Frustrated with bow hunters

308shooter

I think those guys are what 308 was referring to... I have to say i can understand in a way... I think most of you are hot over him badmouthing bowhunters... some of you have even said similar stuff here referring to gun hunters... He made an observation and pointed it out... yeah he went overboard... but he wasn;t far off base with his general observation about the number of lost animals... we are all good at trusting that just because fellas post here about how much they practice and how ethical they are... that they actually are what they say they are... my experience tells me that with all the practice that a lot of hunters do with their bows or guns...they still don't seem to make the right choices when it comes to actually firing those weapons... I know fellas that are crack shots at the range that still shoot at running deer in the brush, take shots just outside their comfort zones, and are a bit too anxious about killing a deer at all costs... so although you might not like how 308 said it.. you all know that some of what he says is true

I have no problem with what some of what he say's is true!!! I have a problem with him calling out bowhunter's as the problem. As i said before if it was possible to check numbers,i would bet as many deer are lost with guns on opening weekend of tier shotgun season then there is lost to both north and south bowhunters all season long!!! No doubt in my mind!!!

wait a minute, isnt it the all mighty bowhunting group that are always crowing about we dont want crossbows in our woods because it will encourage too many amateurs to get into our hunting season and u will see wounded deer all over the place?

kinda a funny how u just cant conceal BS sometimes, let it simmer for a while and the sludge always floats to the top, lol..

• Like 1

I would rather have confidence than ignorance anyday. If you read the orignal post as everyone else did you would see it has nothing to do with any other wepon besides bow.. Take the number of gun hunters and then take the number of bow hunters... well i think you can figure it from there. The bow and gun fight will go on forever.The way i see it is everyone has the same right to pick up and learn how to use a bow,gun,muzzle,crossbow as anyone else.If they cant figure one of them out,can't do much about that.Bow vs gun for wounded deer....easy answer!! I have no problem with any law or season for crossbow. I welcome it!! My choice will be to not waste my time and money unless they have their own season. Choice's...isn't it nice to be in the good ol usa!!!

• Like 1

im going off topic for a sec...... whats the deal with crossbows? I thought u had to have some kind of disability to use the crossbow, unless that was a rumor. To be super honest, i dont know, but it would be cool to try one out.

Simple, crossbows are legal this year and next during any season in which you can use a gun on deer. They are only legal for deer, and anyone can use one. In 2012 they will be making a decision on where they are placed permanently. The DEC has already said it wants them legal in all seasons, but whatever they decide, wont take effect until the 2013 season.

Some good posts by Ny Antler,Doc,and 4seasons . It is going to happen no matter what the weapon, but like I said in another thread I see little good that can come from posting on line about it, or walking into a diner and loudly proclaiming you "lost a good buck" or telling everyone at work etc. Something I see/hear every year, as well as all the non hunters near by.....

Nobody who when asked,"hey hows the family?' replies, "not bad my oldest is smoking a lot of dope though, my son is flunking 2 classes, my wife is seeing larry302 on the side..."

But there seems to be no shortage of hunters who loudly tell all over and over through the season," lost a deer", when asked,' how's the season going?".

308 maybe your mother should have wore a condom when she had sex with your daddy

Totally out of line we don't need responses like that, period. A low life statement , what would make a you respond with such a comment? Grow up!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't have something positive to say then say nothing. MHO

I think those guys are what 308 was referring to... I have to say i can understand in a way... I think most of you are hot over him badmouthing bowhunters... some of you have even said similar stuff here referring to gun hunters... He made an observation and pointed it out... yeah he went overboard... but he wasn;t far off base with his general observation about the number of lost animals... we are all good at trusting that just because fellas post here about how much they practice and how ethical they are... that they actually are what they say they are... my experience tells me that with all the practice that a lot of hunters do with their bows or guns...they still don't seem to make the right choices when it comes to actually firing those weapons... I know fellas that are crack shots at the range that still shoot at running deer in the brush, take shots just outside their comfort zones, and are a bit too anxious about killing a deer at all costs... so although you might not like how 308 said it.. you all know that some of what he says is true

I have no problem with what some of what he say's is true!!! I have a problem with him calling out bowhunter's as the problem. As i said before if it was possible to check numbers,i would bet as many deer are lost with guns on opening weekend of tier shotgun season then there is lost to both north and south bowhunters all season long!!! No doubt in my mind!!!

very well put

I think those guys are what 308 was referring to... I have to say i can understand in a way... I think most of you are hot over him badmouthing bowhunters... some of you have even said similar stuff here referring to gun hunters... He made an observation and pointed it out... yeah he went overboard... but he wasn;t far off base with his general observation about the number of lost animals... we are all good at trusting that just because fellas post here about how much they practice and how ethical they are... that they actually are what they say they are... my experience tells me that with all the practice that a lot of hunters do with their bows or guns...they still don't seem to make the right choices when it comes to actually firing those weapons... I know fellas that are crack shots at the range that still shoot at running deer in the brush, take shots just outside their comfort zones, and are a bit too anxious about killing a deer at all costs... so although you might not like how 308 said it.. you all know that some of what he says is true...

Good observation, there in lies the truth.

The problem is as one said the posting of "I lost a deer." during bow season..I admit I did the same thing last year....but not just to release frustration and guilt but to mention Deer search....What it is... IMO.... that when bow hunters...and I will say all bow hunters loose a deer they KNOW they did...with the number of lost gun shot deer....there are a whole lot of deer lost and the shooter never knew...as Cynthia pointed out...never even try tracking in many cases...I think many have a mind set if it didn't go down ...it wasn't hit...and IMO I think some ppl look at gun shooting a deer as a "Oh well shit happens" and just go about more hunting....Bow hunters tend to take it a bit more personal...

