in sentence... It took me 1.5 month to get my drivers license here.

Back In my country you have to pass 90 questions in school (3 mistakes allowed) then test drive 1h with teacher trying to trick you to turn where you cant legally turn so you have to be very cautious. That is only driving school. Then there are 30 questions in DMV which you don't have in the book and you have to think logically... and another 1h drive with the instructor.

Getting a hunting license is almost the same like here but you also have to:

go to hunting education classes for 90hours

pass field test on running boar(carton target) 3 shots on running and then you have 2 shots on standing boar... all that you do with 12ga U/O shotgun using a Slug without any optics

or you can choose to shot the flying dishes which you have to hit 15 out of 20

After that you are allowed to use shotgun during regular season....

to Use a rifle 3 years must pass since you got your shotgun license...

Why am i posting all of this... Is because over there they make sure you can shoot before you go out in the forest.

If you cant make a proper shot don't do it...

if you did make a bad shot do everything that is possible to get that animal...

If your hands don't shake after you have killed an animal you have became a killer...

We all have a responsibiltiy to try and havest wild game

(deer) as quickly and humanly as possible.Truth is it

doesn't always work that way.Ya everyone's entitled to

their views.But here's something for you to think about.

More deer are killed or mamned every yr by being hit

by auto's or natural accidents(yes this actually happens to)

then hunter's wounding them in a given yr.I won't bash anyone

on here but I would ask for anyone posting about a sensitive post

to please take the time to think about what your saying and who

or what it's about.I have been bow hunting for over 20 yrs now and

yes I have lost 1or 2 over the yrs it happens.As long as humans are

on god green earth human error will occur we just hope it doesn't

happen to often.

Edited by hb270deermanager

In country where I am from to get a hunting license its like getting a drivers license...

Getting drivers license in Ny is l couple test drives in school and theory of 30 questions ( and you can make 6 mistakes, Its impossible to fail it) which all are the same just different positions of words in sentence... It took me 1.5 month to get my drivers license here.

Back In my country you have to pass 90 questions in school (3 mistakes allowed) then test drive 1h with teacher trying to trick you to turn where you cant legally turn so you have to be very cautious. That is only driving school. Then there are 30 questions in DMV which you don't have in the book and you have to think logically... and another 1h drive with the instructor.

Getting a hunting license is almost the same like here but you also have to:

go to hunting education classes for 90hours

pass field test on running boar(carton target) 3 shots on running and then you have 2 shots on standing boar... all that you do with 12ga U/O shotgun using a Slug without any optics

or you can choose to shot the flying dishes which you have to hit 15 out of 20

After that you are allowed to use shotgun during regular season....

to Use a rifle 3 years must pass since you got your shotgun license...

Thats pretty interesting Edgar, what country is that?