This is what happens when you don't secure your ladder stand or wear a harness . . .

Deerthug

After hunting for 25 years this Minneapolis man fell when this year his ladder stand came away from the tree. He fell 15 feet flat onto his back. Now he's a paraplegic-paralyzed from the waist down. The article doesn't say anything about him wearing a harness or not. I'm sure if he was, he would still be able to walk today . . . Just something to think about when you are climbing your treestand . . . WEAR A DAMN HARNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.kare11.co...?storyid=947848

Edited by Deerthug

he was climbing up when he fell.Doesnt mean he wasn't going to harness off when he got up.The step came out it said.Wonder what that means really.Wonder if the treestand broke.I know i harness off when i get in my stand.But there is that area of danger between getting in and out of my stand.That is the area that this guy was in.

Its awfull.

I've been seriously considering getting one of those 'lifeline' ropes with the prusic knot.

I agree... it is dangerous getting in/out of the stand w/o anything holding you should you slip. And being 65, I must agree my climbing strength ain't what it use to be - even though I'd sometimes like to think it was.

I don't go in a treestand unless I have the harness on but I have had Brain Farts . i remember sitting in the stand for a few minutes relaxing and then thinking , hey dumb ass , you have the harness on -----not attach it to the tree . I guess they call that a Senior Moment !

he was climbing up when he fell.Doesnt mean he wasn't going to harness off when he got up.The step came out it said.Wonder what that means really.Wonder if the treestand broke.I know i harness off when i get in my stand.But there is that area of danger between getting in and out of my stand.That is the area that this guy was in.

Its awfull.

That's NO excuse. That's what they make "Lifelines" for! You're attached to that Lifeline from the time your feet leave the ground until you climb back down and your feet touch ground again.

I have heard so many horror stories about guys falling out of tree stands. I have 2 ladder stands on my property which I use. From the minute that I start climbing the ladder, I am attached to a safety line with my harness via pursait(sp) knot. It stays attached until I get my feet on the ground. My buddy says I am too perinoid about falling but so be it.

If you do not use a harness...that = a dumb azz.

I have hunted many times from a tree stand (climer) and all I can say is dumb axx for not using. WTF is so hard about using one? Would YOU rather be a statistic,layin there,unable to move in major pain saying to yourself,"F,I never thought in a million years,this would happen to me,GOD, please, let someone hear or find me" God I love my wife and kids....please don't let it end THIS way,. I could go on and on as well as anyone.....I beg of you guys,to use a harness,even a simple friggin rope you tied yourself will work.So atleast you hang there .....not fall on your thick stupid axx scull for NOT using something.Think of your wife,kids,grandchildren and parents....they don't deserve that.

EDIT: I mean no offense guys and ladies,but please use your noggin in a positive way....your loved ones will love you for it.

Edited by Single_shot

"When I pulled up the step came out and I fell 15 feet flat on my back. I was thinking on the way down, this is not going to be good," Day said.

Sounds like a screw in tree step pulled out. Basic rule of climbing is to keep three points of contact at all times (i.e. to move only on hand or one foot at a time). Had one push out under my foot last year but nothing happened as I had the extra points of contact. Have since switched to climbing sticks. They're easier to set up and climb.

Even with a harness you can get injured with a fall or die if you hang there long enough. At least that's what I've been told in fall protection training at work. Fortunately I haven't put that to the test yet.

I don't know....if I ever accidently slipped out of my stand in this tree I'd probably just hang there like a piece of laundry out to dry. I always make sure my harness is strapped to whatever tree my climber is attached to. I think trying to stay connected in some situations may make the climb more dangerous than it needs to be.

DSC_3006.jpg

For what its worth, last year after hunting from ladder stands and wood permanent stands for 44 years I took a fall. I have used a commercial construction parachute harness. That's the yellow that I'm wearing in my picture.

Our own fault, hunted from a Goriila for years and never had a problem. Bought one of those 16' wide platforms with a seat and when it came time to take it down all hell broke loose. I unclipped the strap around the tree and the stand came away with me on the top step. It was stopped by the midway strap but the ladder started to bend backwards. I held on and hung until it got to the ground and I landed and rolled like a paratrooper. It hurt, went to the clinic for xrays and MRI, nothing broke. I was lucky. Now here is some advice, 1st when we checked the directions, my brother hadn't attached the midway straps in the right location, this stand didn't have hooks to clip to like a Gorilla, you just picked an anchor point. 2nd when you take a stand down throw a line, a long line around the tree at the platform. Hold tension on both strands of that line in one hand to keep the stand against the tree as you climb back down. Hopefully my mistake and lesson learned will save someone else the trouble.

For my climber, Im strapped to the tree at all times. Hang ons, prussic for the climb up and down and strapped to the tree while in it. Ladder stands, strapped in once Im up. Havent figured a way to use a lifeline with a ladder stand yet that would actually not injure you almost as much as falling without it.

I love my 2 person ladder stand, and plan on picking up a couple more for next season, but for most spots, I have fallen in love with hang ons. The ability to use a linemans belt to set them up, and easy use of the prussic for the regular climb up and down just make them the safest option in my eyes. Second to that would be my climber. Just remember, with a climber, keep the two sections tied together, preferably with an easily adjustable length strap, so the foot section cant possibly fall far enough to be out of reach for your feet. Ive had mine slip a couple of times this year, and if I didnt have that strap, I might have been sitting on my top rail for a while, or fallen and been hanging from my harness. Safety first.

This may be dumb...but...how do you attach a life line with out having to climb up with out it in the first place? and where do you attach it...if to the say ladder stand ..if stand falls well....there ya go...I never trust straps...all my stands that aren't built and even one of those..... has a heavy chain c link and padlock holding the stand asa backup to strap....the ladders have those two wrap around lines...the stabilizer bar and I put another ratchet strap between the stabilizer bar and the foot platform...to climb up I have a deep heavy hook on a short line I reach up hook over a rung and climb move the hook above me as I go....wrapped the hook in duct tape to keep away the metal to metal sound

You're not required to be tied off when working on/climbing a ladder per OSHA. I think it's the same thing for a line man climbing a utility pole with the steps on it. Best thing to do every time is take a step back, look at the ladder/climbing stick and think before going up. Hopefully you'll spot anything amiss and avoid rushing up the thing.