New AR areas in 2012

Dave

Sure glad that 4P is on the list,will see if it works in a few years.Still not going to stop the pochers though.They found a deer body near me at the end of archery season( small caliber gun shot) ( no head) but its jewels were there.All year I had a nice less then a year old button buck which turned out to be a 4" spike.I sure hope someone did not shoot him because he would have been a dandy next year.

Sure glad that 4P is on the list,will see if it works in a few years.Still not going to stop the pochers though.They found a deer body near me at the end of archery season( small caliber gun shot) ( no head) but its jewels were there.All year I had a nice less then a year old button buck which turned out to be a 4" spike.I sure hope someone did not shoot him because he would have been a dandy next year.

See now this post just makes me sad for this guy and guys like him. It's true that these issues are looked at by many as a head gear issue many times and i guess i do it myself. But how can you not. My gosh, this guy is dreaming about what a button or spike would have been like if it had lived one more year and that, for him, would be a dandy.. I just can't imagine what that must be like. What exactly are those poachers poaching? That local legandary 6 pointer.
  • Like 1

I would like to know from the anti AR guys if they feel their area is doing just fine the way it is? You have very strong feelings about not changing anything. Are you saying that this is as good as it gets and that the plan currently in place is working perfectly fine.

Absolutely,100%, wouldn't change a thing, what we have is perfect!

From spikers to slammers we have it all in my area and to tell you the truth, I just love the variety!

When the big fish aren't biting, I've got plenty of action with the little ones to pull through the slow times... and bye golly sometimes one of them is a keeper for the day depending on my mindset.

Last year was a 3 1/2 yo 11pt, and this year a 1 1/2yo spiker. I just never know what's gonna trip my trigger any given day.. and frankly, I could care less who doesn't like the choices I make for my reasons.

• Like 1

LOL dave thanks for the laughs I needed that, Last 2 post were great!!!

Orion I understand both of your post and don't believe that AR state wide is a valid choice. But in area's that have it the hunters are getting good results and many seem to be pleased. I believe that is due to high population like you said before that is needed and due to great food access, low predation and low winter kills. That I believe is why it is working in the area's right now. Most of the AR area's have great habitat for deer in my opinion.

That being said, not all of NY is even close to this type of area. Between the lake effect weather the TugHill, Adirondack, and Catskill Moutian ranges, finger lake area, hudson valley, schoharie, Mohawk,Black, st.laurence and champlain river basin's we have a large diversity of lands. Farms, state land, private lots, city limits, restricted parks managed and unmanaged lands equal a very diverse landscape across our state. Weather paterns and food avaliblity vary from county city and even towns causing a more comlex variable.

Again the main reason for my pro stance is I believe it would improve the heard. That improvement would equate to a better class of deer, in my opinion. Granted that might not equate to hunters getting a better class of deer but that could be what happens when bucks get old, they get smarter. This does not mean hunters will not have a chance at a buck, it should mean they would have a better chance at more bucks in better overall health, in my opinion. That is the way I see AR. I understand you can not generalize our state or even regions with this, it really needs to be a county overall aproval by majority hunter vote that would make it fair to all. I would make majority over 75% and make avalible management permits for people who still wanted to hunt spikes, to allow them additional options, Esp if food was a primary reason for hunting but would be managed in some form to allow the AR restrictions to take effect and over time reduced to none. This would appease the extra 25% I would hope.

I agree this restriction is not good for hunting but it should equate to a older smarter animal and improved overall heard, in my opinion... Resulting in a larger range of deer to choose from. I realize some will call me a elitist or that I don't care about the future of our sport because I am for AR in certian area's and that is OK. It's just a fourum and my words I hope do not hurt anyone or cause them to stop hunting. And despite anything I post here the DEC will not be swayed one way or another...

Doc you really have to figure out what side of the fence(face) you are going to talk from.If you go back to post #76 you say .But now you say life is good in your woods. Its not that it really has bearing on my hunting but i just cant figure out where you are at in your posts!!!

