Road Kill(s)

MuzzyLoader

Saw another buck get hit tonight on my way home. 4 or 6 point got blasted by an SUV that hardly had time to slow down in a 55 zone. SUV was more than likely totaled. I saw 4 fresh ones this morning that werent laying there last night, and a ton of fresh ones from over the weekend on my way to work. They are moving like crazy now.

Saw another buck get hit tonight on my way home. 4 or 6 point got blasted by an SUV that hardly had time to slow down in a 55 zone. SUV was more than likely totaled. I saw 4 fresh ones this morning that werent laying there last night, and a ton of fresh ones from over the weekend on my way to work. They are moving like crazy now.

Is this on 390 ?

last year 4 doe jumped out in front of me just off rt 17 by middletown, I slam on the brakes, and just skimmed the last one. she hobbled off with a limp. hunted all day, saw NOTHING. driving home, saw 10 does yarded up in a farmers field off exit 119. they sure ain't afraid of road noise and big trucks, but when they see orange in the woods, they RUN. I'm doing something wrong.

Ye. Driving on Route 17 on Sunday, there were tons of deer on the side of the road. But when i spent 8 hours in the woods, didnt see a single one.

Same here, from Monticello till route 6 there was at least 5 or 6 on the road dead.

Yea, they are all over, I counted at least 15 on the way home Sunday.

One around exit 99 had a big rack too...

Wonder if its legal to pull over and take the antlers.

Funny you say that... My father said he was gonna call me and tell me to bring the hack saw with me and saw it off on the way home...

I'd like to know the answer too... Maybe WNY can e-mail the DEC for us, he seems to get answered quickly. :)

Depends, 15A in Livonia is where I saw the one hit. There are a couple of freshies from the weekend on 390. Saw a bunch on 490 on the way to Churchville today, bunch on 15A south of Rush and 4 or 5 right around the corner from here.

I saw one buck dead near my house Sat. I had today off so I will see how many were hit on 104 west tomorrow.

Funny you say that... My father said he was gonna call me and tell me to bring the hack saw with me and saw it off on the way home...

I'd like to know the answer too... Maybe WNY can e-mail the DEC for us, he seems to get answered quickly. :)

I already know the answer, and it is no, you arent legally allowed to do it. You would have to get a tag for the animal from DEC or the police that respond to the call, and then you are supposed to take the whole animal. Is a cop or DEC officer going to bust your balls for it? Not unless they had nothing better to do.

I already know the answer, and it is no, you arent legally allowed to do it. You would have to get a tag for the animal from DEC or the police that respond to the call, and then you are supposed to take the whole animal. Is a cop or DEC officer going to bust your balls for it? Not unless they had nothing better to do.

Legal or not, I'm sure no one driving down the road is going to call the cops on you for hacking a dead deer.

I think they are talking about just removing the antlers not the head. can get some nice rattleing horns cheap.

I know. Again, if I was driving down the road and saw someone doing that, I wouldn't call the cops. I'll be thinking "Man...why didn't I think of that?"

I know. Again, if I was driving down the road and saw someone doing that, I wouldn't call the cops. I'll be thinking "Man...why didn't I think of that?"

I've had that same thought for years, need to keep a hacksaw in the car. problem is driving 65mph on rt 17 west it's hard to stop usually already passing deer when you see the head or can't see head at all.

Have taken 2 fresh roadkills in the past few years, tried for a third but the guy who hit it decided to keep it for sombody he knew. In each case it was still an accident scene. You wait for the sherrif - police to take care of business then the officer to fill out a possesion tag.

I'm at a slight loss understanding why somone would want roadkill antlers or even bother with the trouble if the possesion wasn't fresh. There is no thrill in roadkill recovery. To me it is simply a resource & not letting undestroyed venison go to waist.

Edited by Fantail