Ouch

sampotter

Found this 2yr old dead yesterday while pulling stands. Had him alive on a trail cam @5:30 am on 12/12. Late that same afternoon there was a suspicious pickup creeping up and down the road not 100 yards from where I found him. No obvious wounds, but his hindquarters were eaten. A few minutes later I found the skeleton of a yearling buck 50 yards away from the first one. Woulda liked to still have them both around.

post-50-0-26271500-1324739385_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-38407900-1324739393_thumb.jpg

Can coyotes take down a healthy buck like that ? Or would a hind end wound followed by animals scavenging on the carcass be more likely ? I know coyotes can kill a wounded deer but I didn't think an adult healthy deer would be killed by coyotes.

If a deer is surrounded by them, I would imagine that it's definitely possible. There's no question that coyotes would go for the rear end, rather than risk getting gored by the antlers. I've found deer torn up by coyotes, that definitely were young, healthy deer.

When I lived in Fishkill, I literally watched a coyote kill a fawn. He/she ate a portion of the hind quarters, and actually drug it underneath the steps where I lived, and I assume, stored it for future use. At least that's been my experience.

I think I saw more suspicions pickups than deer this year ! Maybe his wife hit it and he went back to collect so he could tell his buddy's he shot it.... ?

I've found 5 coyote killed deer so far since season started, and there is usually just a pile of bones and fur, but I'm no expert

I'm not stating one way, or the other. When the episode was posted on the site, however, when the buck was killed by coyotes, at the end, where the coyotes were gone, only a portion of the hind quarters were eaten. Obviously, it would depend upon how long the deer was there. I just don't see how a cotote, or even 2 coyotes, are going to eat a whole deer in a short time. I know that I shot a doe on Ridgefield Farm in Fishkill one year, and ended up having to search for it the next morning. The coyotes had gotten to it overnight, as there were tracks in the snow around it. They only took a little bit of the hind quarters, and that was it. As to why they constantly target the hind quarters-who knows?