Predicting the future......

Robhuntandfish

1 hour ago, The Jerkman said:

Bro you gotta up your poundage. Hit the gym

#LessOverzealousMods #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Why I shoot 52 lbs and go through deer all the time.. no need for shoulder injuries.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, crappyice said:

So is it the the head or the weight? If that head was on a heavier arrow do you have more confidence for a Pass through? Or would a broad head on the same arrow pass through?
Clearly speculation but it’s not Oct 1 so what else got to do but speculate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Or the speed ,that's the big argument all the time .

A combination of the three. And the poor shot choice, Im not excusing that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

It is both the head and the weight. A mechanical takes a big amount of energy to open and the wide blade angle is more like pushing a knife through your steak than slicing it. A heavier arrow looses energy slower so it would be better in that scenario,but a fixed head is better yet for penetration because of the smaller cutting diameter and steeper angle of cut. A quartering to shot is tough with any head because it is very difficult to get both lungs without going through the shoulder. 

Mechanicals leave a great bloodtrail when they work,but angled shots can be sketchy with them. One blade will make contact and the other doesn't so it torques your arrow wasting energy. That is more so if you hit a rib on entry.

Shoot whatever gives you confidence though,that's no. 1.

your explanation is why i choose fixed broadheads with bow and xbow. to me, there's no significant benefit to a mechanical head that makes it worth ever trying. 

• Like 2

your explanation is why i choose fixed broadheads with bow and xbow. to me, there's no significant benefit to a mechanical head that makes it worth ever trying. 
Typically better flight and twice the cutting diameter isn't a benefit? I shoot NAP Spitfire Maxx heads, those are 3 blade over the top deployment with a big cut and still get full penetration on deer. I've shot a lot of deer with those heads and can't think of a single time the arrow didn't pass through. I guess I could say there's no benefit to me for shooting a fixed head. I'm getting complete passthroughs and double the cutting diameter.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Typically better flight and twice the cutting diameter isn't a benefit? I shoot NAP Spitfire Maxx heads, those are 3 blade over the top deployment with a big cut and still get full penetration on deer. I've shot a lot of deer with those heads and can't think of a single time the arrow didn't pass through. I guess I could say there's no benefit to me for shooting a fixed head. I'm getting complete passthroughs and double the cutting diameter.

Is it really a noticeable better flight at 15-35 yards though? i don't know the answer. I just know a fixed broadhead is open. I only shoot 51lbs., so for me it's the smarter move i think. With the xbow, both bucks i killed with fixed the arrow went through and then beyond another 30-40 yards like it wasn't even slowed down. 1 was broadside and the other was front shirt pocket and out the back hip. both went through so fast i thought i missed low but it was the lighted nock flying beyond the deer. both died right there in plain sight immediately. and my xbow is old (2011) and doesn't shoot 300fps+ like the new ones.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Is it really a noticeable better flight at 15-35 yards though? i don't know the answer. I just know a fixed broadhead is open. I only shoot 51lbs., so for me it's the smarter move i think.
51lbs is really light so you'd be better off sticking with a fixed head probably, or jumping up in draw weight. The smaller, more compact the head the better they will fly. I want heads that fly straight out to 60, only because then I'm ultra confident at any range out to 60. If you've never shot mechanicals I can see the anxiety of not having exposed blades, but let me reassure you, they work really well on whitetails.

15 minutes ago, chrisw said:

51lbs is really light so you'd be better off sticking with a fixed head probably, or jumping up in draw weight. The smaller, more compact the head the better they will fly. I want heads that fly straight out to 60, only because then I'm ultra confident at any range out to 60. If you've never shot mechanicals I can see the anxiety of not having exposed blades, but let me reassure you, they work really well on whitetails.

I hear ya, but based on the experience with 200lb xbow there's no way im risking ever trying a mechanical even out of the more powerful xbow.

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I hear ya, but based on the experience with 200lb xbow there's no way im risking ever trying a mechanical even out of the more powerful xbow.

If your setup is working for you, no need to change anything, especially at 51 lbs.  But from a powerful bow/crossbow, mechanicals can do massive damage resulting in quick death and crazy blood trails.  But if you're happy with the current results, keep doing what your doing. 

• Like 2

Just now, johnplav said:

If your setup is working for you, no need to change anything, especially at 51 lbs.  But from a powerful bow/crossbow, mechanicals can do massive damage resulting in quick death and crazy blood trails.  But if you're happy with the current results, keep doing what your doing. 

2 for 2 with no bloodtrails yet. dead on spot.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

The last two deer I've taken with the xbow were with Rage mechanicals. I was skeptical of mechanicals in general for years. Gotta say I was very pleased with the results.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

The last two deer I've taken with the xbow were with Rage mechanicals. I was skeptical of mechanicals in general for years. Gotta say I was very pleased with the results.

wait till you try the excalibur boltcutters (150gr)!

