Johnplav’s low scoring bucks

johnplav

11 hours ago, johnplav said:

First up... almost a record 4 point, but it’s a six.  And he’s now the bottle opener in my basement.  What’s it score??

4C84D6AF-9739-4048-B060-CE4F5A0476FA.jpeg

9338C5AC-1FC3-491B-BAB8-F54F3B705E6D.png

Did you do the euro yourself ?  If so, what was the process, and how long did it take ?

I do my own, by skinning the head (takes me about 10 minutes), then blowing everything else off with a 3100 psi power washer (takes 30 minutes and a tank and a half of gas).  I get suited up in rain gear and do it out on a concrete pad.  The vermin always clean up all the mess overnight. 

The easy cleanup is nice, but I also like that the job is done, start to finish, in under an hour.  Best of all, the final product always turns out better than those I have done the using the old fashioned, "simmer and scrape" way.  

This method would not have worked so well 25 years ago, when the outside temperature seldom rose above freezing after opening day of gun season.  Just another side benefit of global warming I guess.

20210101_124215.jpg

20210101_124152.jpg

Edited by wolc123

11 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Did you do the euro yourself ?  If so, what was the process, and how long did it take ?

I do my own, by skinning the head (takes me about 10 minutes), then blowing everything else off with a 3100 psi power washer (takes 30 minutes and a tank and a half of gas).  I get suited up in rain gear and do it out on a concrete pad.  The vermin always clean up all the mess overnight. 

The easy cleanup is nice, but I also like that the job is done, start to finish, in under an hour.  Best of all, the final product always turns out better than those I have done the using the old fashioned, "simmer and scrape" way.  

This method would not have worked so well 25 years ago, when the outside temperature seldom rose above freezing after opening day of gun season.  Just another side benefit of global warming I guess.

20210101_124215.jpg

20210101_124152.jpg

I usually simmer and scrape.. but I should try pressure wash 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnplav said:

I usually simmer and scrape.. but I should try pressure wash 

The only concern I have, with the pressure washed ones, is making sure to get all the soft tissue blasted out of the interior spaces.  I must have missed a little on one I did for a friend a few years ago.  His wife complained of the smell and their dog was acting funny for a while, when they first  hung it in their house.  He moved it out to his barn for a few months, before bringing it back inside.

I have not noticed any smell from those I have done for myself.  Just to be safe, I also leave the "fresh" ones, out in my barn for a few months.  "Joe" is still hanging out there.  The last photo is of the others I have done the previuos 4 seasons:

20210101_125331.jpg

20210101_125204.jpg

8 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

How do you get to these estimates just by pics?

First is really a mainframe 10 with a couple extra inches from split brow and point on  rt brow base.  Use ears as about 6” to compare tine length and compare ears to rack for spread..  Like I said general guess but probably reasonably close.  Also you can guess mass measurements by experience pretty close if you have measured a few.   

maybe Lomax will disclose and we can see if I was in the ballpark. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

First is really a mainframe 10 with a couple extra inches from split brow and point on  rt brow base.  Use ears as about 6” to compare tine length and compare ears to rack for spread..  Like I said general guess but probably reasonably close.  

I always have a hard time judging the circumference measurements

4 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Good guess but Little off on the 12   

Close on the 8...132 gross 128 net 

12 didn’t look long tined and I really scored it as a 10 plus 2”.   Guessing I was a bit light?   Great bucks regardless.  

Edited by moog5050

Moog is pretty spot on in his judgement method.  Spread, tine length and thickness and points all tally score.  I have measured a few and need to do some I haven’t done yet.  
By measuring a few and harvesting mature bux it becomes a little easier to judge score in the field.
In 2006 on opening day afternoon me and a buddy hunted a pinch point about 200 yds apart and he ended up shooting a monster buck when I walked up on it it’s horns were sticking above the corn they had been picked he asked me what it scored I told him mid 160s and he had it officially scored and it scored 164 ....I guess if you around some big bucks you know what they are size wise in the woods pretty quickly the hard part is letting the 130s go so they become 140s to 160s because it can happen in one year just so hard to let them go When you’ve spent hours on the stand I guess it’s all patience and maturing and faith.  

Keep guessing on the 12

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Moog is pretty spot on in his judgement method.  Spread, tine length and thickness and points all tally score.  I have measured a few and need to do some I haven’t done yet.  
By measuring a few and harvesting mature bux it becomes a little easier to judge score in the field.
In 2006 on opening day afternoon me and a buddy hunted a pinch point about 200 yds apart and he ended up shooting a monster buck when I walked up on it it’s horns were sticking above the corn they had been picked he asked me what it scored I told him mid 160s and he had it officially scored and it scored 164 ....I guess if you around some big bucks you know what they are size wise in the woods pretty quickly the hard part is letting the 130s go so they become 140s to 160s because it can happen in one year just so hard to let them go When you’ve spent hours on the stand I guess it’s all patience and maturing and faith.  

Keep guessing on the 12

I am guessing the 12 scored less that the 8?

18 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

12 didn’t look long tined and I really scored it as a 10 plus 2”.   Guessing I was a bit light?   Great bucks regardless.  

Yeah the 12 is lighter he is  115.  Pics and spread make him appear bigger  

thanks Moog!