Do you guys make your own safety line ?

luberhill

I have made 4 of them. I bought climbing rope from EMS when they were here in Buffalo. At the time it was less than half of what HSS was selling them for.  I would NOT use just any old rope, you need a rope with a specific stretch rating as well as weight rating, or maybe a static rope. I'm not saying either way, but if you are going to do it make sure you talk to a climbing expert, I am not. Your life depends on it.

• Like 1

I use rope I got when I worked for the FD, and we got new bailout systems , we could keep our old ones, and many gave me theirs . If your “nylon “ rope is static kermantle climbing rope sure , if it’s slippery plastic feeling stuff form Lowe’s , Hell no that can be to slippery for the Prusik or any self tensioning hitch to grab  . Also the line you make into a closed loop, then tie into a Prusik needs to be of a smaller diameter ,then the safety line .

• Like 2

Ya I know from experience. I once used a black plastic like rope , wasn’t 100% reliable. I do, test my equipment ,and am always tightening  up the Prusik before and as I climb .

When I started bow hunting , I used chunks of 2x4 tied to the tree with clothes line as steps to climb and tied a rope around my waist once up !

I returned my safety line from Dick's clothing store (that's all they are now), that was recalled and bought the HHS safety line with the refund, so it cost me nothing. The HHS looks like standard climbing rope, 7mm accessory rope and a caribiner, but for $20, it seemed like a no brainer. It would cost me as much to make my own.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have never made my own safety line, but I have made my own lineman’s strap out of an extra 1/2” dock line that was new last year. Line and Prussic are same size/same rope. I have hung off the prussic while it was on the dock line, no problem. 

I do need to replace my safety line. Mine was the recalled one from Dick’s. Never brought it back. 

Question: when you get to height and climb onto your stand, do you remain connected to the safety line, or do you connect to a different one?

I have been reconnecting to the tree strap that came with my HSS harness. Last year was the first season i used a hang on. Still working out some kinks. 

34 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I have never made my own safety line, but I have made my own lineman’s strap out of an extra 1/2” dock line that was new last year. Line and Prussic are same size/same rope. I have hung off the prussic while it was on the dock line, no problem. 

I do need to replace my safety line. Mine was the recalled one from Dick’s. Never brought it back. 

Question: when you get to height and climb onto your stand, do you remain connected to the safety line, or do you connect to a different one?

I have been reconnecting to the tree strap that came with my HSS harness. Last year was the first season i used a hang on. Still working out some kinks. 

I stay connected to my safety line

• Like 1

On most of my hang on stands I have a safety line that I use to climb with and then I clip my safety vest to loop on the tree. I don’t leave the ground without being clipped in. I’ve made it to 62 with only one near accident and I certainly don’t bounce well anymore.

As to the idea of making my own safety lines, I did that ten years ago but now I just use factory made lines. Every tree with a safety line and a loop around the tree.

3 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I’m all ladder stands now, with one Lone Wolf hang on,I may use every few years . I climb the ladders unattached, and clip to a strap when I get up . The ladders my daughter uses has a safety line she clips to on the ground ,but she didn’t spend 28 years climbing ladders on burning buildings . Hers she doesn’t reattach , no need the line is around the tree high enough . 

• Thanks 1

I'm putting a pytel grigri on my harness so I can descend or ascend using a Prussik like friction hitch for my redundant backup. They make black static and dynamic ropes just for humans. If your going in a tree using a rope, Arborist videos are very informative