Predicting the future......

Robhuntandfish

I am curious and would love to watch ..actually I am 1:25 in and already want to punch this condescending asshat in the face. ...unless it’s you BowManMike- you cool!

Will try again later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's such an arrogant prick.

#LessOverzealousMods #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I am curious and would love to watch ..actually I am 1:25 in and already want to punch this condescending asshat in the face. ...unless it’s you BowManMike- you cool!

Will try again later

If you can stand it he makes some good points. I do realize he is a bit much.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

You are kidding,right? 40 fps difference in speed will not make a difference in a deer ducking an arrow. 

Deer drop a body size in a 10th of a second or approximate 30 ft.per second, so distance of shot becomes the main factor. Faster speed only.lets you shoot a fraction longer distance. Or maybe 3 yards in this case.  It really wont help much unless speed per sec is much higher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Deer drop a body size in a 10th of a second or approximate 30 ft.per second, so distance of shot becomes the main factor. Faster speed only.lets you shoot a fraction longer distance. Or maybe 3 yards in this case.  It really wont help much unless speed per sec is much higher.

My point exactly. Speed is overhyped.Especially on shots under 30 yds. A bigger factor is how alert a deer is,but even that doesn't guarantee the reaction of it or lack of reaction.

Of course the drop of the arrow is greater at higher weight,but that also only becomes and issue past 30 yds. Know your distance and it will be ok,though I dont see myself shooting further than that.

I am not shooting a heavy arrow so I dont have to aim very closely,i shoot a heavy arrow for the situation that the deer is not where it was when i released the arrow. Plan B. Shooting foam and shooting a possibly very jumpy target are different things.

Edited by BowmanMike
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

My point exactly. Speed is overhyped.Especially on shots under 30 yds. A bigger factor is how alert a deer is,but even that doesn't guarantee the reaction of it or lack of reaction.

Of course the drop of the arrow is greater at higher weight,but that also only becomes and issue past 30 yds. Know your distance and it will be ok,though I dont see myself shooting further than that.

I am not shooting a heavy arrow so I dont have to aim very closely,i shoot a heavy arrow for the situation that the deer is not where it was when i released the arrow. Plan B. Shooting foam and shooting a possibly very jumpy target are different things.

I cant figure out how anyone kills a deer with 400g arrows 

39 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm curious what difference you've noticed between shooting deer with the different weight arrows.

I will report back after October. This is the first season for my heavy setup. 

Did you hit the front shoulder on the supposed exit on your buck last year? I remember your arrow sticking out a good way on a quartering away shot. That angle generally has an arrow path with little bone in the way until you get to the front shoulder.

If you miss the front shoulder it should have been a pass through. Obviously it didn't matter since you found the buck no problem.

I went to heavy arrows so i don't have to be afraid of the shoulder if i should hit it. I won't aim for it or take quartering to shots,but stuff happens in the deer woods.

My main point is any arrow will kill a deer when you hit the boiler room,but when you don't i want some extra insurance that a scapula is not stopping my arrow.

It is about confidencein ones setup. I would not feel confident with a mechanical on a light arrow. Personal preference. I am not telling you what to shoot. I am just offering a point of view that is different from yours. Take it or leave it.

20 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Did you hit the front shoulder on the supposed exit on your buck last year? I remember your arrow sticking out a good way on a quartering away shot. That angle generally has an arrow path with little bone in the way until you get to the front shoulder.

If you miss the front shoulder it should have been a pass through. Obviously it didn't matter since you found the buck no problem.

I went to heavy arrows so i don't have to be afraid of the shoulder if i should hit it. I won't aim for it or take quartering to shots,but stuff happens in the deer woods.

My main point is any arrow will kill a deer when you hit the boiler room,but when you don't i want some extra insurance that a scapula is not stopping my arrow.

It is about confidencein ones setup. I would not feel confident with a mechanical on a light arrow. Personal preference. I am not telling you what to shoot. I am just offering a point of view that is different from yours. Take it or leave it.

That last deer i shot was quartering away ,I was on the ground when I shot. Arrow entered just at the back of the ribs and was sticking out the opposite side , never hit a shoulder . Deer jumped a few times and expired .

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

Im going up about 135 grains this year to 488. Not extreme heavy like the RF touts but fairly heavy. I was shooting with @Lawdwaz and said watch my flight, see if you see any waggle and he said I couldnt see it well but that bow is QUIET! 

You were shooting that light of an arrow last year? 

30 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Some how I found the picture from the harvest thread last year ,this is the exit side . The entry is the tail end of the ribs on the other side . I'm shooting a 2 cutting diameter mechanical which I guess isnt ideal for a 60 pound bow .

20191027_073119-1.jpg

• Like 1

Some how I found the picture from the harvest thread last year ,this is the exit side . The entry is the tail end of the ribs on the other side . I'm shooting a 2 cutting diameter mechanical which I guess isnt ideal for a 60 pound bow .
20191027_073119-1.thumb.jpg.340de1e6127759cad55df5090d1ab5be.jpg
Bro you gotta up your poundage. Hit the gym

#WeDemandADislikeButton

1 minute ago, The Jerkman said:

Need to get an elite maxed out at 80lbs. Feels like you're drawing 30

#WeDemandADislikeButton

I shoot 3d with it too ,I'm not getting nor do I need more then a 60 pound bow for whitetail.

I shoot 3d with it too ,I'm not getting nor do I need more then a 60 pound bow for whitetail.
Well for 3d you definitely don't need to be pulling heavy especially with the shot numbers you guys take. Your shoulder would be 10x the side of your off side

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Last year I shot a buck quartering to (not ideal) and hit him just inside the scapula without touching it. I got one lung and thats it, the arrow stayed in him. Rage head. Never again. I bet Ive seen 1000 shots on TV with the Rage and 80% dont go through. No more light setups or Rage for me

So is it the the head or the weight? If that head was on a heavier arrow do you have more confidence for a Pass through? Or would a broad head on the same arrow pass through?
Clearly speculation but it’s not Oct 1 so what else got to do but speculate

20 minutes ago, crappyice said:

So is it the the head or the weight? If that head was on a heavier arrow do you have more confidence for a Pass through? Or would a broad head on the same arrow pass through?

Or the speed ,that's the big argument all the time .

23 minutes ago, crappyice said:

It is both the head and the weight. A mechanical takes a big amount of energy to open and the wide blade angle is more like pushing a knife through your steak than slicing it. A heavier arrow looses energy slower so it would be better in that scenario,but a fixed head is better yet for penetration because of the smaller cutting diameter and steeper angle of cut. A quartering to shot is tough with any head because it is very difficult to get both lungs without going through the shoulder. 

Mechanicals leave a great bloodtrail when they work,but angled shots can be sketchy with them. One blade will make contact and the other doesn't so it torques your arrow wasting energy. That is more so if you hit a rib on entry.

Shoot whatever gives you confidence though,that's no. 1.

• Like 1