grouse in my stand with me

screamon demon

Great pics, had the same thing happen at one of our ladder stands, the grouse was there for about a week straight. Every time someone would sit there it would come around, sit on the stemps or just hang out by the stand. It was crazy,the only thing we could figure was that there were alot of wild grapes and maybe they had fermented and the grouse was a little bit drunk. Never shot a deer out of the stand but it was probably one of my favorite times on stand.Does anyone have an explanation as to why this would of happened?

Edited by shantysitter

That is amazing! I am all up for a night of braised Grouse but that guy seems to friendly to hurt lol. I've attempted to bow one from my stand once (missed by an inch twice!) but I don't think I would have the heart to grab him and wring his neck in that situation. I'd probably name him lol.

Great pics, had the same thing happen at one of our ladder stands, the grouse was there for about a week straight. Every time someone would sit there it would come around, sit on the stemps or just hang out by the stand. It was crazy,the only thing we could figure was that there were alot of wild grapes and maybe they had fermented and the grouse was a little bit drunk. Never shot a deer out of the stand but it was probably one of my favorite times on stand.Does anyone have an explanation as to why this would of happened?

Actually, for some reason female grouse are 'known' for this behavior. Sometimes males will confront people to kick their butts, (much like a turkey or even a buck that gets it in his head that a person is competition) but the hens have been known to follow guys around and spend a lot of time with them in what we might call a friendly, non-aggressive manner. For guys that run an ATV, lawnmower, tractor or chainsaw, etc, it is thought that the low frequencies of the motor 'putting' are similar to a male grouse's drumming and so it attracts the ladies. Sometimes though you will just get one that is very friendly, like yours. I've seen videos with them sitting on guys heads and shoulders, and one that even let people pet her. If you get on youtube.com and search things like "Friendly grouse" and "pet grouse" and such you will get a lot of hits. There are other guys that have grouse that visit their stands, and one has a grouse that follows him into his trailer!

Actually, for some reason female grouse are 'known' for this behavior. Sometimes males will confront people to kick their butts, (much like a turkey or even a buck that gets it in his head that a person is competition) but the hens have been known to follow guys around and spend a lot of time with them in what we might call a friendly, non-aggressive manner. For guys that run an ATV, lawnmower, tractor or chainsaw, etc, it is thought that the low frequencies of the motor 'putting' are similar to a male grouse's drumming and so it attracts the ladies. Sometimes though you will just get one that is very friendly, like yours. I've seen videos with them sitting on guys heads and shoulders, and one that even let people pet her. If you get on youtube.com and search things like "Friendly grouse" and "pet grouse" and such you will get a lot of hits. There are other guys that have grouse that visit their stands, and one has a grouse that follows him into his trailer!

Ive heard of this before. It was on the news one time. Some guy had a female grouse that would fly out of the woods and ride on his shoulder everytime he would get on his 4 wheeler and ride around. It was pretty cool. I had a male pheasent one summer that would come out of the woods and run around the yrd eating bugs every time I would mow the lawn. He was pretty cool. And when I was a kid we had a bobwhite quail that just appeared out of knowhere and hung out with our chickens he even struted and chased hens around it was hilarious.