Cold weather base layer clothing???

loworange88

So I want to invest in some more base layer clothing. I have some of the old school waffle style long john bottoms and tops. I also have some microfleece stuff from Redhead. Just wondering what else is out there that is good for long sits. I dont really want to break the bank with Under Armour(plus I hear its not all that great for cold weather) I know Target and Walmart carry the similar products such as Champion, and Starter. Any input would be great.

Thanks.

I use under armour cold gear on top and for the bottom i bought these goose down long johns for under your pants then put on insulated overalls

If it really gets chilly i break out the heat wraps...You can get a 2 pack in cvs or rite aid that wrap around your entire lower back kidney area and will stay heated alllll day. Best thing i bought so far.

If you look hard you can find some base layers at sports stores that wont break the bank. I went to school for forestry and they made us buy something other than cotton because cotton kills or so they say. That being said I have a synthetic top that I use just a generic heavy synthetic long john top. I always where BUGZ SKINZ for cabelas for the tick issue then a cotton tee shirt then the synthetic top. That seems to work with just a light coat all bow season then when it turns cold I stick a flannel on then a sweatshirt and a big coat. That combo means no walk though to hot but I stay warm.

Remeber layers for all day sits and don't wear too much walkng in and get sweaty that is a sure thing to be cold all day.

The only thing i will use against my skin now is Wool. You can spend a lot (i.e. Filson, Smart Wool, Justin Charles) or you can spend not so much and go with Minus 33 which is what i did. Its more expensive than your Walmart - Target options but less then the high end stuff. I love the stuff. Cheapest place i have found is Slibermans Army and Navy.

I perfer to wear more layers, and a light jacket. Under Armor has proven itself to me. On those COLD days I wear cold gear under armor base layer, must be on your skin to work correctly (wicking) and a polar weight cabelas one piece. Through on a a wool jacket, wool socks. Never wear cotton against your skin when it is cold. That will save you some misery..For hands...My hands are always cold. What I have been doing now is cheating. I carry three pairs of gloves with me. (I do not like any bulky gloves) I put the chemical hand warmers in the gloves I am not wearing, and stuff them in an inside pocket. Then I change from the gloves I had on for a while, to a nice warm one. And it has the added benefit of warming your guts as well:)