How much do you shoot?

Buckmaster7600

Just offering to help. Many guys are sure they understand the right way so I understand. Sometimes there’s things we don’t know though. Stance, Shoulder position, elbow position, grip, draw, release, follow through is consistent among all bows or would be best if it was. Incorrect grip leads to string slap as well. I’m glad you’re good. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Just offering to help. Many guys are sure they understand the right way so I understand. Sometimes there’s things we don’t know though. Stance, Shoulder position, elbow position, grip, draw, release, follow through is consistent among all bows or would be best if it was. Incorrect grip leads to string slap as well. I’m glad you’re good. 

Follow through is my biggest down fall.  I know when I'm not doing it realized I shoot to the left when I don't follow through.  Makes a big difference with my thumb release.

• Like 1

Look up archery learning center. George Ryal has a very interesting way of using the thumb release. It’s using proper back tension and you fire it like a hinge. You’ll not know exactly when it’s firing, the back tension results in follow through. A string bow if you know what that is can help practice form. 
Remember an arrow stays with the string a long time. Further than you think. Any deviation in form can result in misses. Your hand should wind up near your shoulder upon release. You’re pushing your elbow back, not pulling the string.

Imaginr you’re on a school bus and someone is pushing your elbow. You push back. Once they are gone your follow through naturally occurs. 

I’ll see if I can find a Clay Hayes video about that. Seeing it may help you visualize. He’s a styk guy but follow through is follow through. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Imaginr you’re on a school bus and someone is pushing your elbow. You push back. Once they are gone your follow through naturally occurs. 

Best tip I have heard for anyone to achieve back tension and feel it.   Push the elbow back don’t pull the string.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

See if this helps you understand

Good video.  Next year my biggest adjustment is getting better at back tension.  when I feel like I'm doing it right my shots are good but it's at that point I still think about it and it hasn't become second nature.  Thanks for the video 

1 hour ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Look up archery learning center. George Ryal has a very interesting way of using the thumb release. It’s using proper back tension and you fire it like a hinge. You’ll not know exactly when it’s firing, the back tension results in follow through. A string bow if you know what that is can help practice form. 
Remember an arrow stays with the string a long time. Further than you think. Any deviation in form can result in misses. Your hand should wind up near your shoulder upon release. You’re pushing your elbow back, not pulling the string.

I’ll see if I can find a Clay Hayes video about that. Seeing it may help you visualize. He’s a styk guy but follow through is follow through. 

That guy is GRIV on archery talk right? When he posts I listen

it's funny everyone talks about hinges, index triggers, and thumb triggers. very few people shoot a true back tension/resistance activated release. both carter and stan make them. i'm sure there must be others.
That's because to the common archer they are scary and dangerous. They take time and practice. Half the people shooting a bow are worrying about a 1000 things already....than throw a hinge into the mix and people run like crazy.

My goal for this winter is to work with a hinge release for 3d..... currently shooting a thumb release but wanna progress to a true hinge.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

That's because to the common archer they are scary and dangerous. They take time and practice. Half the people shooting a bow are worrying about a 1000 things already....than throw a hinge into the mix and people run like crazy.

My goal for this winter is to work with a hinge release for 3d..... currently shooting a thumb release but wanna progress to a true hinge.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

You wont find it to be difficult at all. A friend has a tension release and thats a bit scary. Im not interested in it because I dont want two drastically different release methods from 3D to hunting

You wont find it to be difficult at all. A friend has a tension release and thats a bit scary. Im not interested in it because I dont want two drastically different release methods from 3D to hunting
Agreed. I could definitely hunt with a hinge. Tension/resistance activated release is whole different though. Still set at weight that's about 5 lbs heavier than holding weight. Still after you let that button safety off anything can happen if you give it a tug harder into the back wall for whatever reason (i.e. wind gusts, bow taking off on ya, etc).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

New to archery this year, bought my 1st bow just about four weeks ago. I’ve been shooting daily from different positions around the yard. I’ve been breaking my “sessions” into group of 12-15 shots per session, no more that 36 shots in a day. At first I was grouping all those shots at once cause I really enjoyed shoot, but noticed that I would shoot beyond fatigue, and get sloppy.