Hunting coyotes with a 22,,Anyone

Has anyone hunted coyotes with a 22 i have a freind of mine that wants me to go hunt his farm and shoot coytes i guess he has a ton on his property.Now he asked me if i had a 22 and i told him i id but i wasn't shure if i wanted to hunt a pack of dogs with a 22 from a ground blind lol.Now i was wondering if anyone has done this and how affective is a 22 on a dog!!

22 is legal for coyotes, and for short shots they do ok. Better to use a shotgun at closer range though. If you arent in a rifle area, you cant use centerfire during an open deer season. Also, dont be afraid of hunting coyotes, youve got a better chance of being struck by lightning in a snow storm than being attacked by a coyote. The last few times I went with my usual predator hunting partner, we have begun taking a rifle for longer shots and a shotgun for the short stuff. I dont do a ton of coyote hunting during deer season, but when I do, I just use my deer gun.

I go out with two guns most of the time. I use a Bushmaster chambered in .223 with a high power scope for long shots, using Federal ammo with Nosler ballistic tips (I suggest NOT using FMJ rounds). Also a 12 guage with 3.5" 00 buckshot (maybe overkill to some) for dogs that come in charging and up close.

Do not worry about coyote. They are 50x more afraid of you then you are of them. They are NOT aggressive. AND they are not as easy to hunt as you may think. They are damn addictive to hunt tho.

Edited by SteveNY

You're going to get some different opinions on this but I personally don't think a .22LR can take down a coyote consistently. Sure a well perfectly placed good shot will but I think you'll injure and lose a lot more coyotes than you will put down with a 22.

Edited by Elmo

just take a 22 out there...a .223, 22-250, .222 lol. They are all 22's

Thats tru too... lol

When I show people my .22LR Marlin they always want to try it out, then I take out the Bushmaster .223 and everyone is intimidated by it for some reason.

I've dropped one with a .22 mag at 40 yards... I squeezed the trigger, and it was a sight to see, He jumped straight in the air about 3 feet, fell down spun around for about 20 secs, and lay deader than a door nail.

My preferred .22 is my .22-250 savage, with a bull barrel, 6X24, and a bi-pod.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you kill a yote with .22? Yes. Is it ethical, people would argue. If .22 is the only one you have or can use then yes, go for it, grab a bunch of hollow pointers and always double tap...LOL Nothing wrong with helping the Farmer, even with .22

The .22 was actually the workhorse of the rimfire family long before many of the calibers on the market today. There is no question that it was more than likely used extensively for coyotes before the newer calibers. The .22 is quite capable of taking coyotes.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to velocity, the 17HMR packs a whole lot more punch than a 22LR. Sure, you can kill a lot of things with a 22LR (especially with the stinger or velocitor rounds) if you can get the proper shot placement. But I don't know too many animals who will sit still, present you with a perfect broadside shot 100% of the time. I have no personal experience on it but I've seen a lot of videos of people shooting something as small as a raccoon with a 22LR and the coon runs off. Took the person another 2 rounds to take it down. I want to be ethical and I'm humble enough to say I cannot make a perfect shot 100% of the time so I give myself a little extra "oomph" to account for when I make an off shot.