My Custom Springfield 03-A3

Just finished this project rifle. WWII Springfield 03-A3 in .30-06 with custom barrel, trigger, Bell ; Carlson Composite stock, Williams sights and a fantastic bluing job. Weighs 8 pounds in the field with ammo and sling. Total cost as is was only $600.

post-1918-0-19214100-1327173573_thumb.jp

post-1918-0-41119100-1327173580_thumb.jp

post-1918-0-12171500-1327173589_thumb.jp

post-1918-0-93751100-1327173594_thumb.jp

Edited by Grouse

It's a Bell & Carlson Carbelite model in grey with black webbing. Pretty much their basic model but still goes for almost $200 with the shipping. If you click on one of the photos it should show you an enlarged picture.

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 1

That's right, it is. Even went with the standard recoil pad rather than the Pachmayr Decellerator upgrade. The 8lb weight should be just enough to make it easy to carry but comfortable on recoil. I plan to sight it in with 180 grain loads and use it primarily for bear hunting.

I'm going to shoot it again with 180 grain hunting loads in a couple of weeks. I'll be trying about four different brands, including some boat tail bullets in some reloads. I want to see which rounds will give the best accuracy and will stick with them from now on. I really like 180 grain boat tail soft points for hunting, so I hope they come out on top.

Thanks. That is the total for everything. I got the barreled action for $200 from a guy who couldn't finish the rifle. He had it barreled years ago and it sat in his safe since then. I got the trigger and floor plate at a gun show in PA for $100. I had it blued by a friend for $50, got the sights on an online gun auction for $50 and the B&C stock was $200. I supplied all of the time, elbow grease and sweat to put it all together. If you have the time and look around, you can get this stuff for old Springfields pretty cheap.

Edited by Grouse