• Like 1

I've been using Rage hybrids with my crossbow and they're devastating.  I'll use them again for x-bow. 

They also did a good job from my compound too, but this year I think I'm going back to Muzzy 3 blades or MX-3s.

Ill see which fly better... although I don't shoot very far, so there may not be any difference. 

Back to predictions... I take at least one deer with each, and none with a gun. 

1650260826_7pt17.thumb.jpg.13a87cc563ab07c1f2ef6af3a2ed199f.jpg1032316212_7pt9.thumb.JPG.0b6f05580d646fd21c927aaa3651051f.JPG 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Is it really a noticeable better flight at 15-35 yards though? i don't know the answer. I just know a fixed broadhead is open. I only shoot 51lbs., so for me it's the smarter move i think. With the xbow, both bucks i killed with fixed the arrow went through and then beyond another 30-40 yards like it wasn't even slowed down. 1 was broadside and the other was front shirt pocket and out the back hip. both went through so fast i thought i missed low but it was the lighted nock flying beyond the deer. both died right there in plain sight immediately. and my xbow is old (2011) and doesn't shoot 300fps+ like the new ones.

Didn't your dad have a issue with a fixed broadhead from his crossbow last season ?

I predict that the debate between mechanical vs fixed will never end even though it doesn't matter but to the person using it.  It's the old chevy vs ford debate.

My actual prediction for deer season is someone in the western part of the state will kill a monster.  I will probably see a nice one but will only end up with a doe.  I always have a rough year after having a good one.

9 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I predict that the debate between mechanical vs fixed will never end even though it doesn't matter but to the person using it.  It's the old chevy vs ford debate.

My actual prediction for deer season is someone in the western part of the state will kill a monster.  I will probably see a nice one but will only end up with a doe.  I always have a rough year after having a good one.

They both kill equally as good if the hunter does their job. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

They both kill equally as good if the hunter does their job. 

Not quite, especially from a crossbow.  The scientific study that was done on a military base, which Culver posted last year, showed a very significant advantage of the crossbow with mechanical broadheads over all other combinations.  I can't be the only one here who bought that data can I ?

That also agrees with my own experiences over 37 archery seasons, although I have yet to try a fixed broadhead on a deer with my crossbow.  Since my recovery rate with that and mechanicals stands at 100 % (5 for 5), the only way I would try a fixed broadhead would be if I ran out of mechanicals or at gun-point.

2 hours ago, chrisw said:

It is good to hear that about the NAP Spitfires.  That is what I am using this year.  Do you use the 100 grain and what is your launch speed.  I am launching the 100's at 280ish and 370 fps.

It is good to hear that about the NAP Spitfires.  That is what I am using this year.  Do you use the 100 grain and what is your launch speed.  I am launching the 100's at 280ish and 370 fps.

I'm shooting the 100's at about 300fps. You'll love them!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Not quite, especially from a crossbow.  The scientific study that was done on a military base, which Culver posted last year, showed a very significant advantage of the crossbow with mechanical broadheads over all other combinations.  I can't be the only one here who bought that data can I ?

That also agrees with my own experiences over 37 archery seasons, although I have yet to try a fixed broadhead on a deer with my crossbow.  Since my recovery rate with that and mechanicals stands at 100 % (5 for 5), the only way I would try a fixed broadhead would be if I ran out of mechanicals or at gun-point.

A broadhead through the heart is game over ,fixed or expandable .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

A broadhead through the heart is game over ,fixed or expandable .

Agreed, even a field tip will do it there.  More than likely, the mechanical from the crossbow has the edge on recovery percentage for a combination of: 1) always strikes closer to same point of aim as field tip, 2) larger cutting diameter improves blood trail and increases chances of striking vitals.

From vertical bows, those advantages might not be enough to overcome the additional energy required for blade deployment since there is usually a lot less "extra" energy available.  The study that I referenced showed no significant advantage for the mechanical from a vertical.  

My personal experience with verticals and mechanicals is limited to a single shot.  That one struck very far from my point of aim, but still resulted in a short 40 yard recovery.  My recovery percentage with fixed broadheads from a vertical compound bow was significantly less than the 100 % that I enjoyed with both that single shot and five with my crossbow, using mechanicals.

Edited by wolc123

I predict some will fill many tags and others will not. I predict some dandy bucks taken and some very nice does. Many freezers will be filled.

I also predict the "Live From" thread will have too much chat from office chairs and hot tubs.

Season's almost here folks, best of luck to everyone this year.