Did anyone hunt with a crossbow?

Lever action

next year it will be implemented in the hunter safety classes. It is alloted 15 minutes out of the class. So, as stated you will get more on here. We have been given a video to show in class. Until then, you have to take the self study and fill out the certificate, which I might add is more than was ever utilized for muzzleloaders which everyone bought and had no clue about them and headed out.

Excellent Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harvest of a buck with any bow, during SO. muzzle loader season is terrific, congrats. Was DEC .paying closer attention to those who harvested a deer with a crossbow? Was there more questions asked on the Decals program, then with firearms?

Good question,don't know if the DEC is keeping record of deer harvested with crossbow.I know when I reported my 2 deer crossbows were never mentioned.

I used my excalibur crossbow during the NZ rifle season in 6K. I recall the automated phone system had crossbow as an option when I phoned in my 6K anterless permit harvest. I could be wrong but I thought it was an option for method of kill.

I used my excalibur crossbow during the NZ rifle season in 6K. I recall the automated phone system had crossbow as an option when I phoned in my 6K anterless permit harvest. I could be wrong but I thought it was an option for method of kill.

Your probably right,I may have answered before they completed the list of weapons to use.

I would like to run this by, see what u think. Where do you think the crossbow harvest numbers will be in the summary, for NYS 2011 season harvest? Archery. Even though crossbows are only allowed in archery season. Their will be a spike in archery harvest numbers. Maybe this was the goal for the archers, that were against crossbow in archery season, get the archery harvest numbers higher, using crossbows without crossbow use in the season. Or maybe this was the goal of the DEC. With the magic DEC wand, they will shoot out a higher

number. With another wave of the wand, they will tell how many used the crossbow. Some please explain to me how this state operates.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

The DEC has already said they will be keeping track of crossbow harvests separately. The numbers should be pretty accurate if people report their kills properly.

DEC's meathodology isnt always that hard to understand if you read up on what they are doing.

Easy to understand ..... not always so easy to believe ..... lol. Actually, the numbers would be very good if they were a bit more diligent in enforcing the law that requires reporting.

yepper, we all hunted with them, including three 'yard bows that haven't seen action since '72, it was a good time had by all and three older fellas who dont have ny interest in flintlocking with us hunted 4 days each with their old crossbows, only one did not tag out but we dont measure a good day by weight in the truck so he had a ball too.

I was very happy two of the fellas went this year with their old crossbows as it will likely be their last season, and they have never hunted in NY since the state allowed the mechanical compounds, this brought them back and it was good to see.