Actually there was nothing said about "its real hard if not impossible to shoot any any kind of deer in my woods" The entire actual quote was "I have to say that that quote is a bit strange. Out here in the real world, there is no such thing as an easy harvest of any deer. That would include big buck, small buck, baby buck or any kind of a doe or fawn. I have to believe that that comment was made in jest".

That quote was in response to another quote captioned in the previous reply that claimed that you can "Walk in any woods that have deer tracks and food...Boom..work done..." (which I don't happen to agree with. I guess I have more respect for all deer than to think that way). I was just stating that no deer can be taken for granted, and no deer is guaranteed to be that easy to get. That doesn't mean that life is not "good in the woods". I guess I am not one of those that needs, or even wants, deer hunting to be an easy activity. So, for me, it is possible to not have monster deer behind every tree and still enjoy the hunting that is being afforded.

I hope that clears up any confusion that my posts might have caused.

That is clear enough for me. I kinda took that first post as there were not alot of deer in your area. So harvest would not be real easy. I myself can see on both side of the fence on the ar deal, The part i dont understand is some of the ones that are against ar without ever thinking about givin it a shot are the same ones that say there are no deer in there area or atleast no bucks.

If you never do anything to change something...Well......

That is clear enough for me. I kinda took that first post as there were not alot of deer in your area. So harvest would not be real easy. I myself can see on both side of the fence on the ar deal, The part i dont understand is some of the ones that are against ar without ever thinking about givin it a shot are the same ones that say there are no deer in there area or atleast no bucks.

If you never do anything to change something...Well......

Ha-ha .... I live and hunt in 8N. There is no shortage of deer here.

From spikers to slammers we have it all in my area and to tell you the truth, I just love the variety!

When the big fish aren't biting, I've got plenty of action with the little ones to pull through the slow times... and bye golly sometimes one of them is a keeper for the day depending on my mindset.

Last year was a 3 1/2 yo 11pt, and this year a 1 1/2yo spiker. I just never know what's gonna trip my trigger any given day.. and frankly, I could care less who doesn't like the choices I make for my reasons.

My thinking exactly, one never know do one.

Well Said !
  • Like 1

I actually agree with you also Wooly. I put that question out there, not to be sarcastic or anything, but simply to find out if anyone truelly feels things are good right now.. This thread asked which ones would you prefer and the responces from non AR guys made me wonder if they are satisfied or if they just don't want things messed with. I've said that i don't need restrictions because i have my own self impossed ones along with most of the neighbors in the area. I'm still a hunters choice guy but If i was in one of those poor deer quality areas, i would be very open to any changes to make things better. Also was curious where the satisfied hunters are and with your vote i see 4 western NY'ers..

I actually agree with you also Wooly. I put that question out there, not to be sarcastic or anything, but simply to find out if anyone truelly feels things are good right now.. This thread asked which ones would you prefer and the responces from non AR guys made me wonder if they are satisfied or if they just don't want things messed with. I've said that i don't need restrictions because i have my own self impossed ones along with most of the neighbors in the area. I'm still a hunters choice guy but If i was in one of those poor deer quality areas, i would be very open to any changes to make things better. Also was curious where the satisfied hunters are and with your vote i see 4 western NY'ers..

Definitely satisfied down here. I saw 10 of them on a lawn down the road from where I hunt. Now if only they would wander to where I sit. Seriously, though, there are no shortage of deer where I hunt.

I kinda sorta agree with you guys. If there was a mix of decent bucks around here I would prefer to leave it to the hunter to choose. The odds of a buck in my area making it to his 2nd birthday are pretty slim. Due to the # of hunters and the acceptance of tagging deer with wife's ,gf ,mothers,etc... tags. I have passed on every young buck that walks past me over the years on my property. Only to see them hanging on someones meat pole. Any of the 2 1/2 year or older bucks I have shot over the years have come from somewhere else. I am sure there are many areas just like this throughout the state. Obviously not everywhere though. I have a few friends living less than 15 miles away that talk about all the small bucks and 8's and 10's etc.. they see. The only difference in their hunting area ,is that they and their neighbors pass on smaller bucks.

I believe AR would lead to a healthier deer herd and increased odds of seeing an older class of buck.

• Like 1