Frustration with fellow bowhunters continued

erussell

Hunting with a bow takes a lot of discipline and skill then hunting with a gun. Due to that fact, I think there are a lot of people who aren't true dedicated hunters using guns while there would only be a few if any using the bow. So while a lot of factors can cause an arrow to miss much more so that than a bullet, there's also a lot more idiots walking around with guns than bows.

Elmo- If you are trying to say that accurately shooting a bow requires more practice and mental and physical discipline than accurately shooting a gun (at least for hunting purposes) ..... I agree. There is something quite instinctive about shooting a gun well. Archery accuracy does require some fairly rigid form and execution characteristics and enough practice to turn them into engrained methods of shooting. However, to carry that thought out beyond that point and into such things as hunting dedication and hunting ability and responsibility and ethics really has nothing to do with the difficulty of using either weapon. If you or anyone else is trying to connect up ethics with any particular weapon, you should understand that there is no such connection. Responsible hunting is something that exists between the ears of the hunter and is not dependant on what weapon he/she is carrying.

• Like 1

Elmo- If you are trying to say that accurately shooting a bow requires more practice and mental and physical discipline than accurately shooting a gun (at least for hunting purposes) ..... Responsible hunting is something that exists between the ears of the hunter and is not dependant on what weapon he/she is carrying.

Doc, I agree with you completely. My only point was that due to the ease of the rifle for hunting purposes, I believe more new hunters who don't want to put in the time to learn or simply "wants to blow sh#t up", etc. are drawn to a gun more then a bow.

I found a dead deer from a bow in Ohio on Saturday. First one I've ever found that was clearly bowkilled. It was an awkard shot angle (almost straight down) with an exit...but it had to have died pretty quickly (within a couple hundred yards). My best guess is that it was shot in a nearby small woodlot when the corn was still standing about two weeks ago. I bet they lost blood in the corn since it was a vertical shot (nothing left/right) to rub off on the stalks. The lot the buck was in was less than 4-5 acres total.

My hunting partner shot a buck in Ohio and I was nervous as heck because we were in about as big of a corn field as I've ever seen and the deer went in there pretty fast. Thankfully it was a great shot and an easy track.

I don't think it is a bowhunter issue as mentioned...it's a hunter ethics issue.

erussel, first who is hunting in your area? I would check around and see if you can find out who hit the deer. You have one arrow, most likely the other hunter will have a few more like it in their quiver. Nothing you can do legally, but its good to give your 2 cents if you find out who hit the first buck. You may help someone to become a better hunter.

Elmo- If you are trying to say that accurately shooting a bow requires more practice and mental and physical discipline than accurately shooting a gun (at least for hunting purposes) ..... I agree. There is something quite instinctive about shooting a gun well. Archery accuracy does require some fairly rigid form and execution characteristics and enough practice to turn them into engrained methods of shooting. However, to carry that thought out beyond that point and into such things as hunting dedication and hunting ability and responsibility and ethics really has nothing to do with the difficulty of using either weapon. If you or anyone else is trying to connect up ethics with any particular weapon, you should understand that there is no such connection. Responsible hunting is something that exists between the ears of the hunter and is not dependant on what weapon he/she is carrying.

I like that Doc, true, true

Very well said Doc!!

+1

erussel, first who is hunting in your area? I would check around and see if you can find out who hit the deer. You have one arrow, most likely the other hunter will have a few more like it in their quiver. Nothing you can do legally, but its good to give your 2 cents if you find out who hit the first buck. You may help someone to become a better hunter.

I asked around and no one has fessed up but i didnt think anyone would. A bow shot deer can travel a long distance when just wounded, so who knows where they came from.