Just observations from conversations over many many years....I personally think everyone should have to bow hunt one year before getting a gun license...but that's me

Exactly, and just because you walk to where the deer was, no hair, no blood, and no arrow, dosnt mean u didnt hit him. My buddy shot a doe a few days ago and he knew he hit her, and didnt find blood the whole 80 yards till he found her where she was laying dead. Same thing my grandpa shot a doe with his rifle, didnt see blood, but i walked about 50 yards into the feild the deeer was last seeing running to, and found her balled up dead with blood all over where she was layin but no blood the whole way there.

i vented last year as well about all the lost deer threads also. i was a bit bummed to see so many deer lost in a matter of a weeks time. It does happen tho and i always wondered howmuch time was truly put forth in the recovery and also if it was a marginal shot take in hopes of killing that deer, who knows.... point is we dont know all the details 100% and in reality theres nothing i can do from behind a computer but lend advice and hope it hits home to the OP close enough for some advice to sink in for his next shot and recovery...

• Like 1

i also think guys take shots they shouldnt just so they dont see that buck walk away with out his arrow. Sometimes watching them walk due to no shot op is part of the game... Do you know how many 120 - 130" deer i had to let walk in my time because i felt the shot was not worth taking and i will be damned if i take a shot and wound a deer i may have a better chance at in the future. Ive let a 130" 12 walk TWICE!! in one weekend! thats commitment... i had him at 18 yards and 15 yards. i could have threw an arrow at him and posted the same lost deer thread a so thers but you know what, im different. or stupid lol

id like to think the thrill of the hunt is where its at and killing one is a bonus or icing on the cake. Any time im in the woods is a great hunt!

Sometimes watching them walk due to no shot op is part of the game... Do you know how many 120 - 130" deer i had to let walk in my time because i felt the shot was not worth taking and i will be damned if i take a shot and wound a deer i may have a better chance at in the future. Ive let a 130" 12 walk TWICE!! in one weekend! thats commitment... i had him at 18 yards and 15 yards. i could have threw an arrow at him and posted the same lost deer thread a so thers but you know what, im different. or stupid lol

id like to think the thrill of the hunt is where its at and killing one is a bonus or icing on the cake. Any time im in the woods is a great hunt!

Well, you probably get to hunt a lot more than 90% of the hunters out there, so you are more selective and careful. I will bet that another 90% of hunters out there, be they bow or gun hunters wouldn't let that 12 pointer (or even a much smaller deer) walk by once, never mind twice. Just doesn't happen in the real world. We can think we as hunters all think rationally and of ethics at a moment like that, but that would honestly be asking way too much of most hunters out there. Not defending them here, just telling it the way I see it. Most hunters would shoot, say his "Hail Mary's" and hope for the best. Might not be saying much about us hunters as a group, but hey, I'm just telling it the way I've seen it and it honestly matters little on the experience level of the hunter from what I've seen. The IQ's of many hunters I've seen isn't very high to begin with, so asking them to make rational decisions when they have a bragging size buck in front of them might just be a bit too much for them. Sad but true.

i also think guys take shots they shouldnt just so they dont see that buck walk away with out his arrow. Sometimes watching them walk due to no shot op is part of the game... Do you know how many 120 - 130" deer i had to let walk in my time because i felt the shot was not worth taking and i will be damned if i take a shot and wound a deer i may have a better chance at in the future. Ive let a 130" 12 walk TWICE!! in one weekend! thats commitment... i had him at 18 yards and 15 yards. i could have threw an arrow at him and posted the same lost deer thread a so thers but you know what, im different. or stupid lol

Geno, I think it is all about opportunity and from your posts you have had many. So you look at it differently than the hunter who gets one weekend a year to hunt deer. You know that you will get another opportunity to get a buck. Simply because you will be in the woods hunting more than one weekend a year .You may also have the privledge to hunt private property which also gives you a better chance to fill your tags not so for the hunters who have only one weekend and hunt state land.So you can wait for another chance, the better shot, the sure shot but the one weekend a year hunter must take what is presented to him there is no second chance. May not be the best shot but none the less he will take that shot. Can't wait till next year. That is just my opinion. (OPPORTUNITY)

Geno, I think it is all about opportunity and from your posts you have had many. So you look at it differently than the hunter who gets one weekend a year to hunt deer. You know that you will get another opportunity to get a buck. Simply because you will be in the woods hunting more than one weekend a year .You may also have the privledge to hunt private property which also gives you a better chance to fill your tags not so for the hunters who have only one weekend and hunt state land.So you can wait for another chance, the better shot, the sure shot but the one weekend a year hunter must take what is presented to him there is no second chance. May not be the best shot but none the less he will take that shot. Can't wait till next year. That is just my opinion. (OPPORTUNITY)

My opinion is regardless of how much time one has to hunt, as a hunter you should not take a shot you know you should not be taking. I wish I had more time in the woods, maybe i'd have a deer right now :)

Study says that there is a 50% percent chance that deer which were not recovered by a poor bow shot are more likely to survive than that of a poor placed gun shot. 85% of deer die from poorly placed gun shots. Just make the right call when you draw your bow or pull the trigger. Comparing bow hunters vs gun hunters is ridiculous.

My opinion is regardless of how much time one has to hunt, as a hunter you should not take a shot you know you should not be taking. I wish I had more time in the woods, maybe i'd have a deer right now :)

John, don't you also own your own land and hunt on private property? So like Geno and even myself we have may more opportunities than the average hunters. When you own your own land you look at things differently than the one weekend hunter. I was just being realistic whether it's the way you think or not it's just the way it is. Not saying it's right, just it is what it is.