Opening weekend Disbelief!

njg0621

Don't sound like thieves or anti's to me. Thieves "steal" and anti's are typically to wimpy (my opinion) to pull off such a stunt. They might, in a big crowd they feel safe in, throw red paint on some woman wearing a fur coat, but this looks more like a couple of idiot guys pissed that someone is hunting in "their" place. I'm not sure why but it looks it looks me like a couple of local knuckleheads protecting their turf from "outsiders".

The town I live in started allowing bowhunting on town land (forever wild) to try and reduce the number of vehicle/deer colissions several years ago.I was told by the town parks employees that the first year a couple guys from about 45 minutes away, vandalized hunters vehicles.Could very well be anti-hunters.

This computer thing can be tricky from time to time and the actual message gets lost and/or wires get crossed. The point I was making was that the people who pull stuff like this are A-holes, note I was being nice and saying "knuckleheads"before, but that really does not do them justice. Nothing gives anyone the right to destroy another persons property and if and when caught they should not get off lightly. Some jail time and be made to pay back out of their own pockets would be a fitting start. A good old fashioned ass kicking by the guys trucks they damaged would be even better, but in this (again wimpy) world we live in, not likely to be allowed to happen without causing more harm to those already wronged.

The reason I say "locals" and "theirs" about the land is that has been my experience with my own land. It is funny how everyone is quick to point fingers at the "guys from the city", the "outsiders" or the "downstaters". There is good and bad in all groups, but some out there become extremely territorial with land they do NOT OWN but figure have some claim over because "we live here". I have had this battle over the years with my own property although not as much as when I first bought it 21 years ago. I had people come right up to me and tell me the had been "hunting here all my life" and "you ain't gonna stop me just because you bought it".

Well they were wrong! And I did for the most part but with some hell fought battles and the police and DEC involved at times. I even had a guy intentionally rain shot down over my 80 year old uncles head during turkey season with the threat made "next time I won't miss", flattened truck tires, and one moron who tossed my uncle off my land at gun point, and when I confronted him without first introducing myself the jerk told me had had been given exclusive "rights to the property by" and named me by name. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him he was a liar and that he did not even know the owner as "I AM THE OWNER" and threw him the hell out. An interesting side note to this guy was years later he came to my house and apologized for his behaviors. He had joined the military and said the incident continued to bother him and he wanted to make things right. I accepted and shook his hand and never heard of him again.

I guess that is why my thinking was more likely somebody close by, with knowledge of the area, an imaginary bone to pick with people the don't even know, a sense of ownership over something they have no right to, and likely a close by place to quick go hide. But, like I said this is just my guess to a real "who done it" and I am sure I am a better hunter than detective. And looking at me inside with the flu now and an empty meat pole I'm starting to question the hunter part as well. LOL!

Sorry if you miss interpreted my previous post and I'm even sorrier that you and the other hunters fell prey to such jerks. Hope the rest of your season is better.

NYH

Edited by New York Hillbilly

Sounds like locals. Only they would have enough balls to pull this off. They know where you go in the woods and where you must exit. One guy keeps an eye out for the hunters while the others destroy your property. The breaking of multiple windows demostrates rage also, not simple theft.

I didn't mean to imply I thought you were wrong New York hillbilly. My grandfather had a small farm once and one of the locals told us he didn't care about posted signs he hunts everywhere. He always wanted to know what we shot and he didn't wan't people on his property.It could be locals.

Had the same conversation a few years back. The locals told us we only owned the land when we were there and when we weren't they did.

I would go with anit hunters or some stupid kids that know no better. It sucks hope they catch them. Funny thing there has been nothing about it in the news. I live in albany schenectady and heard nothing of it until here. The news stations sure are quick to put something on the news if someone shoots someone.

Hey 132 eight pointer, on that note, a funny story. Probably could use a laugh by now. A buddy of mine owns a pretty substantial chunk of land not far down the road from me. He came to the house one day and told me how he ran into a guy trespassing on his land that morning when he was deer hunting.

He said when the guy saw him coming he started to make fast tracks through the woods to escape. My buddy yelled out "hey wait a minute, I own this land and I'm not mad, I just want to ask you something." He said the guy turned around and started walking back his way. When they met up my buddy smiled and introduced himself, asked the guy his name and where he was from, then told him "they're nice woods, huh?". The guy replied "yes". He then asked the guy if he liked hunting on his land. The guy said "yes", and that he had been doing it "for years". My buddy then told him that he owns several hundred acres and he mostly hunts by himself and sometimes a few family members. And, that he had just had

a good idea, that he would let the trespasser hunt the land as if it were his own if he agreed to split the tax bill each year when it came due. The guy jumped at the offer and said, "sure how much is that", to which my buddy honestly told him what the bill would be. My buddy said the guys face turned all kinds of distorted and he said "no f-ing way". My buddy then told him, "Oh I get it you just want to hunt my land for free while I have to pay all that money myself for the same privilege. Well I wish I could have that kind of deal somewhere to, but I can't. So, seeing you don't want to take me up on the offer, I am telling you to leave now, and if you ever come back and I catch you, I will have you arrested. Got it!" My buddy said the guy said "OK" turned and left.

We both cracked up about it over a cup of coffee but the sad truth is that the guy was no different than a lot of people out there.

Man, what a shame.

Think you're right in ruling out thieves and addicts...they most likely would have taken the rest as well to sell later.

What's most disturbing is how bold they were to spend so much time ransacking the truck. I'd be cautious with the loss of the wallet, assuming drivers licence and home address inside. Pretty obvious that these wackos aren't thinking clearly in the first place may just be dumb enough to go for a big heist back at the ranch to scoop up any hunting gear..especially weapons.

sorry to hear about your bad luck on a day you look forward to all year. there is an older woman in my area that is an anti hunter and every year on opening day she puts out these huge speakers and plays music real loud thinking it'll scare all the dear away. lol

Oh yeah and the only lead we have right now is it is a red car with a white door. This was done in Rensselaer County so if you have any leads please pm me or contact the authorities, these guys need to go to jail. Thanks!

That absolutely sucks .... I hope a Hunter catches them and offers some field justice .... carry an extra Brown Coat for such an ocassion !
  • Like 1