Boar hunting ?

jkzfixme

I know this is a weird question to ask in a NY based forum but you guys have been really helpful on other occasions , and someone just might know off the top of their head.

So here is the deal , I am looking to run up to PA and do some boar hunting. I really don't want to bother with any of these " preserve " or guided hunt situations.

So I'm hoping someone might know of some state land that is in need of Boar eradication !

anyways any word from the wise would be greatly appreciated !

Merry Christmas to you and yours !

In the cortland area of CNY some wild hogs got loose from a canned hunt place. My buddy and i searched all over on the borders of the game farm on state land, no luck, but we've heard stories about people gettin hogs from around there on state land. must be we dint go at the right time or something

has anyone even shot a pig in NY that was not out a canned hunt?? alls i hear for years is stories of pigs in NY but it seems to be just that, stories... hundreds of thousands of cams rolling in NY and no pigs caught on cam?? let alone someone killing one.

jkzfixme: i would contact the local conservation in PA and ask them. im sure they can shed some insight on the matter...

has anyone even shot a pig in NY that was not out a canned hunt??

Yes ..... a farmer in Bristol shot one that was bedeviling his livestock. I believe they theorized that about 5 of these russian boars escaped a defunct farm in Livonia. That was a few years back, and the Canandaigua Messenger carried the story along with pictures. That's probably not the only case, but it is the only one that I have heard of where somebody actually shot one. Also, I saw photos of a small band of hogs taken in the Allegany Park. I will say that until recently, the legality of shooting one of these things was not all that clear. So it is likely that people might have had opportunities to knock one off but didn't dare pull the trigger.

I am aware of couple of confirmed kills here in southern Steuben County in the last couple of years.

However, both of them were big, hairy Russian types which were probably escapees from the Tioga Boar Farm, a hunting preserve about 30 miles south of here..