Question on my Mossber 500

Down here we can only hunt with shotgun. So I want to buy a new barrel for my Mossberg which has the "field" barrel that came with it.

I went to Cabelas.com and there 2 availabe barrels a 24"- rifled and an 18.5"-with Cyl. bore. My question is which barrel would be best for deer hunting. I shoot 2 3/4 shells

Are you shooting a scope or iron sights?....and research the cost of the slugs. It may not be a factor for every one but if you have never spent $12-18 for 5 slugs it can give you sticker shock. the 24" would need these. and if you are planning on using a scope....get a cantilever mount. In my opinion a receiver mounted scope on a shotgun with a removable barrel will never do that gun justice. The groups will be a lot bigger.

What's the price of the rifled barrel ? The reason I ask is because almost every year Dick's Sporting Goods has the Rifled & Modified Mossburg Combo on sale for $250 . My sister in law shot a 5 pt buck with a Mossburg 500 20 ga smooth bore using the cheap Federal slugs at just over 130 yards and he only made it 30 yards . Those Mossburgs are great guns .

• 1 month later...

I have Mossberg 500 with a 4X scope and have routinely killed deer at 75 to 100 yrds with the "slug barrel" cycl bore. I picked up a rifled barrel from a gun shop a few years ago - didn't shoot worth a damn - traded it back for a 30" turkey barrel. Tried all kinds of fancy expensive sabot ammo in 2 3/4 and 3".  I went back to the slug barrel. Federal 2 3/4. 1oz seem to pattern the best - three shot groups inside a 6" pie plate with no problem. I think the key to success is a good recoil pad and practice to get used to the recoil.

I  :-* my 500.  She has received many the affectionate smooch on her still warm barrel.  Good girl.

I actually made a post about this in the gear for sale area, but I have a barrel I have never shot for a 12 gauge mossberg 500,  I was a ding dong when I was like 21 and ordered 2 from Mossberg direct.  I'd be willing to part with it pretty cheap, as it is doing me no good whatsoever sitting in it's cardboard packing in my closet.

Edit: Also for ammo I like cheap old Remington 3" sluggers.  Those mossberg barrels don't seem to like Sabots, but give those hunks of lead a pretty accurate spin for a cannon with no wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 500 too. Nice gun.

Used to just keep it for the skunks and woodchucks that made the mistake of using my yard as a mess hall, but now hunt with it here in Putnam.

No scope and I don't own a dog, but it's kept me fed with plenty of Grouse, Pheasant, and squirrels. Almost had a shot at a Buck last year, but I dropped the chair I was carrying before I could bring up the gun to shoot. What can I say...I like to sit comfortably. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am in similar boat, paid $110 for a very lightly used mossberg 500 with a non-rifled, no choke barrel. I want to buy a rifled barrel and scope $175.00 at dicks, I would be into the gun for 285. the price of a new 500 2 barrel combo, go figure?