Re-stringing a bow

Karpteach

Sounds like something you want to do yourself? That's a job that I haven't tackled since they went away from the steel cables .... lol. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Obviously it can't be rocket science, but I would definitely require some "in-person" help at least for the first one. It would be a good thing to know since it's not a real cheap thing to do. The only thing I know for sure is that you have to go out and buy a bow-press. After that ...... I haven't a clue....lol.

You will definitely need a bow press and make sure you buy the proper string & cable / cables . Cabelas sells a cable bow press that works fairly well ( I bought one ) . You have to back off the limb bolts on most bows to do a change so don't forget that .

Check with a couple local bow shops and ask what they charge to restring a bow and then decide if you really want to do it yourself .

i usually have a guy at gander change my string and cables for me he charges $29 install fee. usually with the new cables string and install it usually runs me just under $80 for everything and thats picking any color string you want. also the guy usally tosses everything back on for me the peep and everything else and i make a few tweaks here and there.

It's not really rocket science if you have a press. The best thing to do is take pics of everything before removing strings for a referance. The tricky part is getting everything back to specs. once the new strings are on. If you were closer to me I would tell you to bring it into the shop and I'll take care of ya. If you have any ?'s feel free to ask I can walk you through it.

Make sure you get a quality set of string and cables. You will have nothing but problems if not. I suggest JBK Bowstrings. That's what I use on all my bows and everyone elses. If your going to take it somewhere I suggest a actual proshop and not a big box store

• 1 month later...

I used to change my old compound bow strings before you needed a press. I just had C&B Archery in Hicksville change the string and tune my Mathews. Thought I could do it myself but I was wrong. The owner Ralph did the work and he really knew his stuff. Glad I tried them, very nice experience. I also learnt what is meant by tuning a bow.

Edited by wooffer