Hunting Late Morning

mbucks27

Just wanted to see who agrees with me on this but i have been hunting for about 15 years now and i have always went out before first light to get into my stand plenty early. Most of the time (not always) i usually sit until about 8:00 and without seeing any action. I always feel like from 8-11 is the best time of the morning to be out there and have seen the most action during those times. Im starting to feel like im wasting my time getting up at 4:30 to get into my stand before first light when i can sleep till about 7:30 and get in the stand by 8 and hunt till about 12 not feeling tired from getting up so early. I know during the rut you can see deer at any time so its good to stay in all day but im talking about early and late season hunting. as a goof i wanted to put my theroy to the test so i slept until 8:00 yesterday morning and got in the stand by 8:45. I saw about 8 deer all up and browsing around and i also saw one nice buck chasing a doe at about 9:45. I know there are a lot of factors that play into this theroy but since in my 15 years of hunting i have never shot a buck at first light so im starting to wonder why the heck am i getting up so early to hunt when the best time to be in the woods is not until after 8 anyway. I would love to hear your opinions on this theory.

John

I agree with both.  I have been thinking now forever about sleeping in and going out about 7-8:00 cause I tend to never see deer till 8:30 or later regularly.  But there are those times when I get in early and do see them at first light.  I have noticed on thing over the years though.  During bow I see them later on, less pressure on them maybe?  But during Gun, I almost always see them at first light.  My opinion, during bow in our area of NY, sleep in and go out at 7-8:00.  During Gun, get in before first light.

I agree with both. I have been thinking now forever about sleeping in and going out about 7-8:00 cause I tend to never see deer till 8:30 or later regularly. But there are those times when I get in early and do see them at first light. I have noticed on thing over the years though. During bow I see them later on, less pressure on them maybe? But during Gun, I almost always see them at first light. My opinion, during bow in our area of NY, sleep in and go out at 7-8:00. During Gun, get in before first light.

I agree, during gun, I like to be in a stand or spot before I can even see my hand in front of my face. I see most deer from first light to about 7:30 during gun.

Fact is tho, you just never know, odds of seeing a big buck in bed are ZERO tho! :P

Edited by SteveNY

Your right but don't use it as an excuse to not get in early. I've said many time, i see the biggest deer moving from 9- 12noon. But that doesn't mean i'm sleeping in til then. Still think your best bet is getting in an hr. before and staying put. During the hard chasing i do still hunt to my best rut stand quite often. And i have a great set-up that requires a walk across a 40 acre field. That stand has become much better since we quit going in the dark.

Three times this year I have had 3 seperate 8 point at first light in 2 seperate stand one on public land LI and one on private upstate. But usually I dont like the mornings at all especially upstate my stands are deep in the woods and it takes a little while for them to filter in but 2 miles away my buddy has 2 nice feild edge stands that he has to get into way before light so they come back after he spooks them getting to his stand before they decide to just leave the feild until later he also needs to be in for an afternoon early so he doesnt bump them on their way back.

my buddy has 2 nice feild edge stands that he has to get into way before light so they come back after he spooks them getting to his stand before they decide to just leave the feild until later

Most of the areas I hunt are within 100 yards of or on field edges, its almost impossible for me to slip in when they are bedded in the fields or on the edges of them, which is why I mostly wait till light and hunt my way in. Ive shot a few deer doing just that in the past. Id rather have a chance at sneaking up on one than scaring a bunch away in the dark.

The only other consideration for being in a stand early is if someone pushes deer to you.Obviously if you are not there you won't get a shot. I know how you feel because I usually see deer later in the morning too, but as others have said I like to experience the woods come alive after sunrise.Mix it up and see what happens.

Thanks for all the great input guys. I wasnt trying to start this thread b/c i want to be lazy and sleep in. But sometimes i just feel like when im crunching the frozen leaves to my stand in the dark i am just doing more harm than good. I feel like its better to wait until the sun comes up and the ground softens up where i can sneak into my stand quietly without disturbing much on the way in. I guess it all depends on stand location and time of the year.

John

i had an old timer tell me "son theres no reason to get up at the crack of dawn and get out there before light". everyone does this, so go in around 830 900 and sit and when all the guys that got in there at dark will be getting up to get breakfast they willl be stirring the deer you will be sitting in the woods with deer moving. that will get the deer moving and your chances of seeing more is better. he also told me to sit till about 330 or so cuz thats when the guys that went out for a bite to eat will be coming back in the woods and the deer will be pushed around some more. he told me that he has tested this theory for the last 5 years and score on some really nice bucks.

little food for thought

lots of schools of thought going out there.. I prefer to let the late comers push the deer around and see what happens. (even though my least favorite thing is getting up at 0 dark thirty) Also, for those of you who do come in late please be careful of the "sound" shooters and other whackos, especially for those of you hunting on state land.

Have fun and enjoy !

I like to get in an hour ahead of time. Bow hunting it's almost mandatory, not that I haven't seen deer late in the a.m., but you've got to let the woods quiet down as much as possible. With the gun, I like to mooch hunt anyway. The other rule of thumb is, I wait close to 300 days for the season to open. I guess there's plenty of time to "sleep in' during that time period. I want to be in the woods as much as possible and give myself the chance to at least have a shot at it.

• Like 1

I like to get in an hour ahead of time. Bow hunting it's almost mandatory, not that I haven't seen deer late in the a.m., but you've got to let the woods quiet down as much as possible. With the gun, I like to mooch hunt anyway. The other rule of thumb is, I wait close to 300 days for the season to open. I guess there's plenty of time to "sleep in' during that time period. I want to be in the woods as much as possible and give myself the chance to at least have a shot at it.

Well said...

I will add to that last comment. You know to me there is a lot more to hunting than just harvesting a deer. I love to be out there when the woods wakes up. There is a finite number of sunrises I will be able to see in my life. I figure why not enjoy as many as possible. It doesnt cost me a thing and it really puts me in a good state of mind.

• Like 1

Accman, i would agree with you mostly but big bucks don't always play by the rules and i believe the really smart ones will pattern you alot easier than you will pattern them. They learn pretty quickly what your car door sound like, and they know if they see you traveling in on the same path at 5;30 that they should just hunker down til you come out again. On that same path by the way. Big bucks will also get back to cover much earlier than the does and small bucks. You may think your getting in there early enough but i'm not so sure you and the big guys are not heading into cover about the same time. You would be surprised to find how effective sneaking in to the outer fringe of a bucks core area from a different access and a different time can really catch them off guard.

I get to my spot well before light. On opening day and the second day I will sit all day. Let others push the deer around. I keep my flashlight handy to signal any latecomers to keep walking (I'm on public land). If I havent shot anything on the third or fourth day I will still hunt during the middle of the day. I just read somewhere that most big bucks are shot between 10 and 2.